To all Mesa Mark IV owners

• Thread starter kmanick
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Did some more tube rolling today with this thing.
Now the Preamp section is this
V1- RFT
V2- JJ
V3 - Blackburn Mullard
V4 Amperex Bugle boy
V5 - JJ Balanced
A quick check and the mids sound a little thicker and "chewier with these in there.
Ideally I'd like to swap V1 and V3, but getting V1 into this head without pulling the chassis is a major PITA,
I have that set up in my Splawn and it sounds fantastic, RFT's in the Lead slots kill.

That's some quality glass right there, although I'd rate the RFTs a step above the JJs compared to the others (which are a lot better). Due to the dry nature of Marks I guess they work great in V1 since they're very fat and compressed. I didn't like them in my Triaxis for that very reason, though.

For those not wanting to dive into NOS tubes, best current production preamp tubes are the JJ E83CC (not to be confused with their standard ECC83S). The frame grid construction makes for very, very nice tubes for V1 (even though they're slightly less gainy than the standard model).

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.