Tunings that are pleasing to the ear

• Thread starter Hoss632
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Curiousity got the better of me this morning. Do you find that there are certain tunings that sound better to your ear than others? For instance for me I find that I enjoy Drop C#, Drop B, and Drop G# (for 7's or baritones) quite a bit. Drop B probably the most out of all of them.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

teqnick

The only person that liked the new Faceless album
Reaction score
My 3 guitars are in these exact tunings, so I feel you.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
whatever my guitar is tuned to, but in most cases anything lower than A sounds like a compressed fart to me.

power chords sound more musical in standard than in drop tunings, but that's the price you pay for being able to do that hammer/pull jumpy-aroundy drop-tune-riff sound. science has still not been able to determine if this has been a net gain, or a net loss for society.

Yul Brynner

Fabricated Background
Reaction score
Standard tuning pleases me. Sometimes drop d. Sometimes d standard. On rare occasions drop c.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
I like standard down a half step on 7 string (Bb standard) I tune to 432hz (not to start another debate or anything). It just feels better and less annoying to me. I tried many others but always come back to it. Drop C# and Ab and Ab standard too but I find those more limiting in terms of a one tuning for everything. Whatever resonates with you most is what you should use but certainly trying out differnt stuff over a long period of time makes what you do and don't like more immediately obvious especially whn you have multiple guitars and can a/b them real fast. It's worth the effort.

ezboarderz

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
for 6 strings, i personally love C# standard. Its just dark enough to get that growl but still retaining some of the brightness of not being super low.

for 7 strings, i like drop a quite a lot since you have a 6 string in standard tuning but the low A for chugging/darker stuff. Its also about as low as you can go on a tube amp before the notes start to sound squishy where you need to dial it in more in the djent style (cutting lows and boosting high mids).

I have tuned down to drop F which was fun but i felt like i had to play those thicker strings more like a bass than power chords, but its still pretty rad. I want another 7 string to get more variety on 7 string tunings, but drop a currently does it for my death metal needs.

TheBloodstained

Casual music entusiast
Reaction score
I think tone has more to say than tuning in this case. I spend most of my time in standard tuning on 7-string guitars / 5-string basses, so I guess B standard is my personal sweet spot for my own projects. I do however love a lot of bands that does some really low tuned stuff, for example Humanity's Last Breath, Vildhjarta, Meshuggah, whenever Periphery does 8-string stuff, etc. etc. etc.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
B standard has always sounded good to me but I also have always liked drop A. Also in my band we tune our 8 strings up a half step. I think F# sounds better.

Zalbu

More time than skill
Reaction score
The older I get the less interested I get in drop tunings. D# standard and C# standard sounds just right for my ears, not really a fan of D standard for some reason though. For 7 strings I like A# standard, anything lower than that starts sounding muddy

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
On my 7's it's been drop G or A standard lately. I still like playing in B standard or drop A but drop G/A standard is what I like most.

8 string is drop E all day.

6 string guitars.... Kind of depends. E standard or drop B. Maybe something in between there but it really depends on what I want to play.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
It's less about tunings overall and more for what genre/style they're in:

Indie/alternative always seems to be best between standard and Eb, although Cursive do tune to D Standard and I wouldn't have guessed that.
Thrash, E-D standard sounds best, I don't think I've heard anyone really use lower than that for it, but not saying they can't.
X-Core always ends up being a drop tuning, either D/C/Bb and like thrash it makes no difference to me.
Melodeath/death metal? Put that shit in C Standard or B Standard and let it ride. Same for doom, maybe even down to Drop A/A Standard.

Y'all can fill in the rest

l1ll1

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
D Standard or Drop C and any Strat comes alive.

bastardbullet

Reaction score
A standard and drop A has been my go to for my 7's since so far. Also i'm liking the A E A D G A D combination a lot.

Moongrum

Reaction score
The guy who ran Dwarfcraft, Aen, his tuning is nice DADAAE. The double A has a nice chorusing effect.

gnoll

Reaction score
E is good. D# is good too. C# is okay if the music calls for something lower. I don't seem to like D that much for some reason. And C is too low, it makes the music lose intensity. Anything and everything in C would sound better in C#.