To those that have moved on from a Tube amp to a SS/modeling rig.

• Thread starter NCASO96
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LCW

Reaction score
Sorry to revive this thread... But I'm revisiting modeling and rethinking my previous attitude. A little over a year ago (and discussed somewhere back in this thread), I got an FM9 and SD PS170 power amp. I ended up frustrated, and convincing myself it "sucked" and returning it.

Fast forward to now. I got rid of ALL my amps (life reasons, that's another story). Down to 1 guitar. (well 2 but 1 is listed to sell). Have 2 cabs left to sell. They should be going soon.

So to fill the void of the missing amps, I decided to try a Quad Cortex (I had some store credit from consigning a couple things). With recent software updates and some local shop guys swearing by it, I figured I'd give it a shot. In the spirit of my downsizing and all that. It's smaller than the FM9, and with the touchscreen and rotory switches, seemed like a user friendly platform to try.

This time, I figured, forget the power amp for now (to save some cash), and also just run through my 2i2 Focusrite into my JBL monitors. That way, can sell the cabs. Literally a guitar, into the QC, into a Focusrite 2i2 interface that I already had, into JBL 5" monitors I also already had.

I don't know if it's a combination of the ease of use, intuitive interface and honestly good baseline tones right out of the QC unit, or the fact that I decided to not try to run it like a 'traditional' setup (ie. power amp, into traditional guitar cabinet/speakers). But I've been seriously loving this so far and embracing the, call it, "more modern" workflow of sending it through an interface and monitors and not trying to make it an "amp in the room rig".

Kudos to Neural DSP for the interface and simplicity. Now, I'm not really here to debate how good it sounds vs Fractal, Helix, Kemper, ToneX, Tonemaster, etc... but from just a "plug in a play" aspect it's awesome. It's actually inspired me to play more and learn some new stuff. And I haven't been buried in the minutiae of settings and options paralysis, because it's way less of a rabbit hole of setting and parameters than the FM9 I had.

We'll how it goes in the long run, but it's off to a good start with my experience as a new QC owner.

IMG_2223.jpeg

SpinalTap

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This time, I figured, forget the power amp for now (to save some cash), and also just run through my 2i2 Focusrite into my JBL monitors. That way, can sell the cabs. Literally a guitar, into the QC, into a Focusrite 2i2 interface that I already had, into JBL 5" monitors I also already had.

I don't know if it's a combination of the ease of use, intuitive interface and honestly good baseline tones right out of the QC unit, or the fact that I decided to not try to run it like a 'traditional' setup (ie. power amp, into traditional guitar cabinet/speakers). But I've been seriously loving this so far and embracing the, call it, "more modern" workflow of sending it through an interface and monitors and not trying to make it an "amp in the room rig".

I wouldn't completely disregard an 'amp in the room' setup if I were you. IRs are great for recording, but I always feel like they're missing something.

I run my QC through a powerstage 700 and a 2x12, and I mostly just play for me.

I bought a real Celestion heritage G12H 55 to replace a dying speaker in my 2x12, as it was always my favourite of the speakers available in GGD's Zilla pack. I liked how much softer it was than the others.

I can't find a combination of mics in the plugin that remotely recreates just how punchy the real thing is. It's gritty, very mid-forward, and just so much better than I was expecting.

If you've got a cab you know you love, I'd strongly recommend getting a decently-sized poweramp to run the QC into it with global cab block bypass.

LCW

Reaction score
Not totally disregarding the amp in the room thing. Just not currently practical or my focus.

My point was more that’s what I was only focused on in my prior foray into modeling. And I was comparing it (modeler into power amp into cab) too much with a real amp into a cab. I had also tried an FRFR (Laney) and expecting it to be just like real amp/cab.

Just my current take and situation and how I’m approaching it with a different attitude than before.

I’ll revisit the modeler into a guitar cab in due time. But with a different approach and expectations.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score
Sorry to revive this thread... But I'm revisiting modeling and rethinking my previous attitude. A little over a year ago (and discussed somewhere back in this thread), I got an FM9 and SD PS170 power amp. I ended up frustrated, and convincing myself it "sucked" and returning it.

