Unpopular Opinions

• Thread starter Mortargag
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
Ah shit, jam bands. The one collective genre that is actually worse than country.
*stuff that sucks is subjective - songs with no purpose other than showcasing playing are not enjoyable, neither are nasally drawls.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
Unpopular opinion: popularity of forums reduced musical output

Discuss
You think so? I think the home recording thing partially kicked off due to the availability of forums on the subject. I'd almost argue the opposite. Sure, some people would rather be terminally online instead of creating art, but their art was probably gonna be shit anyways if that's the case, so what are we missing?

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I would say forums could likely increase output.... my productivity by researching and switching from Pro Tools to Reaper, as well as learning about other gear. I'd think that's a similar story for others but that would take some time to study.

Also, I think forum usage is less of a detractor from musical output than other forms of more popular social media. Bonus points for decreases in musical output due to maintaining a social media presence and taking part in video trends and making social media "content" that is not original music.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I want to add that I have nothing against musicians that do that because that's how it's been for 10+ years with making content/keeping people engaged. I personally got sick of that rat race.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
You think so? I think the home recording thing partially kicked off due to the availability of forums on the subject. I'd almost argue the opposite. Sure, some people would rather be terminally online instead of creating art, but their art was probably gonna be shit anyways if that's the case, so what are we missing?
Forums definitely helped some, for sure. Song of the week contests or mix threads *can* help too. But i think more people are posting and reading vs making music. Every forum has regulars and im sure some of them create music consistently, but I have a hunch a majority of members post and read vs actually making music.

Screamingdaisy

Reaction score
IMO...

Forums have been good because they spread knowledge. As someone who's old enough to remember pre-forum, where all you had were industry magazines that sold you lies, forums were a huge step up in getting my hands on unfiltered knowledge.

As for the people who were prone to post all day instead of playing music, the internet never turned anyone into anything they weren't already.

If you're unproductive, that's not the internet's fault.

complex-barb.0t

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
1 .Almost all online lessons are a waste of money. Sorry that youtuber Bernth is not going to give you a magic short cut that will save you "years" worth of practice. Stop obsessing about the perfect way to learn/improve and just work on what you suck at (which is likely almost everything).

2. The people that bought Rick Beato's "music theory" book are beyond saving.

3. Most entry level guitars are of such poor quality that it hurts the industry as a whole. Giving new players high action, impossible to keep in tune guitars will just lead to them giving up early. The brands can only blame themselves when there is a lack of new players to enter the hobby. Entry level guitars should be the best setup out of the box because that is exactly what a new player needs. While on that subject many mid range guitars are total garbage and not really worth it over a $400 MIC Squier sadly.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
IMO...

Forums have been good because they spread knowledge. As someone who's old enough to remember pre-forum, where all you had were industry magazines that sold you lies, forums were a huge step up in getting my hands on unfiltered knowledge.

As for the people who were prone to post all day instead of playing music, the internet never turned anyone into anything they weren't already.

If you're unproductive, that's not the internet's fault.
Before forums (followed by smartphones) advertising was mostly paper, tv and radio. All fairly easy to avoid.

Move to computers, introduce cheaper laptops, eventually phones - and now advertising and scrolling are kicking into higher gear. If you’re already on a forum you may have multiple tabs open. Probably not working on your EP at the same time all this is going on, y’know?

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Most entry level guitars are of such poor quality that it hurts the industry as a whole.
I thought this wasn't true anymore. I was under the impression that over the last 10 years or so, entry level has tightened up because it's cheaper to just lower specs than it is to re-tool everything to build a bespoke cheap version and a bespoke mid range and bespoke "high-end" version of each product.

Reaction score
Unpopular opinion: popularity of forums reduced musical output

Discuss
These motherfuckers weren't doing anything anyways. Most people on forums just want to buy shit and get attention for having it. Many of them have no plans to keep the shit they get. They just take pics and sell it off for the next thing.

People who are going to make music, make music. The rest just sit around discussing which hand made boutique tube screamer pairs best with NOS Tungsols.

This is also why you can rarely ever get motherfuckers in forums to post clips of anything. Everyone keeps claiming they have the tone of the gods and in the age of easily accessible cameras you can't ever get any of these bitches to prove it and it's not even a thing that gets asked.

They just want to talk about shit, not actually do it.

complex-barb.0t

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I thought this wasn't true anymore. I was under the impression that over the last 10 years or so, entry level has tightened up because it's cheaper to just lower specs than it is to re-tool everything to build a bespoke cheap version and a bespoke mid range and bespoke "high-end" version of each product.
The instrument can be good, but little time was put into setup or none at all. New players are not SRV, sky high action makes them so hard to play. It's almost a right of passage for guitar players. You gotta start with borderline unplayable guitars and be totally blown away when they try something nicely setup.

I still get guitars that need everything setup. I am not even remotely picky about setup. When I sell a guitar the buyer always notes that the action is "too high" for their liking, so it's not like I demand an insanely low action. Every guitar out of the box should at least come with a string height at the 12th fret of 1.5mm for the first string and 2.0mm for the 6th. Also why is there no machine that just cuts the nut perfectly? That always seems a bit off (usually too high).

Screamingdaisy

Reaction score
Before forums (followed by smartphones) advertising was mostly paper, tv and radio. All fairly easy to avoid.

Move to computers, introduce cheaper laptops, eventually phones - and now advertising and scrolling are kicking into higher gear. If you’re already on a forum you may have multiple tabs open. Probably not working on your EP at the same time all this is going on, y’know?
We used to have this thing called television, and in the past people would sit in front of it motionless for hours on end. Some even trained their children to change the channel for them so they could avoid moving for longer periods of time.