Tool announce new album, Fear Inoculum, coming August 30

• Thread starter rifft
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
This is propably something for another thread tho but was the last record so bad? It does have some fresh stuff within it. And the production is interesting.

I listened to it a lot. I kinda regret doing that.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Luafcm

Reaction score
I liked tool better when they were a rock band. This song kinda drags on. It just sounds weird to me, except the part where they kinda rip off faith no more @3:15, that part is different sounding at least.

Petef2007

Reaction score
This, Descending and Invincible are now 3 for 3 in my eyes, love all of them to bits. I hated 10000 days so the more it sounds like Lateralus the more excited I am.

chipchappy

thudmaster
Reaction score
This, Descending and Invincible are now 3 for 3 in my eyes, love all of them to bits. I hated 10000 days so the more it sounds like Lateralus the more excited I am.

I don't want to sound pedantic, and intend this more from a place of curiosity and learning on my part... but can you elaborate a little bit on specifically what specifically you liked about it? I didn't enjoy it for a lot of the same reasons as others. I'm open to new ideas and would be happy to listen again with a different set of ears... and if there's anywhere to pose that question, this seems like a good place.

Petef2007

Reaction score
I don't want to sound pedantic, and intend this more from a place of curiosity and learning on my part... but can you elaborate a little bit on specifically what specifically you liked about it? I didn't enjoy it for a lot of the same reasons as others. I'm open to new ideas and would be happy to listen again with a different set of ears... and if there's anywhere to pose that question, this seems like a good place.

The thing about this tune is, in my opinion anyway, if you weren't already a fan of this side of Tool then Fear Inoculum isn't going to convert anyone - if someone asked me to play them a song to get them into Tool, this would be FAR from the first one I'd pick (and would probably go with something off Aenima).

For me, the Tool tunes I love the most are the long ones that gradually build in texture, move towards a climax, and then take the song to it's conclusion after that. Not that I don't love Aenima and Undertow/Opiate, but I personally am of the opinion that Lateralus is one of the finest rock albums in existence, and that was when they started throwing a ton of meditative aspects into the music too. I can listen to Reflection off Lateralus, for example, and just kinda lose myself in the repetitive trance-type beats of it and how it gradually introduces more and more into the main theme, although I can fully understand if someone listened to it for the first time how they'd just think it was 11 minutes of wandering.

I'm not going to go all typical Tool fan and start throwing out the whole "maynard is god, polyrhythmzzz, it's like so transcendental bro" type BS. I just think this tune - and probably this album - is one that's going to reward multiple listens. Personally I started enjoying this one more after about 4 or 5 listens, when I started really being able to grasp the structure of it and know what was coming next. And I love that kind of music - I want an album that demands I sit down and pay attention to it to catch what's going on. Don't get me wrong I adore short sharp blasts of metal, but that isn't what I personally want from Tool.

I love how it starts out quite tribal and restrained, bursts into the chorus, reels itself in again, and then about halfway through goes into a more guitar based series of riffs rather than swells and tablas. Danny is playing his ass off on the drums, and Justin is doing some very nice bass lead parts. The last part of the song after the climax gets me seeing a bunch of imagery - I can picture a video to this with stuff swirling everywhere when Adam does that climbing wah lead at the end. The only bit i'm not a huge fan of is Maynard's little "rap" - the "bless this immunity" bit.

Can I ask, are you a Tool fan, and if so, which is your favorite album by them? There's 2 very distinct Tool sounds, and I know a lot of people who were fans of the earlier stuff are finding this song doesn't quite catch them like the Undertow and Aenima stuff does.

chipchappy

thudmaster
Reaction score
Can I ask, are you a Tool fan, and if so, which is your favorite album by them? There's 2 very distinct Tool sounds, and I know a lot of people who were fans of the earlier stuff are finding this song doesn't quite catch them like the Undertow and Aenima stuff does.

I was a tool fan. I say 'was' because I don't really actively listen to them anymore, but I was very into them for a period of time.

Lateralus came out right around when I started listening to them, and I definitely loved that album... but was way more into Undertow overall. That album just had this ever moving pummeling heavy sound that was just consistent enough and just varied enough. So I suppose I'd go with that album. This song, to me, sounds like something that could've been off of Lateralus, but likely would've been a song I'd have skipped. I listened a few times and tried to like it but I just felt impatient through the whole thing. It likely says more about me than the song. I'm stoked they're making music again and that fans like yourself are having that "my favorite band is back and they're killing it" feeling - I love that feeling, too.

But don't get me wrong - I'm sill going to go back and give it a try with your perspective on it. Can't hurt!

Reactions: fps

The Mirror

Reaction score
For me, the Tool tunes I love the most are the long ones that gradually build in texture, move towards a climax, and then take the song to it's conclusion after that.

How can you not love Wings for Marie / 10.000 Days in that case? It's probably the best they ever were if it comes to buildup and payoff. The climax of that song is probably my favourite part Tool ever did.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
I was a tool fan. I say 'was' because I don't really actively listen to them anymore, but I was very into them for a period of time.

Lateralus came out right around when I started listening to them, and I definitely loved that album... but was way more into Undertow overall. That album just had this ever moving pummeling heavy sound that was just consistent enough and just varied enough. So I suppose I'd go with that album. This song, to me, sounds like something that could've been off of Lateralus, but likely would've been a song I'd have skipped. I listened a few times and tried to like it but I just felt impatient through the whole thing. It likely says more about me than the song. I'm stoked they're making music again and that fans like yourself are having that "my favorite band is back and they're killing it" feeling - I love that feeling, too.

