US Political Discussion: Biden/Harris Edition (Rules in OP)

• Thread starter mongey
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bentaycanada

Reaction score
Dude, you are the one who brings up the immigrant anecdote to make a point, yet someone replies with anecdote and you reject it? How is that good faith?

Especially to follow up with "here's my anecdote about my mother" and now anecdote is a valid point again? Which is it? Are you actually trying?

Then you're missing the point. The anecdotes don't matter. Everyone and anyone can claim any number of wrong doings, but not when they're weren't even alive? So someone called me a bad name? Does that mean Canada is racist? Nope. that dude was a douche. Why would I put that on Canadian society? There's a reason anecdotes are not used as evidence.

Last edited:

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Then you're missing the point. The anecdotes don't matter. Everyone and anyone can claim any number of wrong doings, but not when they're weren't even alive?

So, places like the Legacy (Lynching) Museum or the Holocaust Museum shouldn't exist, since the decendents of those people should like, get over it, man?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So when you have 15-35 year olds today pretending they were affected by past oppression that they were never present for, it's a joke. A pathetic joke.

That's sort of the point, shadows of past horrors are still very present in modern society.

I'm not sure why that's a difficult pill to swallow. Children raised in poverty don't have as good of outcomes as those raised in relative wealth. That's a direct link, and doesn't go away, not with meager change generation over generation.

If you think your mother's trauma didn't in some way affect your life, statically, you're very lucky.

If you have some time, look up what living with veterans of WWI and WWII was like. Those men and women went through Hell, and that had a major impact on the children they raised, and still does in some ways. Now consider that chattel slavery was many, many times worse than that.

That doesn't even bring up systemic issues like Red Lining, studies done that show that having non-historically white European names get filtered out of school and job applications at higher rates, and harsher judgements against people of color.

Just some food for thought. If you need help with links, let me know there's a bunch of information out there, it can be pretty dry at times.

mbardu

Reaction score
Then you're missing the point. The anecdotes don't matter. Everyone and anyone can claim any number of wrong doings, but not when they're weren't even alive? So someone called me a bad name? Does that mean Canada is racist? Nope. that dude was a douche. Why would I put that on Canadian society? There's a reason anecdotes are not used as evidence.

Say your grandpa was unlucky to be born black. He was segregated against, and although he worked hard all his life, like your grandma, he didn't leave much to your father. They were working so hard that they didn't have much time to help with his education either, and the teacher at his school didn't pay much attention to him because of the color of his skin, so he didn't get a great education there either. But your dad did his best and worked hard all his life, like your mom. They weren't able to spend much time with you on things like reading or extracurricular activities or whatever, but they did their best. Either because of discrimination still there today, or because you cannot afford it, you won't go to college. You may work hard, but your circumstances are difficult from the start. Oh and that's assuming your dad didn't get shot in the back for being black and "threatening" by the way.

Now say you're born white to a wealthy family and contrast that compounded over a few generations. Stay at home mom, networking & connections, paid-for higher-education, no job discrimination. Maybe with a family safety net you even start a successful business and become independently wealthy? Bonus: you're still white so the cops won't even shoot at you. Congratulations you won at life!

Geez I wonder why there's inequality...that must not be related at all!
You can work hard and still end up screwed if the game is rigged.

mbardu

Reaction score
I give up....seriously. You don't want a conversation you just wanna do this.....

This, except he's the protester, and it's just mean liberal hippies driving by in their Tesla making 0 noise so he's even more pissed that they're not even smoking him with a big 'Murican truck.

Bentaycanada

Reaction score
Say your grandpa was unlucky to be born black. He was segregated against, and although he worked hard all his life, like your grandma, he didn't leave much to your father. They were working so hard that they didn't have much time to help with his education either, and the teacher at his school didn't pay much attention to him because of the color of his skin, so he didn't get a great education there either. But your dad did his best and worked hard all his life, like your mom. They weren't able to spend much time with you on things like reading or extracurricular activities or whatever, but they did their best. Either because of discrimination still there today, or because you cannot afford it, you won't go to college. You may work hard, but your circumstances are difficult from the start. Oh and that's assuming your dad didn't get shot in the back for being black and "threatening" by the way.

Now say you're born white to a wealthy family and contrast that compounded over a few generations. Stay at home mom, networking & connections, paid-for higher-education, no job discrimination. Maybe with a family safety net you even start a successful business and become independently wealthy? Bonus: you're still white so the cops won't even shoot at you. Congratulations you won at life!

Geez I wonder why there's inequality...that must not be related at all!
You can work hard and still end up screwed if the game is rigged.

I don’t disagree with most of that, but I’d argue that the inequalities are more to do with wealth disparity than racism in the system. I refuse to believe that there was no forward momentum between 1968-2020.

Especially, including the first black president, who should have helped unify a country, instead he used his time to promote lies, like cops are racist, America is racist and republicans are racist. Which are not true.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Charred_corpse_of_Will_Brown_Omaha_Courthouse_September_28_1919.jpg
Mary-Turner-Marker-Zinn-Education-Project.jpg

^ This occurred just 100 years ago. Our grandparents and/or their parents lived through this era in America. The most horrific part of this photo is not the body of the young man who was torured and burned alive. The horror is the town folk posing and smiling for the photo. Parents would bring their children. This wasnt hidden. This wasnt unpopular. This was America... 40 years after Slavery was ended.

This is America just 50 years ago:

segregation.jpg
cr0024_enlarge.jpg

This is America now:

upload_2021-2-22_20-10-22.png
5edfc1ac19182479f7196888.jpeg 5ede559caee6a8655e75547e.jpeg 5edeabd25af6cc12cb1b9635.jpeg 5edeac16f0f41916f169b018.jpeg 5edff2554dca68128544ec25.jpeg

@Bentaycanada can you honestly not see how these are all interconnected? How the American prison system, which houses more Blacks than were slaves in 1850, which is the largest penal system on earth, is the continuation of systematic racism through modern day slavery?

"Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction."

Bentaycanada

Reaction score
View attachment 90538
View attachment 90544

^ This occurred just 100 years ago. Our grandparents and/or their parents lived through this era in America. The most horrific part of this photo is not the body of the young man who was torured and burned alive. The horror is the town folk posing and smiling for the photo. Parents would bring their children. This wasnt hidden. This wasnt unpopular. This was America... 40 years after Slavery was ended.

This is America just 50 years ago:

View attachment 90549
View attachment 90548

This is America now:

View attachment 90539
View attachment 90541 View attachment 90542 View attachment 90545 View attachment 90546 View attachment 90547

@Bentaycanada can you honestly not see how these are all interconnected? How the American prison system, which houses more Blacks than were slaves in 1850, which is the largest penal system on earth, is the continuation of systematic racism through modern day slavery?

"Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction."

I’ll have to go through those and their sources, but in short, no I don’t see things the same way as you. Never have, never will.

mbardu

Reaction score
I don’t disagree with most of that, but I’d argue that the inequalities are more to do with wealth disparity than racism in the system. I refuse to believe that there was no forward momentum between 1968-2020.

Especially, including the first black president, who should have helped unify a country, instead he used his time to promote lies, like cops are racist, America is racist and republicans are racist. Which are not true.

I don't understand what you're saying. If you're not disagreeing with that, then your point makes no sense. Wealth disparity and systemic racism are deeply intertwined. Even if all racism stopped in 1968 (we all know it didn't and we all know it's still around today), it's not like there's been generations and generations for things to equalize. And as long as racism is still a thing, it will remain unfair for generations after, unless something is done about it (for equality of treatment and of opportunity).

Not even getting into why conservatives still need to keep bringing up the Clintons and Obama .... but what's your problem with Obama exactly? Did he do something against white people? I even doubt he would have said cops are racist. He used that term extremely sparingly. What's your source on that?

Weren't conservatives the ones dividing the nation for 8 years with legislative blocks, made up scandals and birther BS (once again lacking any standard and honesty considering that they're supporting Canadian Ted Cruz)?

Last edited:

spudmunkey

Reaction score

All cops? No. An alarmingly disproportionate representation within law enforcement? Yes.

"In 2017, the FBI reported that white supremacists posed a “persistent threat of lethal violence” that has produced more fatalities than any other category of domestic terrorists since 2000. Alarmingly, internal FBI policy documents have also warned agents assigned to domestic terrorism cases that the white supremacist and anti-government militia groups they investigate often have “active links” to law enforcement officials."

https://www.brennancenter.org/our-w...m-white-supremacy-and-far-right-militancy-law

BlackSG91

Loves Black Guitars & Meng Mengs
Reaction score
Those statements are opinion, not fact. I'm a twice immigrant and have been called many names, and told to go back to my own country on numerous occasions. I don't blame that on any of my host countries. I've lived in the US on at least 3 periods on a J2 visa. There are always going to be bigots, racists, homophobes etc.... They are as common as a good neighbour. However, I do not believe that POC's are put upon at any rate by Western society. Many of the disparities we are told are because of "systemic racism" are just as easily explained through wealth disparity.

So you are an immigrant? From where...Norway?:lol: I don't actually see you being an immigrant from a shit-hole country that is filled with 'Brown' people.:oops:

;>)/

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Yeah, everyone has a story. Great. Next.
You're not exactly going to win over people with that kind of attitude. Even if you were entirely right, being dismissive is exactly how to convince zero people to listen to you.
So someone called me a bad name? Does that mean Canada is racist?
If the insult came from a Canadian, and was demonstrably emblematic of an unhealthy view of other cultures, then yes. I say that as a Quebecer. "Canada is not racist" is not an accurate or complete assessment.

There's a reason anecdotes are not used as evidence.
In what context? 'Cause anecdotes are used as evidence all the time.

wealth disparity
Legit question: Where do you think wealth disparity comes from?

BlackSG91

Loves Black Guitars & Meng Mengs
Reaction score
So you're saying "don't post if you don't adopt group-think". How very woke of you! *claps*

Here's a question - when is Joe ever going to do a press conference? Is he awake or even alive?

I bet Joe has done a press conference but someone like you doesn't watch the 'Fake News' has probably missed it since your only news sources are probably OANN and NewsMax....'Real News'.:lol: So is Joe awake or even alive...are you implying that he is sleepy...'Sleepy Joe'? I'd rather have someone who is a bit sleepy but carries loads of compassion and empathy towards others and makes at least an effort compared to 4 years of Dementia Donald who is a sociopath, a narcissist, a seditionist & all of the above who spent most of his presidency playing golf and sending angry tweets with his tiny little hands. He truly never did his job as president and he was never held accountable by most Retrumplicans who just enabled him with a blind eye. They let him get away with literally murder which was the January 6th. insurrection and his Covid response during all of 2020 where he said the virus will magically disappear! Who thinks like that...a little kid thinks that way. They stick their fingers in their ears and start singing while ignoring voices of reason.

You mentioned you are not a Trump supporter. I personally think you are full of shit. Your thread that got locked down proves it...I've read the whole thread. You sound like Lindsay Graham who condemns Trump from time to time but then soon after he has his chapped lips puckered right onto Donny's fat ass. I'll have to say that an earthworm has more spine than Lindsay or Cancun Cruz.:nuts:

;>)/

Last edited: