Unpopular Opinions

• Thread starter Mortargag
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
Trying to get headphones or monitors to sound like a 12" guitar speaker is not possible. Over YT or otherwise. 99% of the time you don't want it to. You can still tell characteristics and comparative insights to familiar amps/cabs/pickups you might know well, so for that it's pretty valuable to cruise YT tone samples. Representative but often badly defined is how I think of video tone tests. It's mostly to just get you into buying the thing or watching the thing, though. It's often the lowest common denominator of content that gets most popular and well funded. Obviously not to be confused with some old head with a nice camera phone running through his 3-4 different devices for an honest and mostly candid comparison. The former being pedestrian, and the latter being utilitarian which I prefer.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Trying to get headphones or monitors to sound like a 12" guitar speaker is not possible.
I think it would be possible with a careful room-sim and a binauraliser tuned for the listener, but that's more hoops to jump through than is currently practical.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
unpopular opinion: lunchtimetones on IG isnt awful, its god-awful(ly pro les paul).

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

complex-barb.0t

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It boggles my mind how dipshits like Truck Driver Shawn and Louis Torres have been somewhat successful on youtube. Zero production value, zero good recordings of the gear they get to try.
Louis Torres saying the "5150 Iconic can't chug" or whatever actually probably helped the amp sell better. You got this dipwad playing lame riffs at Guitar Center and saying it sucks, while at the same time people like Brandon Ellis make the amp sound fucking glorious. (Maybe tone truly in the hands?)

It lead to a tun of discussion of the amp and people realizing hes full of shit. In the end the Iconic won and nobody trusts his troll opinions anymore. His channel is effectively dead.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Louis Torres saying the "5150 Iconic can't chug" or whatever actually probably helped the amp sell better. You got this dipwad playing lame riffs at Guitar Center and saying it sucks, while at the same time people like Brandon Ellis make the amp sound fucking glorious. (Maybe tone truly in the hands?)

It lead to a tun of discussion of the amp and people realizing hes full of shit. In the end the Iconic won and nobody trusts his troll opinions anymore. His channel is effectively dead.
I wasn't aware of that bullshit but what a fucking clown... If you can't get one of those to chug you need to get help.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
The older I get, the more "tone is in the hands" makes sense to me. I've never in my whole damn life met an amp that couldn't chug, but I've met plenty of guitarists who couldn't.

Similarly, the road to doom is not paved with gear. People (myself included) spend all this time chasing particular amps and fuzz pedals and I copped 98% of Electric Wizard's tone straight into a Peavey Rage with everything at 10. Tone is in the hands, but doom is in the heart.

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
About the "classic strat" I can for sure think of some improvements:

Get rid of the silly trem thing. The fact that it doesn't even have a locking nut should be a sign that it's pretty useless anyway. Put some fixed bridge there instead.

Get gud.

Also had no problems doing this on my PRS SE when I had it. If there’s tuning hang-ups, 9x out of 10 it’s not happening at the bridge but the nut or some other contact point.

Also Part II- saw something about 6-screw Strat trems being screwed all the way down, that’s not how they’re supposed to be set up.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
It's not difficult to keep a non locking trem in tune. Hell, I have a Talman with a 6 screw trem and it stays in tune like a champ. And that's before I retrofitted with a Gotoh GE101TS and a bone nut.

While I'm in this thread; the Ibanez Saber line should've remained 22 frets. I appreciated the change when Herman Li made his sig, but it killed what makes the S series unique.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Get gud.

Also had no problems doing this on my PRS SE when I had it. If there’s tuning hang-ups, 9x out of 10 it’s not happening at the bridge but the nut or some other contact point.

Also Part II- saw something about 6-screw Strat trems being screwed all the way down, that’s not how they’re supposed to be set up.

Watch the Frudua vids on 6-pt trems, its very good. I got proper pull-up after following it, which was (shock) the first time Ive done my own trem setup.

Captain Shoggoth

Gotoh 1996T shill
Reaction score
I'd rather see a whole lineup of mid players play their balls off rocking out than a load of tech nerd fretboard watchers. Live metal/hardcore should be like WWE, not local community college jazz recital. If you can't do all your wanky noodling while maintaining a stage presence then as far as I'm concerned you can't do it. It's like saying you're a good driver but only when there's nobody else on the road :lol:

Screamingdaisy

Reaction score
I'd rather see a whole lineup of mid players play their balls off rocking out than a load of tech nerd fretboard watchers. Live metal/hardcore should be like WWE, not local community college jazz recital. If you can't do all your wanky noodling while maintaining a stage presence then as far as I'm concerned you can't do it. It's like saying you're a good driver but only when there's nobody else on the road :lol:
+1.

People go to see a show, not a listen.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
tHeRe sHuLd bE a LaW against all types of music and performance that I don't appreciate. Why? Because I don't appreciate it and I'm society manifest by personal election. Why would you do these things and distract me by evoking such profound pity for yourselves? The absolute gall of it, you uncultured swine who listen to *checks notes...* anything except hardcore?

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
tHeRe sHuLd bE a LaW against all types of music and performance that I don't appreciate. Why? Because I don't appreciate it and I'm society manifest by personal election. Why would you do these things and distract me by evoking such profound pity for yourselves? The absolute gall of it, you uncultured swine who listen to *checks notes...* anything except hardcore?
Screenshot_20240412_111357_Samsung Internet.jpg

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
While I'm in this thread; the Ibanez Saber line should've remained 22 frets. I appreciated the change when Herman Li made his sig, but it killed what makes the S series unique.
*yes*
I always thought of the Saber as some kinda fucked up shreddy Les Paul thing, but adding the 2 extra frets really killed the vibe of it. Just became another superstrat

Latest posts