Two new budget 7 string available from Jackson - JS22 Rhoads and King V.

• Thread starter Whoman Bean
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Whoman Bean

Pointy only.
Reaction score
Hey,

Lately I started to search for my very first 7 string guitar. Since I'm not sure I'm gonna like 7 string, I was aiming at budget models BC Rich JRV-7 and LTD V-307 but just found out Jackson released Rhoads and King V. Both very basic and super cheap, around 250$ brand new.

Ordered Rhoads, should be with me within couple of days.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ExplorerMike

60% of the time...it works every time.
Reaction score
Nice. I bought a JS22-7 Dinky for the same reason, to try a cheap 7 string. Ended up loving 7 string and that guitar. As others have said, it’s pretty solid for a $200 guitar. Looks like these might have the same neck on them, which is good. These should be fun guitars to hot rod!

Whoman Bean

Pointy only.
Reaction score
Got it earlier than expected 🙂
Screenshot_20240416_184228_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20240416_184233_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20240416_184236_Gallery.jpg

For the price - well worth it. It feels cheap overall, but has surprisingly decent fretwork and no fretbuzz at all.

I just don't know what to do with that extra string which is in the way all the time 😀

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Been thinking about grabbing one of these. The itch has been real lol. Just can't decide between the KV, RR, or a 2nd hand DK.
I am thinking about one now lol I'm leaning towards a KV but the RR is cool too. Also wondering about dropping some EMG'S in it.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
The satin and pickup rings ruin it for me. Incidentally probably aspects that keep it so affordable. Still good looking guitars for what they cost, well, the Rhoads is.

kriff

Reaction score
The satin and pickup rings ruin it for me. Incidentally probably aspects that keep it so affordable. Still good looking guitars for what they cost, well, the Rhoads is.
I agree but I don't understand how pickup rings make these more affordable. Is it cheaper to manufacture? Can theu do a sloppier job on routing because the rings hide it, which costs less?

ZXIIIT

XIII
Reaction score
I'd be down for the King V, I can overlook the bridge choice and pickup rings :(, but the JS Jackson headstock just looks so off compared to the much nicer looking one they also have, could probably be fixed with a sanding block lol :/
1713420397550.png

RobDobble6S7

Professional shit talker
Reaction score
I agree but I don't understand how pickup rings make these more affordable. Is it cheaper to manufacture? Can theu do a sloppier job on routing because the rings hide it, which costs less?
yes

Jbar0071

Reaction score
My JS22-7 RR HT came in today. I bought it as a mod platform. Always wanted a Rhoads 7 but I don't like inverted headstocks on them. The 3+4 works for me and is much better geometry at the nut. Factory setup is playable, and the neck seems to be worth the price. The stock pickups are fine for the tone I want out of it. Hipshot bridge, tuners, and a new nut will be here soon. VERY pleased with my new toy!

tian

Reaction score
My JS22-7 RR HT came in today. I bought it as a mod platform. Always wanted a Rhoads 7 but I don't like inverted headstocks on them. The 3+4 works for me and is much better geometry at the nut. Factory setup is playable, and the neck seems to be worth the price. The stock pickups are fine for the tone I want out of it. Hipshot bridge, tuners, and a new nut will be here soon. VERY pleased with my new toy!
How's the balance on it? Any noticeable neck dive?

cindarkness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
As much as I love V shaped guitars, storing them is a b****. Wall hooks are off for me, so it's either a case under the bed or a special stand which takes a lot of space.
I've owned the JS22-7 previously, so I know what to expect. With some work/upgrades these are great.

Jbar0071

Reaction score
How's the balance on it? Any noticeable neck dive?

Honestly, not great. It wants to level out but, I also have a very silky black satin strap. A course nylon or leather strap should help. But, the way my arm rests on the top fin makes it a non issue for me.

Last edited: