Tosin Abasi Fluence sig set

• Thread starter narad
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Well if that is really the case then I understand everyone switching now: £429 - £270-290 -> Tosin $$$

frank falbo

Reaction score
All Fluence are pretty normally priced, so if they're showing up in certain markets way different than other pickups then something is either off with the distribution, or there's an error, etc.

Stuck_in_a_dream

Reaction score
Well, the Fishman Fluence sets are $40-70 more expensive than 'similar' SD & EMG active sets. I'm comparing sale prices from MF here, for example:
Modern Fluence 7-string set is $249 ......vs...... Duncan BO AHB-1 7-string set which goes for $199.
Fluence Abasi 6-string set is $259 .........vs...... Duncan EMTY 6-string set $219.
Fluence Abasi 8-string set is $279 .........vs...... EMG 57/66 8-string 2 x $119 = $238 (price from EMG site).

For me personally, the Fluences are definitely worth the extra money, in the least, you get additional voicings which is a feature that is not offered by other manufacturers. In my own experience, the Fluence sets can be had for cheaper than the advertised price. I use eBay, there's a certain seller who allows buyers to make offers, and he/she usually accepts 12-15% cheaper offers.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Stuck_in_a_dream

Reaction score
^ I don't believe this seller is doing any thing wrong. MF & GC offer 12-15% coupons almost all the time, and if the coupon does not work online, just give them a call.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Bumping to see if anyone tried these? Curious to see how these compare to the Devin Townsend set. Looking for a set that can go from active tightness to passive PAFyness.

setsuna7

Poor Gearwhore
Reaction score
Bumping this again. Has anyone tried flipping the Tosins? ie; putting the bridge in the neck and vice versa. Wanna try this on my next string change. Just wondering if anyone had tried it first.

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
Bumping to see if anyone tried these? Curious to see how these compare to the Devin Townsend set. Looking for a set that can go from active tightness to passive PAFyness.

I have the six string version. My tosin set sure is brighter than the devins I tried. V1 is a tweaked modern. It does retain the brightness and the definition of Modern V1 but they have loosened the low end a little bit and added some low mids. It sounds fatter yet it cuts through.

Now V2 is weird for me. It sounds too fat for me under gain. But used in clean or edge of breakup tones, it sounds legit and warm. It doesn't sound as PAF as the Classic V1. So I dont know where it is based off from.

Neck tones are stellar. Much better than the neck pups on the modern or the classic. Neck on V1 is just petrucci vibes when you do legatos and fast shredding.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
V2 sounds like the V2 of the KSE set I had. Thick and almost wooly under gain, but perfect for cleans.

And yeah, I remember reading your impressions, which is why I decided to avoid the Tosin set. I like the tighter low end of the Moderns and KsE set.

juka

Reaction score
It will be interesting to see where they will go with the Moderns for next Winter NAMM as it's the only Fluences left with "only" two voices (when they brought out the Merrow Sig and the Open Coils they upgraded the normal/old classics with a third voice, too)

Does anybody know if they changed the sound of the Tosins when they brought out Rev. 2?
Or was it just a different layout of the pins on the rear to make this nifty switching pattern with the 5way super switch possible?
Really tempted to change out my Moderns for an Abasi set, because of these switching options ;-)

Stuck_in_a_dream

Reaction score
It will be interesting to see where they will go with the Moderns for next Winter NAMM as it's the only Fluences left with "only" two voices (when they brought out the Merrow Sig and the Open Coils they upgraded the normal/old classics with a third voice, too)

Does anybody know if they changed the sound of the Tosins when they brought out Rev. 2?
Or was it just a different layout of the pins on the rear to make this nifty switching pattern with the 5way super switch possible?
Really tempted to change out my Moderns for an Abasi set, because of these switching options ;-)

I bought the modern 7 set early on, and in my understanding, much like the early classics as well (i.e. not open core), you can split the coils of each pickup for a single coil tone. It's not a different dedicated single voicing as was done in case of the Townsend & Abasi sigs. It may not be mistaken for a single coil, but I enjoy the coil split tones quite a bit on my moderns. Tosin's dedicated single voicing is quite uncanny though.

Gmork

Reaction score
Has anyone A/Bd the tosin8 and modern8 with highgain and can u tell me your experience?!

