Tube amp suggestions <$850, good cleans required

Mischief

Owner of Spleens
Reaction score
The title fairly well says it.
Basically, I want a high gain amp. I generally lean toward something around the 6L6 realm. 6L6s, KT88s, etc.
A few that I'm looking at:
Bugera Trirec, which should give me the distorted tones I want, though I haven't seen much about it's cleans.
Bugera Alchemist (Mesa Mark IV clone)
Randall Diavlo: I have thought about this, because because Fortin's designs are now in Randall.. I haven't fully investigated this, though. Obviously with some of the amps I'll have to listen on Youtube to find out what sounds best to me, but there is another factor. Yes, some people will straight up tell someone not to buy Bugera, because in the past they had massive issues, before completely restructuring the factory or whatever. Anyway, past aside.

What amp under $850 USD will give me the heavy, crushing bass response, good treble clarity and note separation, and perhaps a lovely chimey clean tone, that is also reliable?

I give my sincerest apologies if this question has been asked too many times, or if I've shown any ignorance or incorrectness. I haven't really looked at amps all that much, since I was probably 15, lusting after a Mesa and PRS Custom 24. haha
I still want one... :evil:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mischief

Owner of Spleens
Reaction score
Thanks guys, will definitely check those out. I've been meaning to look into some of Peavey's amps, since they seem to have a pretty large following and loyalty among different guitar boards I've seen.
I recently felt inspired to look into a new amp, since my current amp is not exactly a metal useable amp (it's a Fender), and I happen to be getting a large sum of money that I'll be using to basically turn a room into a music room/studio. :hbang:
Anyway, hopefully one of those will do the trick.

JPhoenix19

Playing life by ear
Reaction score
Mesa Boogie F-50 or F-100. Mesa's best kept secret. Take distortion that's like a Mark and a Recto are making sweet love through your speakers, and give it the clean channel of a jazz amp and it's a clear winner. Not to mention it's a Mesa so it's louder than armageddon. You can usually find one for under $600.

FretsOnFyre

SSO's sociopath
Reaction score
A Mesa Mark III is well within your budget and pretty dang versatile. I actually got my Mark IV combo for $850, so if you're really patient, one might turn up.

EDIT: The F series is great, definitely look out for that as well. Also a DC-5 or DC-10 would do the trick. Complete Mesa fanboy here, in case you couldn't tell :rolleyes:

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
Mesa Boogie F-50 or F-100. Mesa's best kept secret. Take distortion that's like a Mark and a Recto are making sweet love through your speakers, and give it the clean channel of a jazz amp and it's a clear winner. Not to mention it's a Mesa so it's louder than armageddon. You can usually find one for under $600.

I second this suggestion. In your price range an F-50 would be a great choice. And you've have around $300 left over. Nice high gain tone and the cleans are stellar. The parallel FX loop is a pain but if you can solder two wires it's easily modded to serial and works great then.

You mentioned the Diavlo - I've got the 20 watt head and it's actually really good. Been yapping about it on here lately. I'd check them out. The build quality won't be quite the same as the Mesa but they do nice tight high gain without a boost. Cleans are very nice too, but not as good as the F50 in that dept.

bhakan

Reaction score
Another vote for an old Mesa. Mark III, F-100, .50 Caliber etc would all meet your requirements. They all can get heavy as ...., have wonderful clean tones and can easily be found at or well below your price range.

I have a .50 Caliber which I love. Great for both super heavy distortion and really nice cleans, though it will take some tweaking to get it to do both. They go for around $500 pretty frequently, plus Meshuggah used to use them.

Lifestalker

Reaction score
At that price point, I would highly recommend a Carvin V3M. The F-50 is also an excellent choice.

