Three Different Mixes - Which Is Best?

• Thread starter jinxist
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jinxist

Reaction score
These three new tracks will be included in my upcoming EP "Neon Devil". Each of them has slightly different mixes.

Could you all please help me in choosing the better one? Or aspects of each one that you think helps push the mix. Also, please feel free to let me know what you think of my style on these tracks. I do like Djent...But I'm trying not to be too cliche :lol:

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/jinxist/downer[/SC]

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/jinxist/jabberwocky-1[/SC]

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/jinxist/solarsphere[/SC]

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

iceythe

SS.org Irregular
Reaction score
The first one, dude! Pull back the snare a little, bring up bass and it's a keeper.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
+1 for the first one. Bass is way to present in the second one, and the third sounds a bit too bright/thin. I'm ok with the very loud snare. The mix as a whole could use a tiny bit of low end added in to fill it out (or just boost a tiny bit of the lowest bits of the bass), but that's mostly a personal preference. Otherwise, good stuff. :yesway:

prozak

Pathfinder
Reaction score
I like all of them, very well done! What @iceythe said about the first one, pull back the snare, it's simply too loud.

noUser01

Still can't play.
Reaction score
I'm inclined to say the first, and I agree with the snare being pulled down. However, I do feel like in all three the guitars need some EQ tweaking. Drums and bass are sounding great but the guitars have little beef to them, and they sound a little lo-fi and disconnected from the rest of the mix. I hear lots of high end sizzle but no bite or presence, and lots of mid and crunch but no thickness. That's just my take on it though! I think all three mixes are still sounding really good.

jinxist

Reaction score
Guys, thank you all so much for the input. I've been trying nail down a good mix template for the majority of my songs. I have been working with them, in fact I started with the mix (from scratch) on Solarsphere, then tweaked some things and got the mix heard on Jabberwocky, then brought the bass down and tweaked MORE things (lol) and ended up with the mix heard on Downer. I'm getting closer and closer to having the mix I truly like (for now). After the comments about dialing that snare back, I can totally hear it. I took a few days away from listening to the mixes and just thinking about the comments and then revisiting them with fresh ears (is that a thing..?) And I agree. I can't wait to get home and tweak again and show you all something great. I hope when I drop the album you will all be on board and check it! Once again, mad love for this community \m,/