Tuner shootout for low notes

• Thread starter Jacksonluvr636
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jacksonluvr636

Reaction score
Korg pitchblack X
Peterson Strobostomp
Sonic Research TurboTuner st300

It's probably a long shot but I'm wondering if anybody has experience with all three of these pedals? I have previously owned the St 200 and the strobo Stomp both work just fine.

The pitch black X looks visually appealing to me and I don't necessarily care if it's chromatic versus strobo but I am worried about capturing the low notes quickly and accurately. I'm wondering if one is clearly better than the other because there's a huge price difference between all three with the Korg being the lowest cost

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
I only have experience with the strobostomp, which I own. I really like it on my 8 strings. It does become slightly more wonky on the lower strings, but I have never encountered a single tuner that doesn't. This one does a better job than pretty much any other tuner I've used. I'll admit it is quite expensive, especially if you don't use all of its functionalities (which I mostly don't)

Jacksonluvr636

Reaction score
I only have experience with the strobostomp, which I own. I really like it on my 8 strings. It does become slightly more wonky on the lower strings, but I have never encountered a single tuner that doesn't. This one does a better job than pretty much any other tuner I've used. I'll admit it is quite expensive, especially if you don't use all of its functionalities (which I mostly don't)
It's the one I'm leaning towards getting, mid range price of the three.

Wondering if the korg handles low tuning well because it's pretty low cost, especially used.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Edika

Reaction score
I have the Korg Pitchblack custom and it struggles with really low tunings. Anything at and below G is a bit difficult to capture. You get the note but it moves a lot and you get overtones some times first. But anything up until A works fine.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Yeah, I have a Turbo (at the suggestion of @MaxOfMetal years ago) and just a few minutes ago I tuned by bass with it, and it handled the F# (below the B of a 5 string) fine. I don't know about "quick" in comparison to the others, but I'm really happy with the performance.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, I have a Turbo (at the suggestion of @MaxOfMetal years ago) and just a few minutes ago I tuned by bass with it, and it handled the F# (below the B of a 5 string) fine. I don't know about "quick" in comparison to the others, but I'm really happy with the performance.

Yeah, I'm totally a Turbo fanboi.

I can't say how great it is that it replaced my $2k, in Y2K money, big, bulky, delicate Peterson bench tuner with something you can slip into your pocket or kick around on the floor.

Absolute game changer.

:lol:

Fabrice

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Never owned the Korg.
But I had the Strobostomp by the past.
Now I have a ST-200 and a ST122 from Sonic Research. I tune the B string of my bass to A (and probably lower) without a problem.

4Eyes

Reaction score
Turbo, the only pedal I didn't replace, or even didn't consider replacing, in over a decade

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
I was tired of fighting to tune the 7th string with the garbage tuners bundled in every single guitar plugin. I bought a Turbo ST-300 to live on my desk right before the audio interface. Zero regrets.

If I didn't already have a tuner on the wireless pedal I'd own two.

Jacksonluvr636

Reaction score
I was tired of fighting to tune the 7th string with the garbage tuners bundled in every single guitar plugin. I bought a Turbo ST-300 to live on my desk right before the audio interface. Zero regrets.

If I didn't already have a tuner on the wireless pedal I'd own two.
Good to hear, mine should be here soon

boltzthrower

Reaction score
My Peterson Stroboplus has not been seeming accurate on the low string (G#). Never heard of the Turbo, def gonna have to try one!