Tremolo deadlock - how to lock a trem in style

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BillCartESP

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Wow!! this is an amazing project that turned into something that will revolutionise tremlockers. Well done!!!

I have one floyd OG equipped guitar that just never played right. Tried everything to get it right like my other floyd that works great. Even replacing the entire thing. It would make my guitar useable again. Can’t wait to see these for sale!

I wonder if making it brass would over tone or turn it into a tone machine?!?

Congrats again man!!! Hope to see it for sale soon. +1 on the patent stuff across all markets!

Reactions: jnx

JediMasterThrash

Reaction score
I can set up a Floyd just fine. Right now I have one guitar and it's got a LoPro Edge. So I'm sacrificing whammy tricks in the name of changing tunings without a half hour session of unlocking and tuning and adjusting springs and retuning and relocking every time.
Digitech Drop.

Seriously though, fixed bridge guitars are cheaper, why would anyone bother with permanently locking a trem? And a Drop is cheaper than a new gutiar still.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
What's wrong with the Tremol-No?

Like MC said, they have shortcomings. Most of these shortcomings spawn from the fact they are adjustable for bar drops only or can be dead fixed. Neither configuration works as well as it could due to the poor execution in having the ability to do either.

The Digitech drop belongs in a DJ booth, not a pedal bag.

I think most folks just want something to make it a hardtail, like OP's device. There are a ton of good idea fairy contraptions out there for adjusting or influencing the neutral angle and stability (Sophia, ZPE, etc.), but they come with compromises in responsiveness or reliability. There are also many people who prefer the feel and sound of Floyd bridges, regardless of the floating feature.

BillCartESP

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The reason for making a floyd like a hard tail would be like the reason I need to.

Sometimes there is something off and it cannot be fixed. Didn’t send mine back within the return period. My excuse was I had covid and never got to play till 50 or do days after I got it

. I use a tremelno and it’s just “ok”. So it mostly sits in its case. My other floyd is great and serves it’s purpose as my
Main tremolo guitar. So getting something like the op’s invention would be amazing, in my opinion.

I do agree that hard tails are cheaper. My purchase was for a trem equipped. So ended up getting another one to fit my needs.

DigiDrops work okay, the pedal version is much better over the base model. Have one and it does the job well. Works much better with passive pups vs. Actives; in my experience. It’s better going down/up no more then 2 semitonez. After that it gets synthetic sounded on single notes and power chords have a slightly weird sound to them; like star wars blasters firing off;). But I use only my amp for everything; clean, drive and all, no OD pedals or distortion pedals. Minus my loop for chorus, reverb, eq pedal and delay. Ymmv.

JediMasterThrash

Reaction score
Sure a real drop-tune is best. But when I got drum and bass and an audience and hit the pedal for Sad But True nobody knows the difference. And I'd say it's at least 90% of the way to a real drop-tune. Leagues above all other pitch shifters I've tried in terms of polyphonic drop (lots of pitch shifters only sound good with single notes, not chords).

One trick, I use the MXR custom bad OD, and it has a little button in the middle that sets an alternate voicing, more full frequency range on and off. When I play normal, I like the wider rnage. But when I use the Drop. I set it to the reduced frequency range. That makes the output sound a lot better, the drop works much better when not muddied up with extra highs and lows.

Think of it that you just want to tighten up that low end before you droptune. And then if there's any digital artifacts, they'll be up in the upper register so trimming that out helps it sound more analog.

BillCartESP

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I agree on the other pitch shifters, in my experience the digitech works the best. I okay with moderate bass, boosted mid and a bit subdued treble normally. I’m guessing that’s why I don’t hear the synth spund like most people.

Never tried the mxr custom OD pedal. Don’t have a need for one; it’s interesting. Might try it one pf these days.

Sad but true and harvester of sorrow are the two metallica songs I like to play the most. They’re always in my line up when I play sessions.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Like MC said, they have shortcomings. Most of these shortcomings spawn from the fact they are adjustable for bar drops only or can be dead fixed. Neither configuration works as well as it could due to the poor execution in having the ability to do either.

The Digitech drop belongs in a DJ booth, not a pedal bag.

I think most folks just want something to make it a hardtail, like OP's device. There are a ton of good idea fairy contraptions out there for adjusting or influencing the neutral angle and stability (Sophia, ZPE, etc.), but they come with compromises in responsiveness or reliability. There are also many people who prefer the feel and sound of Floyd bridges, regardless of the floating feature.
Alright, thank you. If it sucks, it sucks, I'm out the money and the time. Next option is trying something else. Worst case scenario is the EVH D-Tunas and trem stabilizers are a no go for me.

Matt08642

Reaction score
What's wrong with the Tremol-No?

