Unpopular Opinions

• Thread starter Mortargag
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
Someone who knows better can correct me.

crrct.gif

I just wanted to use this GIF. It depends on the amp and guitar, but middle of the road this is a true statement. Guitar pots are logarithmic instead of linear in most cases, and master volumes can be pre or post phase inverter IIRC- which matters differently for different reasons.

The right answer is to match amp and cab volume sweet spots to the desired volume you want to play for volume, and then gain dials on amp for distortion and response (to a point). Or pull a Hendrix and lance your speakers with your guitar until something catches on fire, different strokes on a long road.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I just wanted to use this GIF. It depends on the amp and guitar, but middle of the road this is a true statement. Guitar pots are logarithmic instead of linear in most cases, and master volumes can be pre or post phase inverter IIRC- which matters differently for different reasons.
I was thinking more in terms of frequency content - in that when you roll your volume off, you're attenuating high end faster than low end, so your guitar darkens up a bit when you roll the volume back.

Kosthrash

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I was thinking more in terms of frequency content - in that when you roll your volume off, you're attenuating high end faster than low end, so your guitar darkens up a bit when you roll the volume back.
True, that's why I use a treble bleed mod, retaining thus the high end detail while roll the volume back. It's an inexpensive & easy mod!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
I actually kinda like the roll-off.
Same, but probably just because it's what I'm used to. I absolutely love the LP 4-knob control layout for maximum tone shaping options. I can't for the life of me understand why someone would want to take the tone knob off of a guitar.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think a volume knob doesn't attenuate the guitar evenly, so while, yes, that does happen, it'll sound different than if you used the gain knob on the amp. I think. I may be wrong. Someone who knows better can correct me.

The guitar’s volume knob is your clean channel. ;)

BenjaminW

Reaction score
Watch the Frudua vids on 6-pt trems, its very good. I got proper pull-up after following it, which was (shock) the first time Ive done my own trem setup.
He’s got another video on how to dive bomb the crap out of your guitar and still keep it in tune that’s pretty helpful.

If anyone hasn’t seen it, EVH has video on how Eddie set his 6-pt trem up.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
As a jamband metalhead dude, both kinda suck tbh

metalheads on the internet are one of the most insufferable groups out there, but in person they're usually cooler
My experience on live circles has usually been somewhat like:
- Hard rock dudes: Laid back, cool, they just want to party and drink
- Metalheads: Full of themselves.

There's still a lot of elitism about "technically inferior" genres wether people admit it or not.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
I think if we're talking about the worst of us, yea metalheads can be absolutely insufferable. God forbid you don't appreciate *whatever subgenre* of metal. On the other hand, I grew up with otherwise reasonable blues rock dudes who drank entirely too much and were constantly telling me anything metal was "playing flat". Anyone who is overwhelmingly philosophically dedicated to one kind of sound probably doesn't have a lot of musical education/culture, and that's what I find annoying more than anything. The technical style elitism is pretty funny to me, and as someone who enjoys and writes technical music. It's just funny to see people/myself try so hard and still have songs nobody wants to listen to more than once because it's mostly a collection of exercises all within one pigeon holed style/theme. It doesn't bother me in regard to my playing and writing because I don't take my music seriously at all as an artform, everything literally is an exercise to me and I don't feel any default obligation to entertain anyone. Other people have an "If it were easy then everyone would do it" mentality about highly technical styles and obviously that's absolute puffery and twaddle. Being the best at exercising doesn't mean you win every opinion based discussion, this isn't the fucking olympics lol.

That said, if anyone likes any of the In Flames albums after Soundtrack to Your Escape more than the albums before it they are a scourge upon our species and belong in the trash with their opinions.

jaxadam

Reaction score
Zebra pickups should be banned

Nope.

IMG-2682.jpg

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score
That said, if anyone likes any of the In Flames albums after Soundtrack to Your Escape more than the albums before it they are a scourge upon our species and belong in the trash with their opinions.
Sounds of a Playground Fading is my favorite In Flames album, and also my favorite In Flames song