Unpopular Opinions

• Thread starter Mortargag
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
This isn't an unpopular opinion, I'm just piggybacking onto the previous conversation; The fact Brad Paisley is as good as he is yet keeps re-writing Water for his entire career is the biggest shame

A lot of country musicians seem like virtuosos that just write watered down dogshit pop music. :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
Anything modern and verse-chorus-verse borders on pop music to me. Especially when it's hook based with no real turnarounds. And clean vocals.

Reaction score
The big guitar gear YouTubers never seem to be interested in the signature guitars of women. I've noticed H.E.R, Lizzy Hale, St. Vincent, Reba Myers etc don't really get much coverage besides "We acknowledge that a company makes these". Trogly is really the only one I can think of who's shown actual interest.

I wonder why

Jon Pearson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The big guitar gear YouTubers never seem to be interested in the signature guitars of women. I've noticed H.E.R, Lizzy Hale, St. Vincent, Reba Myers etc don't really get much coverage besides "We acknowledge that a company makes these". Trogly is really the only one I can think of who's shown actual interest.

I wonder why
The retail outlets seem more interested in the St. Vincent than a lot of the review bro types. I really dig them. Reba's sig is sick as hell too. Lizzy and H.E.R. I don't know much about the guitars, but they are both sick players.

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
This isn't an unpopular opinion, I'm just piggybacking onto the previous conversation; The fact Brad Paisley is as good as he is yet keeps re-writing Water for his entire career is the biggest shame

A lot of country musicians seem like virtuosos that just write watered down dogshit pop music. :lol:

I mean, it's like Nuno. Playing for Rhianna probably pays the bills alot better than Extreme does.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score

I wonder why
My friend who does sadboi singer songwriter stuff plays a seafoam St Vincent sig, it's cool as fuck.

gnoll

Reaction score
Anything modern and verse-chorus-verse borders on pop music to me. Especially when it's hook based with no real turnarounds. And clean vocals.

Yeah it's really strange what people call metal these days. Take a modern generic pop song, change literally nothing except let distorted guitars play the chords, and voila, it's "metal".

SJShinn

Reaction score
My unpopular opinion, it's becoming increasingly maddening to see more companies embracing direct mount pickups. Rings or pickguard mounting will always be more functional and preserves the resale value of the pickups if you find you don't like them. And I think rings look better than just a big hole in a guitar. I'm seeing direct mount everywhere and it completely turns me off of a guitar, unless it comes stock with pickups that I know I like.

dr_game0ver

Reaction score
My unpopular opinion, it's becoming increasingly maddening to see more companies embracing direct mount pickups. Rings or pickguard mounting will always be more functional and preserves the resale value of the pickups if you find you don't like them. And I think rings look better than just a big hole in a guitar. I'm seeing direct mount everywhere and it completely turns me off of a guitar, unless it comes stock with pickups that I know I like.
If you get a guitar that you love so much, maybe you should, put a ring on it.

I'll see myself out.

Reaction score

This just in...musicians like paying their bills

gnoll

Reaction score

Totally! I will NOT buy a guitar with direct mount pickups.

I guess it's the djent kids' fault that they're so common?

It looks totally dumb. AND it's bad for functionality.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
This isn't too underhanded to say around here, but custom guitars aren't worth the money and most folks don't know what specs they actually prefer. Those points aren't mutually exclusive in many cases.

Casuals and children ruin most hobbies as much as the gatekeepers.

Jackson Indo guitars used to be really fucking good and their USA guitars now aren't.

gnoll

Reaction score
Casuals and children ruin most hobbies as much as the gatekeepers.

I think gatekeepers actually play a roll that's kind of important. Without gatekeepers everything would be a casual, shallow nightmare. Aren't gatekeepers sort of heroes in a way?

Gatekeeping has a very negative connotation to it but I think it can be done in a nice and helpful way. Like of course you can join in, just, if you're clueless try to learn and improve instead of ruining everything.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
The irony that your profile pic features a direct mounted guitar :lol:

Reaction score
I think gatekeepers actually play a roll that's kind of important. Without gatekeepers everything would be a casual, shallow nightmare. Aren't gatekeepers sort of heroes in a way?

Gatekeeping has a very negative connotation to it but I think it can be done in a nice and helpful way. Like of course you can join in, just, if you're clueless try to learn and improve instead of ruining everything.
No. Gatekeepers are losers with no lives who take irrelevant things too seriously. Nothing lasts forever and people look fucking stupid trying to hold on to a moment in time they have no real claim to. Let it go and move on. It's all a person can do

Nothing a person gatekeeps is even a rational thing to guard so heavily.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Growing up in the hardcore/punk scene, I knew gatekeepers all too well. "That's not punk that's mall pop!" "Oh he's got an AFI/Offspring/Green Day shirt on? Poser" (all of which are totally accepted into the punk and hardcore canon now)

It's silly and gets no one anywhere but stuck in the same stupid rut.