Tigran Hamasyan - Jazz +world music +meshuggah +fempop

• Thread starter wankerness
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wankerness

Reaction score
That is definitely a sick, sick song.

I really with I had the time and talent to work up a good guitar cover/arrangement of The Court Jester. I think those romantic-sounding rolling arpeggios on the piano would sound nice on a classical guitar, do the vocals on a steel string acoustic, and the sax on an electric guitar... Maybe some day.

The scores posted on the last page here are pretty good, you could pretty easily transfer them to other instruments if you have Finale.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nyx Erebos

Reaction score
I've seen him at jazz in Marciac, it was glorious. There were loads of jazz geniuses but I'm pretty sure he is the one who made the biggest impression on the crowd (well maybe with Hiromi Uehara).

wankerness

Reaction score
I've seen him at jazz in Marciac, it was glorious. There were loads of jazz geniuses but I'm pretty sure he is the one who made the biggest impression on the crowd (well maybe with Hiromi Uehara).

I am so jealous of you French, he hasn't played with his full group setups in this country for a long time. :wallbash:

Malkav

Washing your dishes.
Reaction score
I really wish there were a full version of him doing this, but for all those talking about Drip here's Tigran playing it on a couch :D

That is some mad percushion :D

CyborgSlunk

Reaction score
Music genius is something that shouldnt be thrown around too much, but damn, if this dude isnt one, i don´t know. He just lives and breathes his music, and its both inspiring and depressing that I wont ever achieve this level of musical skill.

Nykur_Myrkvi

Reaction score
Finally got a physical copy of Shadow Theater somewhere between my last post here and now. It's just so damn good!

wankerness

Reaction score
Where did you get a copy from??

You can get it off amazon, you've been able to for a while, it just used to cost like 25 bucks cause it was a french import. I think it's legitimately released in this country now. It's definitely gotten cheaper.

I need to buy Red Hail still. It's quite a different album, it's a lot spazzier and has a lot more improvisation to it, but it's definitely the second best thing out there. :p I can't wait for his next album in this vein, though based on his previous catalog his next album might be another primarily solo piano one.

JosephAOI

Thinks Jazz = Metal
Reaction score
Yeah, I knew that there were imports on amazon but I've been looking for an American version just for the sake of having it :lol:

Nykur_Myrkvi

Reaction score
I got mine off Amazon.co.uk. It had been quite expensive but suddenly there was one copy left for 5 quid so I jumped on that deal without giving it a second thought.

AugmentedFourth

X:1 K:C [c^f]|
Reaction score
Worked on transcribing most of "Corrupt." Only thing I really haven't done is any of Tigran's parts (besides the obvious guitar double) :lol: I am pretty much lost when it comes to picking out chords like that... especially with the arrangement this dense.

Tigran_Hamasyan_-_Corrupt.gp5

jonajon91

New Picture
Reaction score
Can anyone help me get some info on the folk songs that influenced Drip? I have found two pieces of sheet music that could be what I am looking for, but there is a bit of a problem that I don't speak Armenian.
One bookreader demo
Two bookreader demo

Anyone got any names or interviews I can check out?

wankerness

Reaction score
What are you asking for, exactly? You can get recordings of that piece, both contemporary and non, by searching its name. I dunno what kind of names you're looking for or interviews you'd find on any song, though. I assume you did this already to have even found those sheet music things (or did you get a direct link to them from somewhere?). Anyway, they're both "Jur kuga verin saren" according to translator, aka Water From the Mountain, it seems to be on myspace but it won't play, so here's an amazon sample of it (it's not on youtube):

http://www.amazon.com/Water-Mountain-kuga-verin-saren/dp/B0010YP0WS

It seems to be by Komitas. Did you mean to link two different arrangements of the same song? It's definitely what the first section of Drip is based on, I dunno about the bridge section.

How did you even get links to two separate scores of it if you didn't know what it was called? :scratch: One book is Komitas Vol 1 and the other is Vol 3 and the pieces have exactly the same title.

jonajon91

New Picture
Reaction score
^ yeah, I lifted those two links from straight from the YouTube comment section. I also found last night that there is another song called 'esor urpat e' which I am going to look for after I am done typing here.
May as well explain why I want the sources so much, I have a new piece of coursework at my uni to write a folk song taking heavy inspiration from one or two existing folk songs. I figured this would be a great opportunity to carry on looking at drip and Tigran while kind of doing work.

jonajon91

New Picture
Reaction score
Woohoo! New music!

I'm still digesting shadow Theater

---edit---

I hope we get treated to more of Areni's beautiful vocals.

Malkav

Washing your dishes.
Reaction score
I hope we get treated to more of Areni's beautiful vocals.

Oh hell yes! So awesome :3

Also I highly agree, I feel Areni is literally the perfect fit for his music and I hope that she remains a life long staple of his band :)