Unpopular Opinions

• Thread starter Mortargag
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
High gain forgives mistakes though :lol:

People always say that but I've always thought it is the opposite. Compression can help even things out (specially on legato or tapping runs) but you better be a clean player or all your mistakes will turn into unfathomable noise.

Why does no one ever talk about Colony? That album fucks in so many ways.
Colony is kinda the "Black Album" of In Flames. A solid album with great production, but the stench of what was coming was starting to emerge :lol:

I always loved the title track, though.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
The technical supremacy thing has another side that I'm just remembering now. If another musician gives you a compliment just take it. On more than one occasion I've complimented guitarists from other (not as technical) bands and had either gotten scowled at or had it thrown back in my face. I wasn't being incredulous or dishonest in the slightest, either. Drop your fuckin ego and have fun, none of us are getting laid for this crap.

"Yea, we're not so good at math, but at least we can write good songs in a style people actually listen to" - Something I've heard a lot more times than once. It's true, but lol.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Colony is kinda the "Black Album" of In Flames. A solid album with great production, but the stench of what was coming was starting to emerge :lol:

I always loved the title track, though.
I find it weird since the album that follows it, Clayman, is usually considered their best album. And stylistically the albums aren't *too* far apart.
Great record, my second fav behind Jester Race. I like that the Halo Effect is doing the same style.
Same, eager to see how the new album sounds.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
I find it weird since the album that follows it, Clayman, is usually considered their best album. And stylistically the albums aren't *too* far apart.

Same, eager to see how the new album sounds.
I actually enjoyed their latest album. I think Chris Broderick hit a home run this time.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Reaction score
Once In Flames went full Hot Topic, I just started listening to Soilwork more. Am I reading correctly that In Flames might be good again?

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
Other people have an "If it were easy then everyone would do it" mentality about highly technical styles and obviously that's absolute puffery and twaddle.
The truth is more like, "if it were fun then everyone would do it."

High gain forgives mistakes though :lol:
So does playing fast. Doom and sludge might sound lazy, and sure plenty of it is, but there's a lot less room for mistakes when you get one or two chances every measure (if you're lucky) to be on tempo. I tried starting a band with this shredder dude, he completely fell apart during slow sections, and when I tried doing some fast licks with him he couldn't keep a consistent tempo there either. I'd assumed for years he was a solid player because I just never listened very closely but he must have been just noodling his way through every DM band he played in. No wonder he kept getting kicked out of bands.

Wiltonauer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The truth is more like, "if it were fun then everyone would do it."

So does playing fast. Doom and sludge might sound lazy, and sure plenty of it is, but there's a lot less room for mistakes when you get one or two chances every measure (if you're lucky) to be on tempo. I tried starting a band with this shredder dude, he completely fell apart during slow sections, and when I tried doing some fast licks with him he couldn't keep a consistent tempo there either. I'd assumed for years he was a solid player because I just never listened very closely but he must have been just noodling his way through every DM band he played in. No wonder he kept getting kicked out of bands.
So you met my twin? 🤣

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
Reroute To Remain is the only In Flames album I care about

So, on one hand, I don't get your love for MLs and Modifiers, ESP had is right with the Random Star, I'm with you on this one.

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
I guess since we are doing music related opinions: Jason Suecof and Joey Sturgis were responsible for equally epic guitar tones as Andy Sneap. Has anyone recently listened back to The Devil Wears Prada’s track Anatomy (I suspect not)? Jesus Christ that’s a nasty tone.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I guess since we are doing music related opinions: Jason Suecof and Joey Sturgis were responsible for equally epic guitar tones as Andy Sneap. Has anyone recently listened back to The Devil Wears Prada’s track Anatomy (I suspect not)? Jesus Christ that’s a nasty tone.
Zombie and ZII are awesome.... I frickin love Nightfall

lurè

Fake Shredder
Reaction score
Lunar Strain and Jester Race are gold, Whoracle has a couple of hits (Episode 666).

I've always found the rest a bit meh except maybe Come Clarity.