thoughts on the fortin zuul vs the isp decimator gstring

• Thread starter dxjxrose
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dxjxrose

Reaction score
wondering if its worth the money if it really works that much better

LeftOurEyes

Reaction score
Well they cost the same new, so unless you're talking about the ISP used then yes it is worth the money. The Zuul is better, but not by a whole lot. The downside to the Zuul is that you need another pedal or buffer that will split the signal if you want to use the pedal before the amp and in the loop, the ISP doesn't.

dxjxrose

Reaction score
Thats not an issue ill build a buffer splutter just seems like it clamps shut faster which i like

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You can't use the Zuul both places without two pedals... it gates once, period. If it's in front of the amp it gates before the amp, if it is in the loop it gates at the loop, not both. The key input is used so you pass in a pre-distortion signal for it to track to gate better.

I've seen some intentionally misleading posts about this in other places...

They're both great gates, and I've got a Zuul here currently. I have seen a couple guys have issues with noise from the Zuul when used with some OD pedals and haven't seen a description of what causes it.

Slippery_Pete

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You can't use the Zuul both places without two pedals... it gates once, period. If it's in front of the amp it gates before the amp, if it is in the loop it gates at the loop, not both. The key input is used so you pass in a pre-distortion signal for it to track to gate better.

They're both great gates, and I've got a Zuul here currently. I have seen a couple guys have issues with noise from the Zuul when used with some OD pedals and haven't seen a description of what causes it.

It’s called ground loops. That’s what causes the noise. When you use a ground lift cable it will help.

Deadpool_25

Gearwhore no more? Nope. Still a gearwhore. :(
Reaction score
The key input on the Zuul is a game changer for me. I’m not currently using any gates in the new rig but if I was I’d put the Zuul in front for gating, and probably the Rocktron Reaction Hush in the loop to get rid of high-gain hiss. After using the Hush vs a gate in the loop, I much prefer the Hush.

LCW

Reaction score
Quick little demo with Zuul in Fx loop and using Key Input... Also I run the TU3's 'Output' to the Key Input, and the TU3's 'Bypass' to front of amp (through pedals). That way, the tuner mutes the Key Input for quiet tunning. Otherwise running the Bypass to the Key would trigger the gate causing pre-amp noise to slip through when tuning. Only downside is tuner only mutes everything when the gate is on, which isn't that big a deal, as I keep it on.

dxjxrose

Reaction score
Ive read about the noise using the key input issue kinda worries me lol

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
The G-String has worked wonders for me for 5 years now. Such an awesome addition to any rig.

4Eyes

Reaction score
I have a G-String and it works great for me, it's couple of years, now.

Zuul may be great gate, but need to have separate splitter/stereo pedal to use key input would be a deal breaker for me, if I was in a search for noise gate.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score

You're right of course. I do feel however that the key input almost allows it to serve as a front-end gate too in terms of end result. Given that its using the same signal a front end gate would, it can be set more aggressively, being applied to a compressed signal but with uncompressed settings so to speak. Essentially gating off the same ratio of noise that a front end gate would, but after its been amplified.
That made a lot more sense in my head than with words :lol:

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have a G-String and it works great for me, it's couple of years, now.

Zuul may be great gate, but need to have separate splitter/stereo pedal to use key input would be a deal breaker for me, if I was in a search for noise gate.

It was a great marketing move to motivate the die hard Fortin guys to buy his buffer/splitter too though :lol:

You're right of course. I do feel however that the key input almost allows it to serve as a front-end gate too in terms of end result. Given that its using the same signal a front end gate would, it can be set more aggressively, being applied to a compressed signal but with uncompressed settings so to speak. Essentially gating off the same ratio of noise that a front end gate would, but after its been amplified.
That made a lot more sense in my head than with words :lol:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Yeah I mean if you are gating at the loop you are gating the whole signal and the key makes when it gates more accurate... but you're still not gating at both places. For most applications a single gate is going to be fine anyways.

oniduder

HONKEY DONKEY
Reaction score
i bought a zuul, kept my g rack, then bought another g rack, but my ears are shite, also i like the gatekeper a la pigtronix, bery bery nice if you ask me,