US Political Discussion: Biden/Harris Edition (Rules in OP)

• Thread starter mongey
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DrewH

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Regarding teachers, some of my friends and immediate family are teachers. There are good teachers and there are bad teachers. I come from the bottom of the socioeconomic rung of the ladder. If not for great teachers in schools fraught with problems associated with the bad elements that are part and parcel with this socioeconomic tier, I don't believe I would be where I'm at today.

I still remember the names and faces of elementary, middle school, and high school teachers that had huge positive impacts on my life and trajectory. For the most part, I think there's nuance, but I believe that good teachers are underpaid and under appreciated. Specialized and STEM roles should warrant a higher salary, but there's zero reason, that I can think of, that an elementary teacher should make less than $50k in some states. Just my opinion.
I like teachers. Very important members of society. I had some influential ones. They do deserve to be paid more but to an extent. On the flip side, name another occupation where you get 12+ weeks off a year. I have 2 close friends that are teachers. One district gave her a 6 month paid sabbatical. Both will receive very significant pensions, which is a dying thing in the US. Their healthcare coverage is better than is provided with most private sector jobs. So, yeah the pay doesn't seem ok on the surface but those benefits are obscene. I hear the bragging every Summer.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
You teach? Yeah, thats cute. I'd love to have that easy of a job. You couldn't take the pressure of what I do or process the info I have to on a daily basis. So, stop thinking you are better than me.

I like teachers. Very important members of society. I had some influential ones. They do deserve to be paid more but to an extent.

1709916527719.jpeg

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score
I like teachers. Very important members of society. I had some influential ones. They do deserve to be paid more but to an extent. On the flip side, name another occupation where you get 12+ weeks off a year. I have 2 close friends that are teachers. One district gave her a 6 month paid sabbatical. Both will receive very significant pensions, which is a dying thing in the US. Their healthcare coverage is better than is provided with most private sector jobs. So, yeah the pay doesn't seem ok on the surface but those benefits are obscene. I hear the bragging every Summer.
Man I'm not sure I've ever been as disgusted by a human as I am with you after you typed this shit. Fuck off.

Briz

Lifelong Learner
Reaction score
I can only speak to what I know from my experience. Yes, summers off is a bonus. However, many that I know use their own funds to pay for supplies and projects, work summer jobs, etc. Also, there are quite a few times they work well over 8hrs a day, not including teacher work days, work weeks during the summer, mandatory licenses and certifications, car pool, after school programs, chapperones at events, parent conferences after hours, and so on. There's nuance, I agree. We also have to recognize that these are necessary roles. How do you attract top talent to a job that doesn't pay a livable wage unless you have dual income sources?

Conversely, I've heard of first hand experiences with bad teachers that couldn't be fired because of bureaucratic loopholes and tenure. That's a different conversation.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'll correct myself...

My sister is a school teacher and she works TWO other jobs, plus she still takes classes for continued education requirements and certifications for her teaching job.

But that's so extreme I don't know how typical it is. I just remember going to school and most of my teachers bartending or waiting tables on the side.

USMarine75

Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah hard to argue that teachers are overpaid or over-benefited but here we are lol.

Their pay is based on 9-10 months of work. Some school districts allow them to convert that to a lower 12-month salary. So that said, they’re not being paid to sit home over the summer.

That average of $47k/yr for a middle school teacher, however you slice it up, doesn’t go far.

TLDR douche.

Briz

Lifelong Learner
Reaction score
I'll correct myself...

My sister is a school teacher and she works TWO other jobs, plus she still takes classes for continued education requirements and certifications for her teaching job.

But that's so extreme I don't know how typical it is. I just remember going to school and most of my teachers bartending or waiting tables on the side.
Every teacher I know, except for one, has a side hustle or summer job. That's only 11 people, but still. The one that doesn't have another job has a husband that makes enough money that it's not necessary for her to supplement her income.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
In 2024 teachers are working second jobs just to buy school supplies.
I knew some teachers ten years ago that were doing that and it wouldn't surprise me if they were doing it years before that too.

I honestly can't comprehend how anyone would just shit on teachers and then back pedal like that. Seriously, what the fuck.

Riff the Road Dog

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
A
And with this second most ignorant statement I've seen here I'm done reading or entertaining this crap. With this kind of clueless take on educators and education it's no wonder this country is circling the toilet. No respect for teachers or actually thinking. Great.

Briz

Lifelong Learner
Reaction score
I should have also mentioned that the pensions for the teachers in my area require 20+ years of service in that state. On top of that, they get roughly 50% of the average of their highest four years of salary. I'm not sure how it works in other states, but that's not a lot of money, even if you average $60k - $70k. A 401k or retirement plan is still necessary. Most of my teacher friends plan to supplement that pension by continuing to teach in another state after retirement. Teacher pensions in my area aren't golden parachutes.

USMarine75

Contributor
Reaction score
Teachers have failed DrewH. I can see why he is bitter.

His grandfather also failed DrewH - and his entire country - when he was captured. I can see why he is bitter.

Imagine having to grow up knowing your grandpappy was a sucker and a loser? Had to be rough.

Fun fact though, his granddaddy’s name was Suzi. In honor of his war service, Extreme wrote a song about what he went through in the camps to survive. So proud. So brave.

Latest posts