Fast forward to now. I got rid of ALL my amps (life reasons, that's another story). Down to 1 guitar. (well 2 but 1 is listed to sell). Have 2 cabs left to sell. They should be going soon.

So to fill the void of the missing amps, I decided to try a Quad Cortex (I had some store credit from consigning a couple things). With recent software updates and some local shop guys swearing by it, I figured I'd give it a shot. In the spirit of my downsizing and all that. It's smaller than the FM9, and with the touchscreen and rotory switches, seemed like a user friendly platform to try.

Kudos to Neural DSP for the interface and simplicity. Now, I'm not really here to debate how good it sounds vs Fractal, Helix, Kemper, ToneX, Tonemaster, etc... but from just a "plug in a play" aspect it's awesome. It's actually inspired me to play more and learn some new stuff. And I haven't been buried in the minutiae of settings and options paralysis, because it's way less of a rabbit hole of setting and parameters than the FM9 I had.

We'll how it goes in the long run, but it's off to a good start with my experience as a new QC owner.

View attachment 140735
Any reason you're not just using the QC as your interface and running the monitors straight into it? The QC has mic preamps, multiple instrument inputs, etc. The 2i2 seems unnecessary.

LCW

Reaction score
Any reason you're not just using the QC as your interface and running the monitors straight into it? The QC has mic preamps, multiple instrument inputs, etc. The 2i2 seems unnecessary.
Because I have the monitors also be my laptop speakers. Just better audio. That’s mainly why I had the interface in the first place.

For traveling I would go direct from QC into laptop.

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score
Because I have the monitors also be my laptop speakers. Just better audio. That’s mainly why I had the interface in the first place.

For traveling I would go direct from QC into laptop.
Couldn't you still do that? Just set the QC as your sound output on the Mac?

SpinalTap

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Couldn't you still do that? Just set the QC as your sound output on the Mac?
The QC defaults to ground lift when it's off, so monitors can buzz when they're connected with QC powered off. It also takes ~50s to boot up. You'd have to leave it permanently on/in standby, which I wouldn't be happy doing, personally.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
Honestly, since switching from Helix Native to the ToneX plugin as my amp sim for recording I've been kinda thinking of selling of my Triple Rec and HX Effects and going with a ToneX pedal, PowerStage (or similar), and Boss GT1000Core. Only reason I haven't yet.... I don't have a band!! :lol: I am currently at zero band members. I've never been much of an IK Mulitmedia fan, always kinda regarded them as the toy junk music product company but man ToneX changed my perception of them. It's the first time (as I say) I can actually hear the wood of the speaker cabinet resonating and can hear and feel the whole body of the amp. I did a few captures of my own Triple Rec and Bugera TriRec, the TriRec capture is my favorite of my own captures. I will say, you do need to know what you are doing to get a proper capture, it's critical to get the levels correct. If the level going into your amp isn't hot enough you will get a capture with less gain. There's also that stupid trim knob they have you adjust after the capture, shouldn't even be there it should be a perfect copy without having to tweak another knob.

Anyhoo, I'm never going to sell off my Bugera TriRec cause

1. It's actually my favorite amp. It sounds better than my Triple Rec, doesn't pop really loud when switching channels, has a flawless series effects loop (had to mod my Triple to series), accepts midi for channel switching control from my HX effects, and the knobs are very easy to read what they're set at unlike Rectifiers.

2. I won't get any significant cash for it.

But if I were to sell the Triple and HX Effects I could get a ToneX pedal, Powerstage, and GT1000Core and have money left over. Btw, only reason I want to switch to the GT1000 is for seamless effect carryover for all preset changes. With the HX it's seamless for Snapshots but not presets and the HX only has 4 snapshots per preset and I sometimes need 1-2 more.

But yeah man this was on my mind even moreso when I had a band as it was just such a huge pain going to a studio. Shitty amps, parallel effects loops, missing footswitches, etc. Made it really hard to play through songs with effects or channel changes from hi-gain to clean. So I was thinking back then to go with a lightweight setup. Bought the Headrush MX5 and was gonna use that at the time then everything fell apart when I kicked out the asshole singer. Now gonna sell the MX5 lol.

Shask

Reaction score
I wouldn't completely disregard an 'amp in the room' setup if I were you. IRs are great for recording, but I always feel like they're missing something.

I run my QC through a powerstage 700 and a 2x12, and I mostly just play for me.

I bought a real Celestion heritage G12H 55 to replace a dying speaker in my 2x12, as it was always my favourite of the speakers available in GGD's Zilla pack. I liked how much softer it was than the others.

I can't find a combination of mics in the plugin that remotely recreates just how punchy the real thing is. It's gritty, very mid-forward, and just so much better than I was expecting.

If you've got a cab you know you love, I'd strongly recommend getting a decently-sized poweramp to run the QC into it with global cab block bypass.
Yeah, I always find playing through monitors to be very uninspiring to play through compared to an actual amp.

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
Yeah, I always find playing through monitors to be very uninspiring to play through compared to an actual amp.

Same. Sounds too much like produced tracks/solo’d tracks from a recording. Which outside the mix sound thin. Sounds fantastic with a band through a PA or in a recording. But it’s not like having the cab at your back. That’s why I like the idea of a QC, and it’s multiple outputs and routing options. You can have the best of both worlds.

NCASO96

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So... over a year ago i started this thread... just thought i'd revisit some of my findings...

Sold my EVH rig... bought a Helix LT and PC 112...

PC 112 was very disappointing... so upgraded to the "plus" ... and still felt really underwhelmed.

Funny thing... very early in the Helix user's manual, there is a short paragraph towards first time users, pluging in their Helix, and getting a less than favorable tone... with the moral of the story being... your tone is only as good as your speakers..

So why does the L6 PC sound like crap? I didn't appreciate living out the irony in this precautionary warning.

Fast forward....

Sold my Helix and PC Cab.... and downgraded to the CATALYST 200

I'm pretty happy with the the Catalyst, especially with the last CX update that doubles the amps and effects flexibility. It sound very good... a pretty pure tube tone as my ears can tell, especially over the Boss Katana and Vyper...

However... being and open cab amp... it's not the greatest for metal and heavier tones...
There is something weird going on at the more overdriven channels that I can't tell if it's the speaker set or not.

Now i can use the CATALYST strictly as a power amp/powered speaker...

I'm thinking a more straight forward modeler that can i can use some IRs with would be ideal....

Any suggestions? Tonex maybe? Thoughts?

Thx.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
So... over a year ago i started this thread... just thought i'd revisit some of my findings...

Just wondering but what made you decide to sell the guitar cabinet and go with a full range speaker as opposed to keeping the cab and getting a pedal based amp like the PowerStage? With a full range you still need to use an IR or virtual cab sim on the patches.

I haven't used the ToneX hardware pedal yet, as mentioned a few posts back I've been considering selling my Mesa Triple and going ToneX with my HX Effects (currently have) or a Boss GT1000Core as it's even smaller and lighter. Haven't done so yet since I don't have a band so currently no need to transport my gear to other locations, but I've been using the ToneX VST plugin for recording and the standalone software for capturing my amps and I absolutely love the sound. I've switched from Helix Native for my amp tone to the ToneX and now just use Native for the effects. I was lucky though and grabbed the ToneX Max plugin when they had it on sale for $99. Regular price is $299 on IK's site. If you have any other IK products they usually give you a decent discount.

Last edited:

NCASO96

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Just wondering but what made you decide to sell the guitar cabinet and go with a full range speaker as opposed to keeping the cab and getting a pedal based amp like the PowerStage? With a full range you still need to use an IR or virtual cab sim on the patches.

I haven't used the ToneX hardware pedal yet, as mentioned a few posts back I've been considering selling my Mesa Triple and going ToneX with my HX Effects (currently have) or a Boss GT1000Core as it's even smaller and lighter. Haven't done so yet since I don't have a band so currently no need to transport my gear to other locations, but I've been using the ToneX VST plugin for recording and the standalone software for capturing my amps and I absolutely love the sound. I've switched from Helix Native for my amp tone to the ToneX and now just use Native for the effects. I was lucky though and grabbed the ToneX Max plugin when they had it on sale for $99. Regular price is $299 on IK's site. If you have any other IK products they usually give you a decent discount.

I've always had issues with the speakers in the EVH 212... way too bright/harsh, so I never thought to use it any way after i sold the EVH Iconic head.

I don't know too much about "pedal amps"/power amps, so i never really looked at it as an option.

I'm "ok for now" with the CATALYST 200, but given that it's also a powered cab, i'm trying to if there is another amp modeler than i can use and incorporate IRs with that's a bit more
streamlined.

I know L6, make the stomp, etc. but i've read great things about the TONEX and i'm wondering if that woud be an option

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
To those that have moved on from a tube amp to a ss modeling rig:

62a1d1bbdeb9ce6b21c6331b0220f329.gif

This one's for you

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
I know L6, make the stomp, etc. but i've read great things about the TONEX and i'm wondering if that woud be an option

Well the important thing to keep in mind is with the ToneX you'll likely still need an FX unit if you use more than just simple compression and reverb. I certainly use way more effects than that, but the pedal is so small and light. That's why I was thinking a killer super small and light rig would be the ToneX pedal, a Duncan Powerstage, and GT1000Core/HX Effects/Stomp type unit.

NCASO96

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Well the important thing to keep in mind is with the ToneX you'll likely still need an FX unit if you use more than just simple compression and reverb. I certainly use way more effects than that, but the pedal is so small and light. That's why I was thinking a killer super small and light rig would be the ToneX pedal, a Duncan Powerstage, and GT1000Core/HX Effects/Stomp type unit.

i'm not sure, but it's possible i can still use the effect on the CATALYST...

i don't use much beyond some compression, reverb, delay and chorus... NG?

i really just want a high quality, low cost unit that is simple enough and can provide some more
amp/IR options. If such a thing exists.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
i'm not sure, but it's possible i can still use the effect on the CATALYST...

i don't use much beyond some compression, reverb, delay and chorus... NG?

i really just want a high quality, low cost unit that is simple enough and can provide some more
amp/IR options. If such a thing exists.
High quality doesnt usually come in at low cost. Low compared to something else maybe, but not low.

Buy used hxfx for effects, used tonex for amps, use catalyst as cab?

I suggest “buy once cry once” though.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score

PC 112 was very disappointing... so upgraded to the "plus" ... and still felt really underwhelmed.

Funny thing... very early in the Helix user's manual, there is a short paragraph towards first time users, pluging in their Helix, and getting a less than favorable tone... with the moral of the story being... your tone is only as good as your speakers..

So why does the L6 PC sound like crap? I didn't appreciate living out the irony in this precautionary warning.

Fast forward....

Sold my Helix and PC Cab.... and downgraded to the CATALYST 200

I'm pretty happy with the the Catalyst, especially with the last CX update that doubles the amps and effects flexibility. It sound very good... a pretty pure tube tone as my ears can tell, especially over the Boss Katana and Vyper...

However... being and open cab amp... it's not the greatest for metal and heavier tones...
There is something weird going on at the more overdriven channels that I can't tell if it's the speaker set or not.

Now i can use the CATALYST strictly as a power amp/powered speaker...

I'm thinking a more straight forward modeler that can i can use some IRs with would be ideal....

Any suggestions? Tonex maybe? Thoughts?

Thx.
If you're playing live there's not much substitute for a close back can for br00tal chugz, but if you're recording try micing it from the back. I swear my open back combos sound better (and louder) from the back than from the front.

To those that have moved on from a tube amp to a ss modeling rig:

62a1d1bbdeb9ce6b21c6331b0220f329.gif

This one's for you
Was just thinking I couldn't believe I'd let this thread grow to 9 pages without posting some sassy shit about amps. Good lookin out.

NCASO96

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
High quality doesnt usually come in at low cost. Low compared to something else maybe, but not low.

Buy used hxfx for effects, used tonex for amps, use catalyst as cab?

I suggest “buy once cry once” though.
ok... "lower priced".. i need a more modest modelling solution.

Choop

uwu
Reaction score
I'd probably go with an HX Stomp, Duncan Power Stage, and a 2x12 guitar cab as well, but I also don't prefer using IR's for an in the room sound.

Also if you use your Catalyst as a power amp and cab, you still may have some issues with the speakers and design of that cab with getting the tones you want.