US Political Discussion: Biden/Harris Edition (Rules in OP)

• Thread starter mongey
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GatherTheArsenal

SF2 > Everything
Reaction score
Do you think he'll actually go for another shutdown in 9 days? Or that Republicans would allow him to without resistance?

Pelosi and Schumer don't seem to be budging, and with debt as high as it is I seriously feel bad for the the employees affected by it who are living paycheck-to-paycheck.

Not sure about the exact US stats but in comparison a Gov't shutdown in Canada may be catastrophic right now since the average household carries $23,000 in debt (excluding mortgages). Not that it's likely taking into account our parliamentary system where a vote of confidence against the PM would move things along in favour of the general populace.

Anyway I know that the U.S. carries it's own debt too per household and I heard it's not exactly pennies we're talking about either. I think a recent stat I came across stated that something like 40% of Americans have mortgages, so add an average household debt ontop of that and things start to look grim if Trump shuts down again...

I mean if the joint intelligence community don't see the southern border (or a wall for that matter) as a pressing issue, why is he so obsessed with it? Do you think he just wants something to point to where he can slap his name on it? That's the only thing that makes sense to me since he's so used to doing that in other ventures, successful or otherwise (trump uni, trump steaks, trump tower, etc.)

What do you think gents?

jaxadam

Reaction score
Hey, I just noticed that was Jaxadam! Any chance you'll be responding in a fact-based manner to my points? Or is this just another fly-by?

Hey buddy! I noticed you withdrew a comment on a couple of posts back, and it really warmed my heart to see you developing a more humble attitude. I'm proud of you! But other than that you're really just background noise. I do have a spot open for permanent residence on my Ignore list, though. I hear it's really nice there this time of year!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
Do you think he'll actually go for another shutdown in 9 days? Or that Republicans would allow him to without resistance?

What do you think gents?

There was already a news report wherein rank-and-file Senate members at a lunch were yelling at McConnell about how Trump's shutdown was negatively affecting their constituents, with McConnell angrily snapping back at them that he too found it difficult. (Not as hard as for those federal workers and contractors without pay, of course, but I suspect that his actual sympathies were used up in getting that tax cut for the wealthy.)

I suspect that congressional Republicans, having gotten a taste from constituents of the next election's likely outcome during the last Trump shutdown, will revolt. It won't matter to Trump, of course.

My big hope is that Trump goes the national emergency route, allowing future Democratic presidents to react in the same way, to numerous school shootings, other mass shootings, and the effects of climate change. Go Trump! Go McConnell!

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Well, this is inconvenient for Republicans.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/house...arted-and-supercharged-the-trump-russia-probe

With the transcripts from all that testimony from the Republican-led hearings now in Mueller's hands, anyone who committed perjury is now likely to be prosecuted.

And, of course, the investigation into the Trump inauguration and its funds is in full swing now, with lots of subpoenas being issued. Unfortunately for Trump and his cronies and family, the same things the feds could pursue are also state crimes in NY, so no federal Presidential pardons can be used to obstruct justice.

It's a good day to be someone in favor of law and order!

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
I want him to use his presidential powers to fire Mueller and build the fucking wall. How about that?

Ah! You want him to go for obvious obstruction of justice! An excellent path to impeachment and then prison. Good choice, especially since Ivanka (foundation and inauguration fraud), Jared (perjury and conspiracy) and Junior (perjury and conspiracy) will already be waiting in prison for him!

Lock him up!

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Ah! You want him to go for obvious obstruction of justice! An excellent path to impeachment and then prison. Good choice, especially since Ivanka (foundation and inauguration fraud), Jared (perjury and conspiracy) and Junior (perjury and conspiracy) will already be waiting in prison for him!

Lock him up!
Stop by Hillary's abode; we can take them both in one trip.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
In 5th grade (of Indiana public school; circa 2000) our class "Halloween" project was a "Historical Wax Museum", where we were split into groups and assigned different historical scenes to pose as for the "museum".

My group was slaves getting whipped by an overseer slave!

So myself and 3 girls painted our skin brown with makeup and put on wigs and "slave clothes" and I posed with my hand up in the air holding a rope like I was gonna hit them with it.

Photographs were taken. In case you're wondering why I'm not running for office.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I think it's safe to say that if we're judging people on the basis of things you did as a kid taken out of context, then literally nobody qualifies to run for office.

GatherTheArsenal

SF2 > Everything
Reaction score
There was already a news report wherein rank-and-file Senate members at a lunch were yelling at McConnell about how Trump's shutdown was negatively affecting their constituents, with McConnell angrily snapping back at them that he too found it difficult. (Not as hard as for those federal workers and contractors without pay, of course, but I suspect that his actual sympathies were used up in getting that tax cut for the wealthy.)

I suspect that congressional Republicans, having gotten a taste from constituents of the next election's likely outcome during the last Trump shutdown, will revolt. It won't matter to Trump, of course.

My big hope is that Trump goes the national emergency route, allowing future Democratic presidents to react in the same way, to numerous school shootings, other mass shootings, and the effects of climate change. Go Trump! Go McConnell!

Yeah McConnell comes off as a bit of a muppet saying shit like that taking into account his decisions on other matters which didn't seem hard for him. But to be fair, it's not exactly news that trump is block-headed either, i mean his reaction to Dan Coats and the heads of the FBI and CIA's testimonies was the equivalent of cat paws on a piano :noplease:

Washington (and the White House in general) sounds like a hectic place to be right now, so many leakers and employees who've peaced out in just 2 years :ugh:... and many of them don't want to come back. Even Sean Spicer after the SOTU speech was like "nope you're not getting me back" lol. So I can actually see McConnell not being the person to lead that charge, kinda comes off spineless in a sense, especially in front of a moronic A-type personality like trump.

Regarding the next impending shutdown, both Congress and Senate Republicans may revolt. Trump's just playing with ppl's lives at this point and it's becoming harder for GOP reps to turn a blind eye without their own base taking them to task for it. Considering he had no exit plan for the first one I don't think trying it again would be as easy for him, and it'll be catastrophic to his polls and he knows it now.

I think he's bluffing.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There will be another shutdown. It'll be a long one again. At most, some GOP Senators will go on news channels and complain, some will tweet about it, Mitt Romney might pretend to care again to bolster his likely presidential run at some point, but besides a small handful of folks in purple states up for reelection in 2020, the McConnell controlled Senate will not, as a unit, defect. Ever.

We need to stop believing any of these Senators, especially McConnell, actually give a shit about this country or its people. It's all a means to an end for them. They're old and rich. They don't care about what we put on thier tombstones.

GatherTheArsenal

SF2 > Everything
Reaction score
Yeah you may have point there. But I'm seeing a possibility that considering trump's own trains of thought atm seem to be:

*trump voice*

a) I want what I want no matter what, also I was defied by pelosi and my base is mad, so I need to recover my ego by pushing hard for the wall.

b) but if I push hard again my polls will take a battering and I don't want that.

I'm not saying he may not do another shutdown out of the goodness of his (or the GOP's) heart, I'm saying that history has shown that he acts out of his own interest regardless of who else is in harms way, so if there's a chance he'll lose again I don't think he'll tempt it. It's not in his best interest now or in 2020.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah you may have point there. But I'm seeing a possibility that considering trump's own trains of thought atm seem to be:

*trump voice*

a) I want what I want no matter what, also I was defied by pelosi and my base is mad, so I need to recover my ego by pushing hard for the wall.

b) but if I push hard again my polls will take a battering and I don't want that.

I'm not saying he may not do another shutdown out of the goodness of his (or the GOP's) heart, I'm saying that history has shown that he acts out of his own interest regardless of who else is in harms way, so if there's a chance he'll lose again I don't think he'll tempt it. It's not in his best interest now or in 2020.

If he cared about polls we wouldn't be where we are now. :lol: