"Tricky" small room acoustic treatment,help!

MeanMachine

Reaction score
Hey everyone,this is my first post(though i've been reading the forum for a while now).So recently i've decided to get a decent studio monitors for my home studio,but before doing that i figured i should do some kind of a room treatment.The room is quite small and im kind of a noob on the subject really, so here are some pics of the room,any ideas of what i can/should do with it?Im just looking for a basic/budget acoustic treatment.Also please dont tell me to get a bigger room cause i cant. Any suggestions would be much appreciated,thanks!
As you can see there is a kind of inside balcony windows,which are all with curtains.
P1000468_zps6e6fc4f9.jpg.html

This is what desk looks like,i ll remove the bookshelf on the right as soon as i get the monitors.
P1000469_zps31d5403c.jpg.html

Double glazed windows.
P1000470_zps31a9f92f.jpg.html

This is the place for the amp,i will upgrade it soon with a bigger line 6 combo,as you can see the window is right behind it.I wonder is there anything i should do there?
P1000471_zps5596661c.jpg.html

Wardrobe on the opposite side.
P1000472_zps019ff349.jpg.html

Now this is the part that bothers me.Folding wall which separates the room with the other room.its not a big deal as far as noise reduction as no one usually is in the other room,its like a guest room.As far as acoustic treatment goes,I ve been thinking will hanging a mattress pad or a blanket or something like that over it help?
P1000473_zps7c7ca3fe.jpg.html

P1000474_zps00e79290.jpg.html

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Given To Fly

Reaction score
I would recommend reading some of these articles: Articles - Acoustic Panels | Bass Traps | Diffusors | GIK Acoustics
Your pictures showed up as "?" so it was hard to get a good grasp of what your room looks like in terms of symmetry (which is important). As for the room divider, that may be incredibly useful or not, it all depends. Read the articles. They will be more useful than my input. :noplease:

NickLAudio

Reaction score
^Pics worked. Right click and open in new tab/window.

That is tight spot indeed. What are you trying to get out of this room? A mixing sapce? A jam area?

Just an idea but, I would close the curtains and put the desk in the "inside balcony" area facing the rest of the room with speakers on stands on both sides. Then I would take down all your posters and put up the acoustic panels. Small ones like 2X2ft or 2X4ft. Arrange them with space between each as you want some reflections to keep the room from sounding "dead". That folding door/divider thing is tough though. I'm sure you could hang something when it's closed, or get/make standing gobo of some sort. It is a tough room just keep things symmetrical and "in the correct spots". You'll make the best out of what you got.

This series is a good watch. They make the best out of some home studio situations....
home studio rescue - YouTube

MeanMachine

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for replies guys.NickLAudio,well this room is everything really,its the room where i practise and record(only guitars though).Quick question,how many of those acoustic panels do you think i should get and where exactly will they fit best?In other words,where exactly do i put them?I will try to put a new desk in the "inside balcony" sometime in the future,right now i ll just put some acoustic panels here and there and hang a mattress pad over the folding door i guess.Also,would you recommend getting a 8 inch monitors for such room or 5 inch ones will work?Just trying to make the best out of what i got:)Thanks in advance!

NickLAudio

Reaction score
Quick question,how many of those acoustic panels do you think i should get and where exactly will they fit best?In other words,where exactly do i put them?

Depends on where you put your speakers and where you sit. Did you watch the videos in the link? They go more in depth with it.