Unpopular Opinions

• Thread starter Mortargag
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
After reading some of the comments in here, I've got an actual unpopular opinion (and sincerely held) - country music is the best form of music to have ever been conceived. It's depth and breadth far outpace anything in other music forms in that it has genuinely incorporated all manner of musical innovation and contains the full range of emotional expression, political discourse and social commentary into a continuous, cohesive style that is strikingly diverse and yet undeniably country.

Where rock falls short with nothing left to rebel against, country comfortably occupies the "normal". Where popular music may tend towards vapid, meaningless drivel, country can turn to inspection of culture's darkest corners. Country is outlaw, it's conformist, it's big trucks and NASCAR, it's a solemn lament to God, it's calling for social justice, it's "kids ain't right these days", it's virtuosic musicianship, it's three chords over and over.

So yeah, TL;DR - country doesn't suck, you suck 😂😂😂

Reaction score
Back to unpopular opinions:

Your precious little stupid fucking guitar tone doesn't amount to shit unless it can hold up in a mix. Whatever "godlike" tone you come up with alone in your room either holds up in a band mix or you just wasted your time trying to impress people with how good it sounds.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Back to unpopular opinions:

Your precious little stupid fucking guitar tone doesn't amount to shit unless it can hold up in a mix. Whatever "godlike" tone you come up with alone in your room either holds up in a band mix or you just wasted your time trying to impress people with how good it sounds.

I’ve been trying to explain this to people for years.

How you set your amp to sound awesome all alone vs how you set your tone in a band or recording mix is very different. Go back and listen to iso tracks for your fav guitar tones (what you think they are) and they sound much different than most expect.

That’s and distortion = volume.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
I’ve been trying to explain this to people for years.

How you set your amp to sound awesome all alone vs how you set your tone in a band or recording mix is very different. Go back and listen to iso tracks for your fav guitar tones (what you think they are) and they sound much different than most expect.

That’s and distortion = volume.

You know what I meant. Distortion doesn’t = volume lol.

spawnofthesith

Reaction score
Bluegrass > country

Who am I kidding tho I'm actually talking about jamgrass that tradionalist pickers hate

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
Honestly, thinking any aspect of a cultural art to be "racist" is just as reactionist and ignorant in reality as the cultural art could ever be in perception. That's the horseshoe.

spawnofthesith

Reaction score
We talking some Billy Strings type stuff here? Because I fuck with some Billy Strings type stuff, aggressively.

Billy is fantastic

Kitchen Dwellers, Greensky Bluegrass, Yonder Mountain String Band (back when jeff austin was still alive and in the band, not so much the current version of the band), Bela Fleck, Infamous Stringdusters, Lil Smokies, Leftover Salmon (deviates quite a bit), Sam Bush, Rumpke Mountain Boys, etc etc. are some other faves

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
After reading some of the comments in here, I've got an actual unpopular opinion (and sincerely held) - country music is the best form of music to have ever been conceived. It's depth and breadth far outpace anything in other music forms in that it has genuinely incorporated all manner of musical innovation and contains the full range of emotional expression, political discourse and social commentary into a continuous, cohesive style that is strikingly diverse and yet undeniably country.

Where rock falls short with nothing left to rebel against, country comfortably occupies the "normal". Where popular music may tend towards vapid, meaningless drivel, country can turn to inspection of culture's darkest corners. Country is outlaw, it's conformist, it's big trucks and NASCAR, it's a solemn lament to God, it's calling for social justice, it's "kids ain't right these days", it's virtuosic musicianship, it's three chords over and over.

So yeah, TL;DR - country doesn't suck, you suck 😂😂😂
Nah, country sucks. Everything you just said could be applied to any genre of music, except they all sound better than country, even when they suck. The "country sound" is traaaysh even when the songs are good.

Jon Pearson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Billy is fantastic

Kitchen Dwellers, Greensky Bluegrass, Yonder Mountain String Band (back when jeff austin was still alive and in the band, not so much the current version of the band), Bela Fleck, Infamous Stringdusters, Lil Smokies, Leftover Salmon (deviates quite a bit), Sam Bush, Rumpke Mountain Boys, etc etc. are some other faves

Sweet, some new stuff to check out - familiar with some of these but there is a lot here I don't know. Thanks!

spawnofthesith

Reaction score
Ok, here's an unpopular opinion clearly: I can't stand country myself but even I know that trying to claim that country is objectively bad is a dipshit take. Sorry guys :lol:

Jon Pearson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Ok, here's an unpopular opinion clearly: I can't stand country myself but even I know that trying to claim that country is objectively bad is a dipshit take. Sorry guys :lol:

I kinda walked into it bringing it up here - even more than Nickelback, country music is that thing that everyone loves to shit on, mostly based on the perception that the folks who produce are anymore ignorant or less intelligent than your average gaggle of musicians.

It's alright, I was just making the point to demonstrate an ACTUAL unpopular opinion, not the same ol' forum wisdom that gets trotted out here as some revelatory information every quarter.

In any case - this ain't gear talk, I best shut up before I get myself in trouble.