Victory VX Kraken MKII

• Thread starter lattjeful
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

complex-barb.0t

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Wait to try it before being disheartened by some random dude on the internet. I run CH1 boosted with a Blackstar Dept.10 boost for leads and the tone is just unreal. CH2 is a bit too light on the low end to my taste, but still sounds great.
The tube preamp right @USMarine75 ? Yeah, I think the preamp will give you 99% of the tone of the amp if you are running it into a good power amp. If you are running this direct it MUST have a power amp sim applied or it will sound a bit weak.

Let me provide a bit more detail for why I was not getting along with the Kraken V4 preamp. I think the tone on both channels is good, but it's frigging huge on a pedal board. Also by it's very nature it's harder to power. Most pedal power supplies can't give enough juice. Also I do feel that having a boost on channel 1 is essential. Channel 2 of course needs no boost. I think loving or disliking the pedal largely will come down to your setup. Eventually I A:B it with my Fleshrot 2 and decided I would run a IR-X and the Fleshrot in the space the Kraken preamp took up.

I am considering hooking the Kraken up with the 4CM to my JR Orange #4. That way it can be a mini 3 channel amp.

Tl;dr - the kraken v4 preamp, especially at the blow out price is a pretty great way to get that tone without having to spend the money on the full amp. It's by no means bad, but people will have different preferences. Mine change daily on it. The V2 regular pedal sized Kraken is by far the weakest in the lineup. I would avoid that one.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mikah912

Reaction score
Com

Comparison videos don't do well. They're way too specific in an already niche audience, unfortunately.

Respectfully, Kyle, I'm going to disagree on just this one particular one, as I think a lot of people are still trying to figure what exactly to compare the Kraken's type of gain to - 5150? 5153? Soldano? Not that it needs to be the all of the video. Perhaps just a 2-minute A/B chapter for reference?

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
The tube preamp right @USMarine75 ? Yeah, I think the preamp will give you 99% of the tone of the amp if you are running it into a good power amp. If you are running this direct it MUST have a power amp sim applied or it will sound a bit weak.

Let me provide a bit more detail for why I was not getting along with the Kraken V4 preamp. I think the tone on both channels is good, but it's frigging huge on a pedal board. Also by it's very nature it's harder to power. Most pedal power supplies can't give enough juice. Also I do feel that having a boost on channel 1 is essential. Channel 2 of course needs no boost. I think loving or disliking the pedal largely will come down to your setup.

All valid points. And to elaborate a bit further:

- Proper-voltage tube pedals are always going to be difficult to power up with a regular power supply, so that isn't specific to the Kraken. I use an Anasounds K+, but if you have a Cioks PSU you can (should) get the Crux add-on.

- It's huge because it's entirely built with quality through-hole components (instead of SMC) and has 4 tubes on it. Not much to do there without sacrificing something.

- Every preamp with no poweramp simulation it's going to sound weak direct.

- Boost on CH1 is issential only if you want it to do what it's not intended to. It sounds freaking good boosted for leads, though.

- But yes, all your points is what make me GAS for the Friedman IR-X, as it pretty much fixes all of them.

Respectfully, Kyle, I'm going to disagree on just this one particular one, as I think a lot of people are still trying to figure what exactly to compare the Kraken's type of gain to - 5150? 5153? Soldano? Not that it needs to be the all of the video. Perhaps just a 2-minute A/B chapter for reference?

CH1 is based off a JCM 900. CH2 is based off a 5150+. Neither channel sounds like them to me anyway, specially CH1 (which sounds miles better than a JCM 900). CH1 reminds me a lot to the green lead (hot rodded JCM800) mode of the Marshall JVM, with a bit more beef to it.

Last edited:

complex-barb.0t

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

- Proper-voltage tube pedals are always going to be difficult to power up with a regular power supply, so that isn't specific to the Kraken. I use an Anasounds K+, but if you have a Cioks PSU you can (should) get the Crux add-on.

- It's huge because it's entirely built with quality through-hole components (instead of SMC) and has 4 tubes on it. Not much to do there without sacrificing something.

- Boost on CH1 is issential only if you want it to do what it's not intended to. It sounds freaking good boosted for leads, though.

- But yes, all your points is what make me GAS for the Friedman IR-X, as it pretty much fixes all of them.

CH1 is based off a JCM 900. CH2 is based off a 5150+. Neither channel sounds like them to me anyway, specially CH1 (which sounds miles better than a JCM 900). CH1 reminds me a lot to the green lead (hot rodded JCM800) mode of the Marshall JVM, with a bit more beef to it.
Hey thanks for mentioning the Cioks Crux, I had no idea that existed. If I decide to cram the Kraken back onto my board perhaps I will use that. Victory should (and maybe already is) release a updated version of this pedal to compete with the IR-X. Onboard power amp sim and IR. The IR-X is cool, but the 2nd channel is kinda "honky" sounding. Need to see if I can tune that out. It's so flexible that I am willing to deal with it not being my ideal tone. Channel 1 takes pedals very well. Love the idea I can hook my current board up to a power amp + cab, or go direct/FRFR.

Also back on topic, who the heck would ever use a clean channel on the Kraken amp? It's nice that they added it, but I am guessing that will be a lesser used feature for sure. I didn't notice any YT channels try it as a pedal platform.

