US Political Discussion: Biden/Harris Edition (Rules in OP)

• Thread starter mongey
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DrewH

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
A lot of parents' idea of helpful counseling is going to be conversion therapy or equivalent or worse. Which is why parents' rights are such a joke. Kids aren't your property, they're people.
Did you have awful parents? Serious question. Because that's a really negative view of parents.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
FFS, just do what I did and hit the ignore button on the guy. Don't keep engaging with this disingenuous asshole, because all he does is say stupid shit to try and get a rise out of people, with absolutely no thought given to ideological consistency. I don't even have to be able to see his posts to know that, I can tell by the responses.

He's clearly a parasite that feeds on the misery of others, so stop giving him the reactions (which is any reaction) that he wants.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
44000 posts says you haven't left your home in over a decade except to get groceries.

Not that Max needs defending, but after 16 years here - a total of 5,840 days - thats ~8 posts a day; wow, hope you could find time for all those posts in the 16 hrs a day you're not sleeping Max, thank you for your service.

Now if only some of them were useful! D'oh oh oh! *insert Waldorf & Statler here*

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not that Max needs defending, but after 16 years here - a total of 5,840 days - thats ~8 posts a day; wow, hope you could find time for all those posts in the 16 hrs a day you're not sleeping Max, thank you for your service.

Now if only some of them were useful! D'oh oh oh! *insert Waldorf & Statler here*

IMG_3480.jpeg

I have no idea what they're talking about, but it met the vibe.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
Show me where any Democratic candidate said - let alone SCREAMED - "fuck parents rights"

I won't hold my breath
Yeah hi, I'm Wheresthefbomb and I'd like to ask for YOUR vote for the 2024 Presidential Election. My campaign platforms include Fuck Parents' Rights, Mulch Everyone Over 50, and Free Drugs.

Glades

Down in the Everglades
Reaction score
Parents are just scared their kids will get a crazy teacher that will teach them some weird ideology. But honestly, kids these days get most of what they learn from social media and peers anyways. You can’t control every avenue of information that’s getting to your kids.
Best way to raise good kids is by being a solid role model at home. If your kids love and respect you, they will listen. If you are some scumbag parent, trying to restrict everything, your kids will probably shoot off a different way. Seen this too many times with strict parents, their kids end up super messed up.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Parents are just scared their kids will get a crazy teacher that will teach them some weird ideology.
This feels dog-whistle-y to me. What "weird ideology" would be taught other than that being trans is ok? Other than it being ok to explore personal identity?

Best way to raise good kids is by being a solid role model at home.
But that's a cop-out when there's no objective consensus of what a "good role model" is. Just as many parents think that discouraging self-exploration and skepticism of authority is being a good role model.

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
The best thing that I've done for my mental health was turning off the news and steering clear of the podcasts, click-bait youtube links, and other forms of social media driven opinion pieces and the like. I'll still be voting this time around but I seriously had to stop allowing myself to be sucked into this mess. Caring too much about any of this shit became maddening for me and that negative energy manifested itself in toxic ways that I can't afford at this point in my life.
I feel this in my bones. I'm almost completely disengaged. My 'activation' was effectively Dubya stealing 2000; my 'soft exit' was Trump winning 2016; my 'hard exit' was COVID. It's not even that I care any less, now; it's that I'm entirely exhausted by the staggering amount of people I encounter who clearly don't care.
I've long felt we give children far too little agency when it comes to school, medication choices, and many other things.
Hard agree. Especially on the 'little' things, like physical affection. Kids don't owe anyone hugs/kisses/snuggles/etc. Not even Grandma. That kind of affection is earned. We give our kid as much agency as we can. How else are they supposed to learn how to exist with any degree of independence?
Wanting the child to have an avenue to professional support is not having the best interests in mind?
This was Olympic podium level mental gymnastics. Bravo. The point you were dancing around was already a dead horse by the time you bothered to type that.

I presume you've heard the phrase "it takes a village?" In public systems ("we live in a society!") the avenues to professional support exist for minors, with or without the knowledge of their parents, because yes - absolutely - children with negligent/abusive/dangerous/etc parents need them. The WHO estimates 1-billion kids (2-17) per year experience physical, sexual, or emotional violence; it's not at all a minor issue. There's a pair of kids in my orbit right now, who have recently escaped a situation in which they were being sexually abused by their own father. Statistically, most sexual assault is familial. And that's just extreme cases; let alone the more subtle 'death by a thousand cuts' that so many kids endure as their 'coming of age' experience.

Further, economically speaking, it's far from every supportive parent, whom can afford professional support. Mental health professionals in my area average $400 per hour; online equivalents (BetterHelp; etc) run around $4-500/month, which despite being considerably less expensive, is still far beyond reach for anyone in the average tax brackets. Factor in that, like dental and vision, mental health care isn't typically covered even in socialized systems.

The best we can do is provide training to ensure the professionals around these kids are trained to analyze each situation and determine when a kid is actually in danger vs 'crying wolf', then apply the appropriate supports to either of those scenarios. While there is obvious variance on a per-school/district basis, and/or the aptitude(s) of the individuals involved, that is largely the system we have, today, and have been using since I was a student in the 80's and 90's.

Of course parents have rights. To a point. Abuse isn't among those rights. There are legally defined boundaries (variance per locality) for what does and does not qualify as abuse, but among commonalities are typically violence, and neglect, and those have subcategories (physical, emotional, sexual,) that are likewise defined. If any parent disagrees with the letter of the law in their locality, they remain welcome to lobby their local legislators. Y'all seem to fear that if a kid tells a counselor "I was thinking about maybe dressing differently," the counselor jumps straight to "GREAT! Let's fill out these forms for your conversion surgery," but "that's not how this works. That's not how any of this works."

Glades

Down in the Everglades
Reaction score
This feels dog-whistle-y to me. What "weird ideology" would be taught other than that being trans is ok? Other than it being ok to explore personal identity?

But that's a cop-out when there's no objective consensus of what a "good role model" is. Just as many parents think that discouraging self-exploration and skepticism of authority is being a good role model.
Weird ideology?
I had an Italian history teacher in high school that was a big fan of nazi germany and especially Mussolini. He would quote him all the time, and constantly say how much better the world would be if Italy would have won the war. What a pest Jews are to the world economy and why we should get rid of them.
He would also say to always wear slacks and dress shoes, that shorts and sandals are what homosexuals wear.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Weird ideology?
I had an Italian history teacher in high school that was a big fan of nazi germany and especially Mussolini. He would quote him all the time, and constantly say how much better the world would be if Italy would have won the war. What a pest Jews are to the world economy and why we should get rid of them.

This does explain a lot.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Weird ideology?
I had an Italian history teacher in high school that was a big fan of nazi germany
What a wild jump. The topic was outing trans kids to their families without their consent. And you back it up with "I met a Nazi once". Ya know, that thing that's spoken about as the default evil thing as if kids don't know what that means. That's vastly different from the "yeah, but they're teaching my kids to be woke" argument, or the "why did they change math" argument.

If this is the logic, then you might as well just home-school, because no, you cannot shield all children in a "trans people and nazis don't exist" bubble forever.

Glades

Down in the Everglades
Reaction score
What a wild jump. The topic was outing trans kids to their families without their consent. And you back it up with "I met a Nazi once". Ya know, that thing that's spoken about as the default evil thing as if kids don't know what that means. That's vastly different from the "yeah, but they're teaching my kids to be woke" argument, or the "why did they change math" argument.

If this is the logic, then you might as well just home-school, because no, you cannot shield all children in a "trans people and nazis don't exist" bubble forever.
Not really a wild jump. The point i was trying to make is that there are good educators and bad educators, just like there are good parents and bad parents.
And bad educators are not always the typical boogieman example the right scares parents with (you know, the pink-haired liberal that teaches your kids ideas about there being more than 2 genders, pronouns, etc.). If you can live with extremist teachers that acknowledge these theories of multiple genders, you should also be able to live with the extreme opposite. Or …. We could just teach subject matter and leave wild political/gender ideology out of our classrooms.