TeeWX

All The Br00tz
Reaction score
Laney Ironheart IRT60H

It's a 3 channel amp (shared EQ between clean/rhythm but with a separate clean volume control!). It has built in digital reverb and the cleans are really great. It's a bit british voiced but it'll definitely do modern metal. Check out Killswitch Engage's Disarm The Descent album or Keith Merrow's demo.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
Peavey 3120 or JSX

EVH 5150III mini :metal:

The Ironheart and Diavlo's seem promising, but I've yet to try them and compare them to the Peavey's or EVH

Phantom

Reaction score
I recently felt inspired to look into a new amp, since my current amp is not exactly a metal useable amp (it's a Fender)

Dude, depending on the amp in question, I wouldn't totally put down a fender amp as not putting out great metal tones. Yes it required a pedal, but I've had my 78 twin reverb breathing fire. Either way, I back the used Mesa suggestions. Great amps, awesome tones, good deals for the used stuff, and all the Mesas I've had were built like tanks.

DavidLopezJr

Reaction score
Mesa recommendations are all spot on :agreed:

You can also consider the Mesa Mini Rec which has a gorgeous clean channel and they go for below your budget used :metal:

Mischief

Owner of Spleens
Reaction score
Dude, depending on the amp in question, I wouldn't totally put down a fender amp as not putting out great metal tones. Yes it required a pedal, but I've had my 78 twin reverb breathing fire. Either way, I back the used Mesa suggestions. Great amps, awesome tones, good deals for the used stuff, and all the Mesas I've had were built like tanks.

It's a Fender Ultimate Chorus solid state.
As far as SS amps go, it's not bad, but it's not exactly what I'm really aiming for, tonally. Also, yeah, I've tweaked some decent sounding overdrives, but ultimately, yeah.. Not quite it.
A twin reverb I could see pulling off some decent tones, given the right push, though.

Batsinthebelltower

Reaction score
Buy an ADA MP1 3tube mod preamp - you will NEVER look back. Heavier than the 6505 , and far more articulate. Perfect cleans. It is literally the best kept secret in the metal world and costs about $400 or less . I run mine without a power amp all the time , No issue , powers a mesa 2x12 cab loud enough for mic takes.

If you want to hear it, every recording on my YT channel was made using it , search Batsinthebelltower. I cant recommend that amp enough

The standard ADA MP1 is also just as good, but with a little less gain

Phantom

Reaction score
I got you. Well, just recently, there was a dude on here talking about a bulgera that he bought brand new and it died on him 2 weeks later. I'm sure you could still find the thread if you look. I guess you need to decide if you want to risk that, I would just suggest buying it at a dealer so there is some sort of a return policy, if need were to arise.

Mischief

Owner of Spleens
Reaction score
I got you. Well, just recently, there was a dude on here talking about a bulgera that he bought brand new and it died on him 2 weeks later. I'm sure you could still find the thread if you look. I guess you need to decide if you want to risk that, I would just suggest buying it at a dealer so there is some sort of a return policy, if need were to arise.

Fair point. Even though Trirecs have a 3 year warranty, after owning a Dell laptop, I know what it's like to spend a chunk of money on something that is supposed to last, but has questionable quality regardless. The Dell crapped out after less than a year of use.
Anyway, I think I'm leaning toward the used Mesa, since I've always wanted a Mesa, but I'll go ahead and check out the Peavey lines to see if something tickles my fancy.

Side note: My HP Probook handles music production MUCH better anyway. I guess I needed to upgrade anyway.

Given To Fly

Reaction score
A used Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 2x12 combo costs $500 with remarkable consistency. (In fact, a local store automatically prices them at $500 when they come in used. 4x10 models cost more though.) It would be an excellent "platform amp" because it has great cleans and plenty of tube power. I even think the overdrive channel has more potential than people give it credit for but regardless, with a good distortion pedal you can get the sound you want.

Mesa's Mini Rectifier and Recto-Verb 25 are hovering a little above your price range but they have the features you want. The clean channels are excellent! The distortion channels cover a wide range from "slightly overdriven" to "more than enough gain." Also, if you have always wanted a Mesa, there is no point in spending $850 on a substitute. Save up a little more and get the real thing. :cool:

BeyondDan

Beyond Fiction
Reaction score
xxx/3120, jsx, or the Randall Diavlo RD100 (i'm really surprised with this)

Reaction score
the f-50 isnt a metal amp or high gain if you ask me... id go for a peavey..