Trem with locking tuners.

• Thread starter kershyboy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

kershyboy

Collibus Bassist
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've been thinking about getting a custom 7 string guitar with a floating trem with the piezo, but with locking tuners.
I was just wondering If you guys could give us some info and help or even your experience on the matter.

Cheers.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

littlephil

Reaction score
If by floating trem you mean a Floyd, its pretty pointless.
If you mean a non-locking trem, locking tuners are almost essential if you want to use the trem for more than just light vibrato.
7 with a floating trem, piezo and locking tuners? Sounds a lot like a JP7 :lol:

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Do you mean with locking tuners and no locking nut?

If so, as long as the nut is properly cut, and made of a material that's nice a slippery like that of GraphTech nuts, it'll stay in tune pretty good for slighter trem techniques. Though, it won't hold as well as a locking nut for moderate trem use.

The locking nut is THE best way to retain tuning stability with a fully floating trem which gets it's use.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah I meant a 7 with a non-locking trem piezo and locking tuners.

I can't stress how important the cut, shaping, and material of the nut. Just about 90% of the no-locking trem equipped guitars that have come across my bench with tuning issues have been nut issues, and more specifically binding in the nut slots.

I'd even go as far to say that the nut is more important than locking tuners when it comes to this particular set-up.

When you do go for locking tuners, select the ones with the LEAST amount of required wrap around the posts. The more wraps around the tuner posts the great potential for stretching and shifting when you use the trem.

kershyboy

Collibus Bassist
Reaction score
I can't stress how important the cut, shaping, and material of the nut. Just about 90% of the no-locking trem equipped guitars that have come across my bench with tuning issues have been nut issues, and more specifically binding in the nut slots.

I'd even go as far to say that the nut is more important than locking tuners when it comes to this particular set-up.

When you do go for locking tuners, select the ones with the LEAST amount of required wrap around the posts. The more wraps around the tuner posts the great potential for stretching and shifting when you use the trem.

Cheers for the heads up about the nut :)
I'm just nerding around looking for the best trem etc atm for this spec. I haven't got far really atm haha.

Shredcow

Mangled Beef
Reaction score
I've got a 7 string with an OFR 7 and locking hipshot tuners AND a locking nut.

I can just leave the nut unlocked and trem-age is just fine. I can't do extreme stuff (e.g. divebombs) because there is more string length (past the nut to the tuners) but I can do heavy vibrato just fine.

Oh, if you're going hipshot, might as well get their locking tuners... It's what I have and I'm quite impressed with the quality and weight. The locking mechanism works as it should.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I can just leave the nut unlocked and trem-age is just fine. I can't do extreme stuff (e.g. divebombs) because there is more string length (past the nut to the tuners) but I can do heavy vibrato just fine.

If I had to guess, I'd say the rather large, tapered slots for the strings on the unlocked locking nut, as well as the smooth, finished metal surface was contributing to stability via adding little friction for binding.

SirToastalot

Needs a better rig..
Reaction score
Yeah, that setup can definitely work. My Vigier 7 has some sort of Schaller non-floating trem (I think they only make them for Vigier), Schaller locking tuners and a fairly bog-standard plastic nut.
I'm not the biggest tremolo abuser but it seems to work pretty well. No major out of tune incidents so far.

The Hipshot tremolo that MaxOfMetal mentions isn't too dissimilar from the one on the Vigier, but it's not like there are many alternatives readily available out there!

kershyboy

Collibus Bassist
Reaction score
So far it looks like the Hipshot tremolo with the Schaller M6 locking tuners. Unless someone can convince me other wise.

Cheers Toastalot for the input :)

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
You should try Sperzel Trim Loks. You can get a set essentially custom made for you for about £60 (Choose the colour combination and tuning peg shape) and they make restringing so much easier. I have a set on my 7321 and I'm going to get them on every future guitar I have from now on if I can.

kershyboy

Collibus Bassist
Reaction score
I'm getting it built by a very good friend of mine who's a Luthier/Guitar tech. I'm still in the process of fine tuning the specs at the moment

Shredcow

Mangled Beef
Reaction score
Hmmmm.... I'm curious. Why Schallers? I think there are better tuners in terms of tuning ratio, for example, Hipshot's locking tuners have a 18:1 tuning ratio.

Granted, since you have a floyd rose (fine tuners), you can overlook the tuning ratio...

Another point of consideration would be general availability. Sperzels (though they come in at a lower 12:1 tuning ratio) are in abundant supply everywhere.

kershyboy

Collibus Bassist
Reaction score
Hmmmm.... I'm curious. Why Schallers? I think there are better tuners in terms of tuning ratio, for example, Hipshot's locking tuners have a 18:1 tuning ratio.

Granted, since you have a floyd rose (fine tuners), you can overlook the tuning ratio...

Another point of consideration would be general availability. Sperzels (though they come in at a lower 12:1 tuning ratio) are in abundant supply everywhere.

Cheers for the advice about the tuners much appreciated :)

Non-locking floating trem and locking tuners all the way hehe

Shredcow

Mangled Beef
Reaction score
OH. Non-locking floating trem! Geez... I don't know why I kept reading that as a floyd rose!

If that's the case, then yes, I think getting locking tuners with the highest tuning ratio would be a wiser choice.

kershyboy

Collibus Bassist
Reaction score
OH. Non-locking floating trem! Geez... I don't know why I kept reading that as a floyd rose!

If that's the case, then yes, I think getting locking tuners with the highest tuning ratio would be a wiser choice.

Cheers for the words of wisdom.