Trimpot to balance pickups?

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
has anyone thought of using a trimpot in the control cavity to balance a pair of pickups? i was thinking of maybe using a pair of evo 7's in my s7 until i can afford bareknuckles, but clearly that would create some volume issues.
would it work for me to put a trimpot in there? just to drop the volume on the evo7? i can put a hipass on it so it doesnt lose its full volume tone

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JBroll

Hard-On For Freedom™
Contributor
Reaction score
That would work, I'd probably boost the quieter one myself but that's because I have too many gizmos in my control cavities already.

That last bit made it sound like aliens frequently probe my guitars. I'm going to try not to say anything like that again.

Jeff

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
lol. what kind of boost circuits are available without some sort of external switch?

JBroll

Hard-On For Freedom™
Contributor
Reaction score
You can just wire the switch to be always-on and not deal with that. If you want some schematics I can pull them out and send them to you - most boosts can just be set up in a way that leaves them always on, and a good MOSFET boost can be made insanely clean and transparent at ridiculous gain levels (like 20-30dB boost) if necessary.

Jeff

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
dude.
that would be freakin awesome.
as far as premade boosts, any recommendations?

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
lol i can solder just fine.
i build computers for spare $ lol
so, how big is this thing, sizewise?
it has to fit an s cavity with a volume, a 4 way blade and 2 mini toggles

JBroll

Hard-On For Freedom™
Contributor
Reaction score
Just making sure, most people look at soldering about the same way as they look at defusing timebombs.

If you can fit your thumb in your cavity you can fit this little bastard. Period. I don't know what you want in the way of switches or knobs with it (this thing is powerful enough to drive the most intricate of EQ systems, which you could also fit in the enclosure... that's a PM for details) but if you just want one setting, always on, hardwire it in, find the right volume with the trimpot, and then yank out the trimpot and replace it with a small resistor of equivalent value.

Jeff

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
awesome. there isn't a fancy pre goin in here. just a volume a pup selecter and 2 series parallel toggles .
i just dont wana cram a pedal in there lol

scott from _actual time_

grumpy old man
Contributor
Reaction score
has anyone thought of using a trimpot in the control cavity to balance a pair of pickups? i was thinking of maybe using a pair of evo 7's in my s7 until i can afford bareknuckles, but clearly that would create some volume issues.... i can put a hipass on it so it doesnt lose its full volume tone
it would still change the tone, even with a high-pass cap. which might be good, if you wanted a rounder tone in the neck position. i would adjust the relative volume of the neck Evo by lowering the pickup. you might have to go down aways, which would also round the tone off a little bit, but i think it would sound more natural than adding resistors and caps.

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
hmmmmm
yeah, i like the boost idea, but those s cavities are tiny as hell, and adding a battery in there too could be a pain.
i know it would change the tone, just not as much lol. i love "round neck tone" lol. its exactly what i get out of my fred in my 6ers neck.
hmmm.
would the boost tighten up the signal from the bridge pickup in the same manner a boost in your fx line does going into your amp?

JBroll

Hard-On For Freedom™
Contributor
Reaction score
awesome. there isn't a fancy pre goin in here. just a volume a pup selecter and 2 series parallel toggles .
i just dont wana cram a pedal in there lol

Most of the boost pedals you see here and there can be brought down to insanely small sizes - Jack Orman's FET buffer/preamp (which itself would be fine if you only need about 3dB gain) can be fit inside the plug of a guitar cable. The MOSFET boost above can be tiny as hell - I've honestly lost a couple in my old bedroom (and yes, it was cleaner than the one in my bass picstory) just from setting them off to the side somewhere, accidentally knocking them off the desk, and having them get shuffled about in all sorts of paperwork and whatnot.

Jeff

Latest posts