Just a bit sloppy in the guitars I have/had them in. I'd say this is due to the nature of the device. When everything is locked in as tight as possible, this part still has play in it:

1710347890763.png

Granted this is probably necesary since tighter tolerances might deaden the motion of the trem. I also started having noise issues with one of mine, and it turns out the claw screw holes deformed a bit from screwing the set screws down:

1710348167658.png

1710348126636.png

Granted this is about 8 years old and has been used a bunch (as advertised - going from standard to drop D in dive-only mode) so I got my money out of it and it worked, but definitely not problem free.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Just a bit sloppy in the guitars I have/had them in. I'd say this is due to the nature of the device. When everything is locked in as tight as possible, this part still has play in it:

View attachment 140227

Granted this is probably necesary since tighter tolerances might deaden the motion of the trem. I also started having noise issues with one of mine, and it turns out the claw screw holes deformed a bit from screwing the set screws down:

View attachment 140230

View attachment 140229

Granted this is about 8 years old and has been used a bunch (as advertised - going from standard to drop D in dive-only mode) so I got my money out of it and it worked, but definitely not problem free.
I see. I hope I can get some use out of the two I bought, but if not, I may search for an alternative or forego using the D-Tuna.

torchlord

Reaction score
Looks cool... over-engineering is a path to many abilities some may consider unnatural...

I see. I hope I can get some use out of the two I bought, but if not, I may search for an alternative or forego using the D-Tuna.
The issue I had with mine was that leaving the thumb-tightened bolt unlocked was vibrating from just playing the guitar and you could hear and feel it. I also had the finger-tightened bolt fall out.

One thing I did to fix the bridge listening up accidentally was get rid of the thumb-tightened bolt for an Allen head type bolt which allowed me to tighten it so it wouldn't come to lose

Yul Brynner

Fabricated Background
Reaction score
Does anyone know the cavity dimensions for the RG1527 with Edge Pro 7? Isn't the spring cavity the same size as the 6?

My cousin wants one of these but he's on the road for another month and his 1527 is at his house.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
+1 for swapping out the thumbscrews on those unless you are trying to not gall the bar.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
The issue I had with mine was that leaving the thumb-tightened bolt unlocked was vibrating from just playing the guitar and you could hear and feel it. I also had the finger-tightened bolt fall out.
THIS. It drove me nuts unitl I tracked down the source of the vibration. I removed that POS from the guitar instantly.

I also had the finger-tightened bolt fall out.
Of course also that.

I will also add that the block claw screw went loose every now and then, and if unlocked the entire locking piece would just fall off the guitar. It happened to me quite a few times onstage until I removed it (and taped the remaining part to the guitar until I had time to completely remove the thing).

This thread just reminded me I have one on a drawer from the last guitar I purchased that came with it. Off Reverb it goes :lol:

Estilo

Reaction score
I've said it before. The brass at Ibanez should be imprisoned for not rolling out the FX-Edge en masse. Only the Mick Thomson SEVEN and the RG2228 had them. Compared to fixed bridge setups, Floyd systems have an added benefit in the nut being able to take on a variety of gauges because that steel stuff is harder than most strings.

jnx

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Project update:

Production:
I'm very proud to announce that we finally finished producing the first batch! :D
20240327_132134.jpg20240327_132204.jpg

Shop / Website:
Shop:
The shop is now live!
I will not post a link, since i think it would collide with forum rules.
If you have problems ordering, let me know.

The installation guide / manual is live.
Download installation guide

Here is a VERY cheap guitar with a installed Tremolo Deadlock Size S.
The guitar was almost not playable. But with a locked tremolo it has another spring in our office. ;)
20240327_145735.jpg20240327_145742.jpg20240327_145750.jpg

torchlord

Reaction score
THIS. It drove me nuts unitl I tracked down the source of the vibration. I removed that POS from the guitar instantly.

Of course also that.

I will also add that the block claw screw went loose every now and then, and if unlocked the entire locking piece would just fall off the guitar. It happened to me quite a few times onstage until I removed it (and taped the remaining part to the guitar until I had time to completely remove the thing).

This thread just reminded me I have one on a drawer from the last guitar I purchased that came with it. Off Reverb it goes :lol:
I just had an idea after reading your identical complaint. If I could find a small spring to put under the Allen head bolt it might just prevent any vibration when it is lose and it might also prevent it from falling out.

tedtan

Reaction score
I just had an idea after reading your identical complaint. If I could find a small spring to put under the Allen head bolt it might just prevent any vibration when it is lose and it might also prevent it from falling out.
They used to have a rubber washer that would apply enough pressure to that screw to keep it from vibrating off when loose, but would compress enough to allow it to tighten and lock in place when you screwed it down.

They don’t come with that rubber washer any more?