Used gear market is kinda weird right now.

• Thread starter Bandersnatch
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I can't say what UPS is like currently, but an acoustic guitar, over-packed is only ~$35 with FedEx and ~$45 with USPS just about anywhere in the US with commercial pricing. I would assume Reverb has a MUCH steeper discount than I do just on volume alone, so they're probably making anywhere from $30-$60 on that $100 shipping charge. Pretty much robbery.

Really? That's VERY surprising, not sure why the price would be so substantially different since it's not like my baritone weighed THAT much more, and it was maybe a total of 3" longer due to the obvious scale difference + inline headstock vs. 3x3. I wasn't thrilled to learn the insurance and packing from them was I think $150, but even still that meant the original delivery was still around $110.

It was also going from coast to coast, but even still, I feel like it used to be 3/4 of that

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
Really? That's VERY surprising, not sure why the price would be so substantially different since it's not like my baritone weighed THAT much more, and it was maybe a total of 3" longer due to the obvious scale difference + inline headstock vs. 3x3. I wasn't thrilled to learn the insurance and packing from them was I think $150, but even still that meant the original delivery was still around $110.

It was also going from coast to coast, but even still, I feel like it used to be 3/4 of that
Retail pricing at those places is insane. FedEx quoted me $135 on a 18x18x8 box that weighs like 6lbs.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Shipping in the US has become insane. I would understand if shipping jumped from $150 to $250 on a guitar, but $50 to ship a pedal or pickup is just mental.

It's a shame because I can pretty much only buy from europe these days.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I shipped a pickup an hour and a half pre pandemic and it cost me $25cdn. Expected $10.

Concerto412

Aeternae Sonus
Reaction score
I had two pickups shipped last week - each cost less than $15 CAD to ship, but both trips were within the province.
The most substantial thing I’ve moved in the past few years was a G-Flex 2x12. Even as hefty and overpacked as it was, I think it was $180 CAD all told to ship it out west to Alberta.

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score
Mind me asking what you listed it for?
$800. The guy I got mine from just sold his other one the week before I listed mine for that, he only had it listed a week or so before it was gone and had multiple offers 🤷‍♂️

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I had two pickups shipped last week - each cost less than $15 CAD to ship, but both trips were within the province.
The most substantial thing I’ve moved in the past few years was a G-Flex 2x12. Even as hefty and overpacked as it was, I think it was $180 CAD all told to ship it out west to Alberta.
Bubble mailer or box?

Edika

Reaction score
Most of used gear I see on Reverb and ebay are a couple hundred below new price. I mean, I'd rather buy new then and have more peace of mind. There are a few better prices here and there but still people are not biting as much. The bargains just get scooped up immediately.

Surprisingly, locally FB marketplace doesn't have any good deals. It's wither budget stuff or again overpriced. I find some decent prices in the rest of the UK but I would not trust to buy something from there not in person. Most would not ship anyway.

But the most strange thing is the availability of stuff, as other posters mention. There's just really few things on sale.

Shask

Reaction score
I bought a rack unit a few months ago and the shipping was more than the item. It was ridiculous. I guess Ebay only offers Bougie shipping options, lol.

Meeotch

Reaction score
A few things:

The lower tax threshold for 1099 reporting was delayed again this year.

Even if you break through the threshold this year or are concerned about future years, you don't owe taxes on shit unless you made a profit on the sale. So keep receipts!

I've sold about $8k in gear this fall and have found the forums to be mostly worthless. Everything has sold on Reverb at higher prices to cover the fees. There is the risk of some rando trying to return shit with buyer's remorse but generally the odds are good.

As mentioned, use Pirate Ship and you'll never look back.

Jon Pearson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
A few things:

The lower tax threshold for 1099 reporting was delayed again this year.

Even if you break through the threshold this year or are concerned about future years, you don't owe taxes on shit unless you made a profit on the sale. So keep receipts!

I've sold about $8k in gear this fall and have found the forums to be mostly worthless. Everything has sold on Reverb at higher prices to cover the fees. There is the risk of some rando trying to return shit with buyer's remorse but generally the odds are good.

As mentioned, use Pirate Ship and you'll never look back.

Agree. I've had a handful of bad transactions on Reverb out of a lot of really good experiences. Had a guy hustling me for a partial refund a month after sale over the lack of a COA when I didn't advertise one and he never asked beforehand - told him he could return it for a full refund if he wasn't happy, that ended that quickly.

Alternatively, the amount of tire-kickers on FB Marketplace, CList and forums is aggravating, and things will sit forever and you still don't do any better on sales price.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
I've actually had my best luck over the years going to pawn shops. Stuff that "looks" nice or is obviously worth money they're going to want top dollar for, but they're a reliable source of affordable sleepers because they don't have the time to deep-dive on crusty old gear. A few months back I took home an ugly Crate 2x15 for $80 that turned out to be loaded with Eminence Deltas, that was a fun surprise.

Now, of course, you're not very likely to find exactly what you're looking for, but that's part of the fun. I didn't leave the house looking for a 2x15 that day, and yet....

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
I've actually had my best luck over the years going to pawn shops. Stuff that "looks" nice or is obviously worth money they're going to want top dollar for, but they're a reliable source of affordable sleepers because they don't have the time to deep-dive on crusty old gear. A few months back I took home an ugly Crate 2x15 for $80 that turned out to be loaded with Eminence Deltas, that was a fun surprise.

Now, of course, you're not very likely to find exactly what you're looking for, but that's part of the fun. I didn't leave the house looking for a 2x15 that day, and yet....

Truth. Last year I bought an Edwards MIJ Eclipse for $200 from a local pawn shop. Owner thought it was a POS LTD copy. Sold it for much, much more. It was like an E-II EC.

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score

I once walked out of a pawn shop with a MIK Alleykat for $80 that was disgusting, missing a tuner, and had the bridge and tailpiece held on by a string through the middle into one of the remaining tuners. I took it home, cleaned it, soaked all the metal in vinegar and did my best on the pickup covers and ended up with the best playing Epiphone I've ever had my hands on. Rocked that guitar for years when I was sell-plasma-broke in college.