Tigran Hamasyan - Jazz +world music +meshuggah +fempop

• Thread starter wankerness
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jonajon91

New Picture
Reaction score
Currently working on a transcription for Holy. I on;y have the first 2-3 minutes of vocals down so far, but it's a hell of a lot easier than drip. that's for sure.
Also, god damn, I love this song

wankerness

Reaction score
Did you hear the original? It's weird how close it is. I'll have to look it up when I get home from work, it mentioned it in the CD booklet.

jonajon91

New Picture
Reaction score
I looked for it, but I never found it. If you could link it, that would be awesome.

wankerness

Reaction score
I looked for it, but I never found it. If you could link it, that would be awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmafu7FBicQ#t=48 There's Holy. It's basically the same thing without any modern chordal flourishes, and obviously with a very different vocal style considering when it was written/recorded and the genre.

Erishta, Drip and Pagan Lullabye are all labelled as "from traditional melodies" and list a region, but I definitely couldn't find any of the real source material via youtube without any name to go on. Here's some from the region that Drip was sourced to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l90RO3j_VIA

jonajon91

New Picture
Reaction score
This is all I have for 'holy' so far, it's just the vocal part so far, piano and bassoon to come (at some point). It gets a little messy around the end with time signatures though if someone can listen through and see if I have it right, a fresh pair of ears, that would be awesome.

https://www.mediafire.com/?dq8lvlpt22nv7bp

CaptainD00M

Lungsman
Reaction score

I absolutely love this and as someone who's a die-hard fan of Meshuggah, Tori Amos, Pat Metheny, Imogen Heap, Pain of Salvation's early stuff, and Maria Schneider Orchestra this is just like the most perfect music I've ever heard.

WARNING: no guitar, just electric bass

Tori Amos - Raining Blood Cover = Interesting.

That is all.

jonajon91

New Picture
Reaction score
I have started working on the piano transcription for holy, but this is no strong area for me. My query here is that in bar four, it looks like he has used parallel 5ths which is a harmony faux pas so really I must be in the wrong here. Any help?

attachment.php

Attachments

• piano.png
    piano.png
    8.3 KB · Views: 148

wankerness

Reaction score
Parallel 5ths is only a hard and fast rule in intro theory classes with partwriting assignments. That said, you might be hearing piano overtones. I'll give it a listen tonight.

jonajon91

New Picture
Reaction score
Cheers buddy, if I get another spare half an hour or so today, ill get working on it again.

wankerness

Reaction score
Cheers buddy, if I get another spare half an hour or so today, ill get working on it again.

Measure 3 has a Bb in it, and in measure 4 the root is a C instead of the G you have, and I think the only voice that's moving in that measure four is the top one (I think it's a C G C whole note with the E D C descending over it, with the D and C as parallel octaves, not fifths). The next chord is a cool stacked one that's something like A C E F C.

jonajon91

New Picture
Reaction score
I didn't catch all that you said, but I have now done the full 8 bar intro, this look better?
paino.png

wankerness

Reaction score
G0LgPI9.jpg

I'm not good at picking out what notes are actually being played in piano chords cause I haven't practiced, but those are all the tonalities. I wouldn't be surprised if it mostly sticks to four part.

jonajon91

New Picture
Reaction score
Cheers man. I was about to +rep you for the help, but you were the last person I repped so that's not allowed. Either way, i'm sure I will call upon you again before I have finished this.

JoeyW

Reaction score
This album is consuming my whole life, specifically Drip. I think it's the first song I've literally been obsessed with to the point that its pathetic and I hate myself lol.

JosephAOI

Thinks Jazz = Metal
Reaction score
This album is consuming my whole life, specifically Drip. I think it's the first song I've literally been obsessed with to the point that its pathetic and I hate myself lol.

Drip is my favorite song ever. Enjoy this shitty little cover of the first two riffs from months ago as proof :lol:

russmuller

Cramblin'
Reaction score
Drip is my favorite song ever. Enjoy this shitty little cover of the first two riffs from months ago as proof :lol:

That is definitely a sick, sick song.

I really with I had the time and talent to work up a good guitar cover/arrangement of The Court Jester. I think those romantic-sounding rolling arpeggios on the piano would sound nice on a classical guitar, do the vocals on a steel string acoustic, and the sax on an electric guitar... Maybe some day.

JosephAOI

Thinks Jazz = Metal
Reaction score
I've been working on Road Song recently. If you guys want, I can put up a partial cover of that too?