Also i sure wish the keith merrows came with a blade magnet so i could throw it into my multiscale 8.

BearOnGuitar

Reaction score
I briefly played the Tosin set this week, next to a Modern and Steph set, all in 8 string guitars. The Tosin sounds quite fat under distortion and has great low end, it seems very versatile and the coil split sound is sweet. I definitely prefer the Tosin set over the Moderns, however I have to say I like the newest revisions of the Moderns much more than the first one that I have installed in one of my guitars, but I still prefer the Steph set overall.

Gmork

Reaction score
I briefly played the Tosin set this week, next to a Modern and Steph set, all in 8 string guitars. The Tosin sounds quite fat under distortion and has great low end, it seems very versatile and the coil split sound is sweet. I definitely prefer the Tosin set over the Moderns, however I have to say I like the newest revisions of the Moderns much more than the first one that I have installed in one of my guitars, but I still prefer the Steph set overall.
Yeah the tosins have some extra "girth" around 100hz to 200hz. Which im really intrigued by. I imagine theyd excell at "the brootz" lol. But i really cant decide on them or the moderns ARGH!?!

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Yeah the tosins have some extra "girth" around 100hz to 200hz. Which im really intrigued by. I imagine theyd excell at "the brootz" lol. But i really cant decide on them or the moderns ARGH!?!

If you want the extra girth but still wanna stay brutal, the Stefs might be something you want. Someone here swears by the Stefs because they sound like Moderns with more ass

Gmork

Reaction score
If you want the extra girth but still wanna stay brutal, the Stefs might be something you want. Someone here swears by the Stefs because they sound like Moderns with more ass
I want brutal... But like a controllable clean brutal... ya know?
Ive seen the eq wav of the stefs and it aint pretty lol. Super obese, it really just looks like WAY too much. Also ive heard less than pleasant things about them which dont help sell me on them.
The moderns and tosins on the other hand!

BearOnGuitar

Reaction score
I want brutal... But like a controllable clean brutal... ya know?
Ive seen the eq wav of the stefs and it aint pretty lol. Super obese, it really just looks like WAY too much. Also ive heard less than pleasant things about them which dont help sell me on them.
The moderns and tosins on the other hand!

Don't look at EQ curves, listen with your ears. To me the Steph set is like an improved Modern set with better mids, better dynamics and transient response. It has it's own thing going on and in my opinion it's the best feeling Fluence set so far. Having that said the low end is really fat in voice 2, however not to the point where it is a problem. To me the Tosin set has even more low end than the Steph set in voice 1 and it sounds great but I'm missing the increased headroom or transient response of the Steph with the Tosin set. The Modern set pretty much is an EMG 81/85 set with less bass and more treble, I think it's a bit too much on the thinner side. Both the Tosin and Steph set sound better in my opinion.

Don Tonberry

Reaction score
How's the Tosin set single coil voicing compared to the Open core single coil voicing? (or any of the other sets with that voicing) I have an older rev Modern set and thought it sounded great but the coil split was a little lacking imo. I figured maybe one of the newer sets with a dedicated single coil voicing would work out better

Strobe

Reaction score
How's the Tosin set single coil voicing compared to the Open core single coil voicing? (or any of the other sets with that voicing) I have an older rev Modern set and thought it sounded great but the coil split was a little lacking imo. I figured maybe one of the newer sets with a dedicated single coil voicing would work out better

I don't have the open core singles, but I do have the regular classics with the split wired to a push pull. I am not sure if they changed anything between the regular classics and the open core - I thought they just made the it so that the voicing went to a pin instead of a solder pad. Maybe they changed how it sounds, I but I am going to assume that is not the case and they just changed how you wire it up to make it easier to use.

I also own the 6 string Tosin set. The single coil voicing on the Tosin set is better in my opinion. It's strattier, if that makes sense. The classics split is just OK, it's kind of a thin sound, not quite strat like, but definitely single coil sounding. On the Tosin set, it is very stratty. The neck has a hollow slightly scooped sound with a very jangly top end. The bridge is a little less scooped in voicing, it's more mid forward and fuller as compared to the single coil voicing on the classic. Put simply, the single coil voice on the classics feels like an afterthought. The single coil voicing on the Tosin set feels like they put a lot into specifically that voicing.

Latest posts