Tool announce new album, Fear Inoculum, coming August 30

• Thread starter rifft
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
Is the word you're looking for "anticlimactic"?

With 100% sincerity, I'm happy for the people who are really excited about this. They will not be disappointed. For anyone who is blah, it is not going to change their mind.

Anticlimactic is the right word. It just didn’t go anywhere.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
It's a Tool-ass Tool song. I'm cool with it.

I think I just realized, having not listened to Tool regularly in a VERY long time outside of the occasional track here and there after being borderline obsessed with them for years, that I feel Aenima was their peak. It was the perfect blend of the aggressive of Undertow, and the proginess of Lateralus. 10,000 Days I honestly don't go back to much.

Also, I honestly kind of like how Lateralus is meditative. Although in hindsight it makes me wish Ticks and Leeches was on a different album. Kinda breaks up the meditative nature abruptly then just disappears again...

Ben Pinkus

Reaction score
From not being a die hard tool fan and someone who hasn't actively listened to them recently, I really really liked this new song! Definately appreciate them more now then 13 years ago too

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
It's a Tool-ass Tool song. I'm cool with it.

I think I just realized, having not listened to Tool regularly in a VERY long time outside of the occasional track here and there after being borderline obsessed with them for years, that I feel Aenima was their peak. It was the perfect blend of the aggressive of Undertow, and the proginess of Lateralus. 10,000 Days I honestly don't go back to much.

Also, I honestly kind of like how Lateralus is meditative. Although in hindsight it makes me wish Ticks and Leeches was on a different album. Kinda breaks up the meditative nature abruptly then just disappears again...

I like Tool, but most of their albums are hit and miss for me, and a lot of it I find actively annoying. Opiate and Undertow are pretty good all the way through. I love some of the songs on Aenima, but there's a few strange filler tracks and the two minute intro to Eulogy always annoyed me. Lateralus and 10,000 was more of that: some great songs (The Grudge, The Pot) mixed in with some meh mixed in with what I consider filler stuff of what might as well be monks chanting. For example, Ticks and Leeches has break in there that seems like at least 90 seconds of pretty much nothing happening. WTF? I just don't understand what their artistic vision is with this stuff; it's not for me, at least.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
I like Tool, but most of their albums are hit and miss for me, and a lot of it I find actively annoying. Opiate and Undertow are pretty good all the way through. I love some of the songs on Aenima, but there's a few strange filler tracks and the two minute intro to Eulogy always annoyed me. Lateralus and 10,000 was more of that: some great songs (The Grudge, The Pot) mixed in with some meh mixed in with what I consider filler stuff of what might as well be monks chanting. For example, Ticks and Leeches has break in there that seems like at least 90 seconds of pretty much nothing happening. WTF? I just don't understand what their artistic vision is with this stuff; it's not for me, at least.

I love that break in Ticks and Leeches

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
I kind of think it would have been better to not release any singles. After all this time, it was bound to be underwhelming for a lot of people. They are definitely more of an "album band" anyway (yes, I'm aware they have had hit singles in the past).

That said, I've listened to the single 5 or 6 times now. I really like it. Sounds like it could easily have been on Lateralus, which is my favorite Tool album and the only one I still listen to with any regularity.

Last edited:

Kidneythief

Reaction score
I'm afraid, that the following will happen: everyone has high hopes and expectations, because we have been "waiting" for over a decade to hear new music from Tool. Now that it finally happens, it is Tool as Tool can get, but nothing new mind blowing.

Despite this, the song delivers what I wanted. Awesome spacey bass riffs (Justin <3), cool tight drumming, weird guitars, and Maynard singing.

Evil Chuck

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I enjoy their music, but I won't lie, I was a little disappointed when I heard they were releasing their albums on streaming services. I know streaming music is the hip way to listen to music nowadays, but my personal opinion of it is largely negative. I mean it's fine for Drake and Katie whatever her name is, but the curmudgeon in me kind of wishes it didn't exist at all.

Demiurge

Reaction score
^There's nothing inherently wrong with making music available. That said, going on a streaming platform might seem like the artist is "buying in" to a system that pays musicians crap for the sake of exposure. Maybe the decision is based on being heard versus not being heard- or knowing that their music going to be illegally downloaded or put up on Youtube without their consent anyway.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
I kind of think it would have been better to not release any singles. After all this time, it was bound to be underwhelming for a lot of people. They are definitely more of an "album band" anyway (yes, I'm aware they have had hit singles in the past).

That said, I've listened to the single 5 or 6 times now. I really like it. Sounds like it could easily have been on Lateralus, which is my favorite Tool album and the only one I still listen to with any regularity.

I cannot believe the people whose thought process is to type something about a new track when they've heard it once/ when it's still playing for the first time. Babyish. I'm not listening til the whole album comes out and will give it at least 5 spins before posting an opinion.

prlgmnr

...that kind of idea
Reaction score
I cannot believe the people whose thought process is to type something about a new track when they've heard it once/ when it's still playing for the first time. Babyish. I'm not listening til the whole album comes out and will give it at least 5 spins before posting an opinion.
I'm going to buy it on vinyl and bury it in the garden and not listen to it until Saturn has revolved around the sun 13 times and then I won't even allow myself to form an opinion about it until I've listened to it 15 times, backwards.
It's the only adult way to be.

Kaura

Je suis ketchup
Reaction score
I don't know about the song but I'm really digging the production. Sounds really fresh compared to all the super produced djent bands. Which I love of course, but you kinda get used to it at a certain point that it gets kinda dull.

ChugThisBoy

Reaction score
Oh man, Tool has difficult fan base..

About the new single: it sounds like Tool, I dig the atmosphere. But I think that Descending and Invincible are better material for singles.

Last edited:

Chris Bowsman

Nu-Metal Apologist
Contributor
Reaction score

I listened to the entire song prior to voicing my opinion. Just tried to give it a second listen, bailed around 5 minutes in.

This isn't the first time Tool have opened a song with a simple, incredibly repetitious bit. The problem is it never moves beyond that, and when you think its going to, it doesn't.

Someone mentioned "Eulogy." Imagine if every musical line in the song was very slight variations of the behind-the-bridge clangy noises. Then every time it felt like the song was going to build to something, it went back to the clangy noise. For 10 minutes.

Maybe I'm babyish, but it definitely doesn't take close to an hour (5 listens to this) to recognize pretentious bullshit.