But don't get me wrong - I'm sill going to go back and give it a try with your perspective on it. Can't hurt!

What you said is really perceptive - "It likely says more about me than the song". Sometimes I listen to something a lot and it leaves me cold, then I leave it and come back, maybe years later, and it clicks and I love it. Right time, right place, right mental space, whatever it may be.

ChugThisBoy

Reaction score
What you said is really perceptive - "It likely says more about me than the song". Sometimes I listen to something a lot and it leaves me cold, then I leave it and come back, maybe years later, and it clicks and I love it. Right time, right place, right mental space, whatever it may be.

Yup, you're totally right. Many aspects matter when it comes to liking/not liking music. I'm a perfect example of that. Few years ago I couldn't understand the hype for Faith No More but nowadays I'm fascinated with them and Mike Patton in general.

Reactions: fps

fps

Kit
Reaction score
Yup, you're totally right. Many aspects matter when it comes to liking/not liking music. I'm a perfect example of that. Few years ago I couldn't understand the hype for Faith No More but nowadays I'm fascinated with them and Mike Patton in general.

Mike Patton's a big one for me too! I really loved his EP with Dillinger Escape Plan, like, the moment that came out I was in for it. And an absurd Mr Bungle track played before a Dream Theater show I went to, and we were pretty drunk and near collapsed imitating singing that thing, like all night. But it's only recently I've really started to get what he's about, and have a lot of exploring to do. I know I love Angel Dust though.

wankerness

Reaction score
Mike Patton's a big one for me too! I really loved his EP with Dillinger Escape Plan, like, the moment that came out I was in for it. And an absurd Mr Bungle track played before a Dream Theater show I went to, and we were pretty drunk and near collapsed imitating singing that thing, like all night. But it's only recently I've really started to get what he's about, and have a lot of exploring to do. I know I love Angel Dust though.

Get Mr. Bungle - California posthaste. It's by far their most accessible album, with many songs sticking to one genre for the whole thing (but every track being at least one different genre). The singing styles vary wildly between songs, too, with everything from some kind of Klezmer prog metal to what sounds like wind-up robot toy music. It's wonderful. Some of the fairly "straight-ahead" songs are even pretty legit good (Pink Cigarette, Vanity Fair). I feel like almost everyone could find something to love on that album.

Oh, and this new Tool stuff is kind of boring. :p

fps

Kit
Reaction score
Get Mr. Bungle - California posthaste. It's by far their most accessible album, with many songs sticking to one genre for the whole thing (but every track being at least one different genre). The singing styles vary wildly between songs, too, with everything from some kind of Klezmer prog metal to what sounds like wind-up robot toy music. It's wonderful. Some of the fairly "straight-ahead" songs are even pretty legit good (Pink Cigarette, Vanity Fair). I feel like almost everyone could find something to love on that album.

Oh, and this new Tool stuff is kind of boring. :p

Yeah I've listened to each of their albums now, I think. Enjoyable, though still hard to get a handle on at times. Good stuff, records where you'll always find something new in there.

Chris Bowsman

Nu-Metal Apologist
Contributor
Reaction score
The review is interesting. I disagree that it builds to any sort of climax, but it definitely feels like 15 minutes.

I’m going to listen to the album, and purposefully did not read the other song breakdowns. However, I’m curious as none of the things they described (riffing our, solos, heavy instrumentation, etc...) are represented in the single.

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
I didn't dig the tune on my first 2-3 listens but conceded that it would probably grow on me. I didn't listen to it for 3 days then after getting baked one night I put it on and had the "Ah ha!" moment where I left my expectations/criticisms at the door and just enjoyed it for what it was.

I fully expect this album to be a lot calmer than previous efforts, at least in Maynard's vocals. After all, the guy spent the first part of his career ranting and being pissed off, then essentially writing self-help guides to rid yourself of junk-in-the-brain to alleviate all those agitations. To come out with an album 13 years down the road, in his 50's, full of screaming and anger-driven lyrics, it'd be like saying "Never mind all that shit I said back in the day, I still hate everything and everyone."

Add to the fact that I highly doubt Maynard would be able to carry on all the things he's got in his life if he still had his head cluttered with anger. I knew about the wine business and the side bands, but after watching the Rogan interview I found out he's got his hands in quite a few businesses in Arizona. I'm under the assumption, like Don Henley, he's investing in the town he lives in (except Henley owns the majority of his hometown) and putting his money where his mouth is.

I liked tool better when they were a rock band. This song kinda drags on. It just sounds weird to me, except the part where they kinda rip off faith no more @3:15, that part is different sounding at least.

Too funny, my fiancee showed me a part in a Puscifer song where he uses that exact same pattern and delivery.

Petef2007

Reaction score
How can you not love Wings for Marie / 10.000 Days in that case? It's probably the best they ever were if it comes to buildup and payoff. The climax of that song is probably my favourite part Tool ever did.

I don't mind the Wings duo but the standout on 10k for me was Intension. The rest I thought sounded unfinished or throwaway, and the interludes were utterly pointless (although that wouldn't be the first time) - and don't get me started on The Pot, which I personally think should have been left well on the cutting floor.

I'd agree fully with this - with the exception of Seventh Son by Iron Maiden, every single one of my all time favorite albums I hated on first listen bar one or two songs, but there was something that made me come back and try again and again - eventually each of them clicked.

ArtDecade

Barking Pumpkin
Reaction score
Opeth and Tool fans spend a lot of time defending bands that had a few good albums before going off the rails completely.

Reactions: Vyn