Unbias opinions

Demiurge

Reaction score
This is hilarious, gotta be a troll post right?
It was more of a youthful, "this new thing I like is the best thing ever and everything else sucks" deal. Which I get- I'm sure I was no treat to talk music with when I was first getting into metal.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wiretap

Reaction score
It was more of a youthful, "this new thing I like is the best thing ever and everything else sucks" deal. Which I get- I'm sure I was no treat to talk music with when I was first getting into metal.

Oh for sure, I remember being the same way.. I couldn’t understand why someone would wanna listen to slipknot and korn all the other nu-metal of the late 90s and early 2000s when bands like Converge, Coalesce, Botch, Dillinger etc existed. Styles that ultimately have no similarities other than loosely falling under metal. Definitely a youth thing, haha.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
TL;DR Do (usually older) players have genuine reasons to not like modern guitars?
You better not try to argue with an old dude about that! :rofl:

Shortest answer I can give you to that is: Plenty of people will happily settle with objectively inferior specs (structurally weak headstock designs, uncomfortable neck joints, etc) if they give enough importance to other factors (looks, period-accurate specs, etc). For example, people like Evertunes and Headless guitars which have some clear advantages over older designs, but I find them ugly as sin and I wouldn't touch them with a stick.

Let's just say guitar is a journey. Just get what you like (and can afford) and don't mind what other people think or say. Your tastes will probably change over time, and will be heavily affected by everything (your guitar heros, your environment, your budget, etc. So don't give it too much thought and enjoy the ride.

When you get older, you'll probably like the same stuff that you drool over now (but can't afford). But you will try different guitars, and find things you like on each. So you will want to buy a lot more guitars. That's the way it is. And resistance is futile :lol:

This subject is cyclical.

I'm 46. When I was younger everyone wanted faster guitars with thinner necks, 24 frets, floyd roses, more sounds, coil taps, better ergonomics, etc. Headless guitars were a thing in the 80s, as were solid state amps. Les Pauls were old man guitars, and I distinctly remember making fun of my friend for buying one.

Then Slash happened and the Les Paul was cool again. 90s pop culture was also a big rejection of the 80s pop culture. Shredder and Stienburger guitars were out, Fender and Gibson were back in. PRS was the new "not your dad's guitar" option.

Depending on your age, you might have some opinions about certain shapes based on the music you associate with it. For me, headless guitars are synthpop and a half step away from a keytar in terms of being uncool. I get they're fashionable again, and I try to set my biases aside, but it's there in the back of my head. We're all a product of the environment we grew up in.

If you're 18, you're about to see the same thing unfold over skinny pants vs fat pants again...

This could perfectly be a /thread

Last edited:

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
Youngin superficial VS midlife crisis superficial.

I want clean internet combat, keep it above the keyboard.

FIGHT!

AwakenTheSkies

Life is like a box of chocolates
Reaction score
I'm not old, I'm 26. But I don't like most of the new guitars. I find them ugly, flashy and boring, even if they play really well. I also think the Fishmans look ugly too and only visually fit this modern futuristic style.

Never had a Fender or Gibson, but they are guitars with character. I don't know if you can say the same about the new "versatile" guitars. I like my PRS SE Tremonti Custom and Ibanez SZ, one's from 2014 and the other is from 2003. I like them so much I'd rather spend 1k on tools and pickups to improve them than buy one of the modern guitars. Because of sentimental attachment, and because I think visually they fit my music style a lot better than any of these new super fast super strats.

If Ibanez made a 2024 SZ model I'd totally buy it. Or if PRS made more cool affordable singlecuts like before. But since they don't...

Mboogie7

When the fuck did we get ice cream?
Reaction score
When I was a teenager and just starting my musical journey, I was anti fender and Gibson because I hated that all of the non musicians new those two brands.

I was a edge lord though who displayed a very elitist mindset when it came to music and guitars.

Then I heard a strat for the first time thru a Vox-AC15. That tone was butter and a few months later I got my strat.

For me, the strat just feels like home, and it’s got the magic mojo for writing. The neck radius made it a bit challenging for the faster solo runs, sure, but it made me a much better guitar player.

I’m still anti Gibson for no real reason other than I’m not a fan of the LP shape, but I’m 100% on board the fender train. They just feel sturdy, the necks feel great, it looks cool, and I can get just about every sound I need out of it.

Fender all the way - to the point where I’m tempted to buy another strat and mod the living hell out of it, because it feels that good in my hands. You can’t argue with mojo, either.

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
I'm not old, I'm 26. But I don't like most of the new guitars. I find them ugly, flashy and boring, even if they play really well. I also think the Fishmans look ugly too and only visually fit this modern futuristic style.

Never had a Fender or Gibson, but they are guitars with character. I don't know if you can say the same about the new "versatile" guitars. I like my PRS SE Tremonti Custom and Ibanez SZ, one's from 2014 and the other is from 2003. I like them so much I'd rather spend 1k on tools and pickups to improve them than buy one of the modern guitars. Because of sentimental attachment, and because I think visually they fit my music style a lot better than any of these new super fast super strats.

If Ibanez made a 2024 SZ model I'd totally buy it. Or if PRS made more cool affordable singlecuts like before. But since they don't...
But the SZ is a modern super strat though haha! It's literally half a century more modern than the LP, Telecaster and Stratocaster. For context, the SZ was released while I was a teenager, while the others were released while my grandparents were pre-teen kids. :lol:
Yes, the SZ is a more vintage take on the Saber, but it's still very modern.

AwakenTheSkies

Life is like a box of chocolates
Reaction score
But the SZ is a modern super strat though haha! It's literally half a century more modern than the LP, Telecaster and Stratocaster. For context, the SZ was released while I was a teenager, while the others were released while my grandparents were pre-teen kids. :lol:
Yes, the SZ is a more vintage take on the Saber, but it's still very modern.
By modern I mean post-COVID guitars. Depends on your age I guess. I wouldn't consider the SZ a modern guitar, it has been discontinued for like 10 years or even more. Has a 25,1" scale, feels more like a singlecut than a superstrat... it's a guitar from the nu-metal era, not the modern proggy pop stuff..

vark

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Why do people still buy challengers/chargers? Same deal

7stringDemon

Reaction score
Strats and Les Paul’s shred.

Single coils are metal as fuck.

The Ibanez AZ has been the most popular thing they’ve made in a long time, yet it’s literally just an uglier Strat with a roasted neck.

Tons of modern prog players using these things.

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
True story: adult rats are less likely to try new food sources than young rats.

I think... we all get the relevance here.

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
18201581_800.jpg

Calija

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have worded my original post poorly and it has been severely miss understood. that is mostly my fault for not taking the time to think it through properly but oh well

gh0styboi

El Stressperado
Reaction score
I think you're too deep into it. You can do any style on any guitar, really, if you take the time to get to really know your gear and hone your technique enough. I've got a Strat I play almost as much as my RGD multi-scale seven string, and a Tele I play equally with my 29" baritone eight string. I can get what I want out of each of them, which is why I still have them :lol:

To be honest, I'd spend my time focusing on finding the guitar(s) that feel good to you, and allow you do say/do what you want to say/do instead of whether or not someone else's opinion is biased or not, or driven by their generational bracket. I mean, when Buckethead can do what he does on a Les Paul, and Steve Vai can do what he does on an Ibanez, and Django Reinhardt could do what he did on an acoustic - all vastly different guitars - just find the guitar that you enjoy playing the most.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
The truth is: no one is worrying about your rig except for when you post online. No one thinks about it.

no one wakes up going “oh shit doesnt @technomancer have sweet jose mods and @Deadpool_25 love wdw and @MaxOfMetal can help me with my RG setup?” Its just not a thing.

Its like tattoos: no one remembers what tattoos you have unless they are the current topic of discussion. So get what you want.

Old guitars are cool. New guitars are cool. I care way more about what you create with it than the guitar itself.

NSLALP.

Metal Mortician

Ninja Lurker
Reaction score
For my perspective I always remember, there was a time in the 70s when stores couldn’t even sell a used ‘59 Les Paul because demand was so low.

Then Jimmy Page came along and changed all of that.

This was the time when many of the heroes acquired their coveted Pauls because they were working man’s guitars that sounded good through a cranked Marshall ( also an affordable gear option in England when compared to importing a Fender Amp.)