LeftOurEyes

Reaction score
Also back on topic, who the heck would ever use a clean channel on the Kraken amp? It's nice that they added it, but I am guessing that will be a lesser used feature for sure. I didn't notice any YT channels try it as a pedal platform.

I don't have a Kraken but I do use clean channels on amps and view them as a pretty important feature for me. I use the gain channels a lot more but I love some good clean tones with a few good fx too. I know a lot of/most metal players seem fine with only a gain channel but I'm not one of them. My favorite band is Deftones though so I wouldn't exactly say I'm a metal player.

BadSeed

Reaction score
It's been said by Rabea on numerous occasions that when designing the amp, he wanted channel 2 to be a Peavey 5150 style high gain channel, as that's what he used at the time. I've seen people quote this whenever talking about the Kraken as well, basically calling it a mini 5150 over the years. I don't think many people are confused on what the voicing of the amp is comparable to, respectfully.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score

Most people in the metal crowd like versatility, which is why the EVH 5150 III was a huge success. Even though I agree the clean channel usually is the less important, most people need it.

The lack of a clean channel in the Kraken V4 forced me to use an extra loop to use my amp's clean channel. That means two more cables and more hassle, so yeah a dedicated celan channel never hurts.

BadSeed

Reaction score
Got the amp in and played it extensively today.
I can honestly say for my personal taste, huge improvement over mk1. The mids are smoothed out a bit, and so is the modern "quack" of the higher notes that I hated about the first one. The presence still isn't quite where I like it (5150 sizzle) but it's definitely miles better than the first version, and overall I find this one much more pleasant and familiar sounding to my ears. It is still a noisey beast, though, and feeds back very easily, especially when boosting.

Gain 1 is honestly the high point of the amp for me. Low-mid gain tones, boosted and unboosted, sound incredible on this channel. I'm a massive fan of this for non belligerence, and honestly, I would consider buying the amp if I found a good deal for this channel alone. It's that good, and I don't even normally play that stuff all that often.

My video will be up tomorrow, and yes, I did a short comparison between the MKI and MKII in the video

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score

So I’m not sure if it’s broken but…. How did you connect it for use as a preamp into an FX return? The only way I got it to work is the effect out to the amp input.

I did see a 4 cable method for use with FX where you connect kraken through to amp input and loop in to FX send? (Then loop out and input to connect a FX unit via its FX send and return)

Also, the power plug doesn’t fit all the way into the back of the pedal on mine?

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
So I’m not sure if it’s broken but…. How did you connect it for use as a preamp into an FX return? The only way I got it to work is the effect out to the amp input.

I did see a 4 cable method for use with FX where you connect kraken through to amp input and loop in to FX send? (Then loop out and input to connect a FX unit via its FX send and return)

Also, the power plug doesn’t fit all the way into the back of the pedal on mine?

I hope you don't find this offensive. He explains it way better than I could :lol:

I guess effect out into amp return should work, but I've always used the through mode so I'm not sure. About the PSU, no idea. I bought mine used and came with a Diezel preamp PSU.

Last edited:

complex-barb.0t

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I hope you don't find this offensive. He explains it way better than I could :lol:

I guess effect out into amp return should work, but I've always used the through mode so I'm not sure. About the PSU, no idea. I bought mine used and came with a Diezel preamp PSU.

I have the stock PSU, it indeed does not go 100% in, but works fine otherwise. The barrel is a bit longer than the depth of the jack.

USMarine75

Contributor
Reaction score

Not offended. The manual doesn’t have any info and while the directions on the back of the preamp seem like they should work they didnt for me.

And every youtuber says it works better into the FX return better than as a drive pedal into the front end, yet they all demo into oxbox or some other similar DI / IR config.

USMarine75

Contributor
Reaction score
I had the send and return reversed. It’s a 50w 112 combo and the fx jacks are up inside under the top chassis, so you can’t see them. Oops.

Anyways I think it sounds pretty damn good. If nothing else there’s obviously no way anyone hears it and thinks it “sounds like a pedal” lol.

complex-barb.0t

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I had the send and return reversed. It’s a 50w 112 combo and the fx jacks are up inside under the top chassis, so you can’t see them. Oops.

Anyways I think it sounds pretty damn good. If nothing else there’s obviously no way anyone hears it and thinks it “sounds like a pedal” lol.
For sure. It has that sorta spungy type of distortion you only get with real tubes. There are very few things like it on the market.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Good on them for hearing the feedback and updating it

MTG-ThreadNecromancer_3198.jpg

complex-barb.0t

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
What’s funny is after bagging on this amp I find myself wanting one after hearing a bunch of Lambchopper videos on it. I’ll have to check out the SDS vid.

Concerto412

Aeternae Sonus
Reaction score
What’s funny is after bagging on this amp I find myself wanting one after hearing a bunch of Lambchopper videos on it. I’ll have to check out the SDS vid.
The voicing definitely sounds like they’ve reined in the peaky high-mids, still not sure I would take this over other 5150 variants.

Also, I don’t know who or what Lambchopper is, but for every death metal group born in the 90’s with a sense of humour, that name was right there.

And now, a grindcore rendition of ‘the song that never ends’ has spontaneously popped into my subconscious… so much for Friday.

I’ll see myself out.

Latest posts