Video: tracking 7-string groove metal + Axe-FX (Red Seas Fire content)

• Thread starter -Nolly-
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
This clip just got me super interested in that Bare Knuckle Nailbomb. I haven't played a passive pickup in.... god, probably 7 years. But your tone in this video was fucking sick, though I realize alot of it was from the Axe-FX, i mean just the general tone of the guitar itself was awesome. How would you compare the Nailbomb to say, an EMG 81-7? Can it do more than just the super tight "djent"y sound?

the Painkiller i put in my 8 string nailed the "super badass tight metal tone", and i'm a fan of the EMG 81 for metal stuff myself, so i guess that says something. it's basically trying to achieve the same type of thing as the emg 81, but it's voicing is different.

to my ears, the 81 has a really tight low end, but not that much of it, so it stays tight. the midrange has a slight boost, but it's in a large area, and it doesn't need more boosting because the lows are lower already. then it has a little more treble and high mids, and finally a whole bunch of presence. the overall effect is that it ends up sounding more boosted, and is more "ready" for the amp.

the painkiller has a tight low end, but not as little of it as the emg 81. then there's a teeny scoop in the low mids, and a large boost in the general high mids area. this is where it's aggressive sound comes from. then, to avoid shrillness and scrapy sounds, it has a smooth high end. it's got a whole lot more dynamics than an emg 81, and the output isn't as "punch the amp in the face", because it wants you to turn the gain up to meet it instead of it sacrificing it's rawness and dynamics to meet the lower gain. it soudns fatter and more growly than the emg 81, for sure.

that's the only BKP i have first hand experience with, and i've owned the emg 81 before too, running it through the same rig in the same tunings. i think it would be best served in a 7 string in a drop tuning, like you guys, as it really sounded mean as hell for that stuff.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AlexWadeWC

Reaction score
the Painkiller i put in my 8 string nailed the "super badass tight metal tone", and i'm a fan of the EMG 81 for metal stuff myself, so i guess that says something. it's basically trying to achieve the same type of thing as the emg 81, but it's voicing is different.

to my ears, the 81 has a really tight low end, but not that much of it, so it stays tight. the midrange has a slight boost, but it's in a large area, and it doesn't need more boosting because the lows are lower already. then it has a little more treble and high mids, and finally a whole bunch of presence. the overall effect is that it ends up sounding more boosted, and is more "ready" for the amp.

the painkiller has a tight low end, but not as little of it as the emg 81. then there's a teeny scoop in the low mids, and a large boost in the general high mids area. this is where it's aggressive sound comes from. then, to avoid shrillness and scrapy sounds, it has a smooth high end. it's got a whole lot more dynamics than an emg 81, and the output isn't as "punch the amp in the face", because it wants you to turn the gain up to meet it instead of it sacrificing it's rawness and dynamics to meet the lower gain. it soudns fatter and more growly than the emg 81, for sure.

that's the only BKP i have first hand experience with, and i've owned the emg 81 before too, running it through the same rig in the same tunings. i think it would be best served in a 7 string in a drop tuning, like you guys, as it really sounded mean as hell for that stuff.

Awesome review, thanks so much man!

-Nolly-

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments guys!
Very accurate description of the Painkiller too, MF.

drmosh

Sir Paul of the Mosh
Contributor
Reaction score
seee... basswood aint bad.. in the hands of Nolly and crew

basswood is never bad per se, just lots of people unhappy with their tone blaming their cheap guitars, which happen to be made of basswood.
And 99% of people here would not be able to tell which wood is which in a double blind test anyway

Coryd

Reaction score
Cool vid Nolly! Love them Redwirez IRs!!! The music is sounding awesome too by the way!!!

Do you ever blend any of their IRs, or do you just use single IRs?

-Nolly-

Reaction score
basswood is never bad per se, just lots of people unhappy with their tone blaming their cheap guitars, which happen to be made of basswood.
And 99% of people here would not be able to tell which wood is which in a double blind test anyway

Very true. Besides there are far more factors to consider than just the broad species of wood - the density, cross-section used, grain structure, joinery, finish etc etc. Additionally great wood will never make up for poor construction.

Cool vid Nolly! Love them Redwirez IRs!!! The music is sounding awesome too by the way!!!

Do you ever blend any of their IRs, or do you just use single IRs?

Cheers! I haven't had as much success blending the Redwire IRs as just using a single cab. I quite often use blend the stock axe-fx cab models though.

JoshuaLogan

Banned
Reaction score
Hey, Nolly. Have you tried the Catharsis IRs? s-preshigh or any of the others? I haven't been able to get any high gain stuff out of impulses I truly love, but that s-preshigh was my favorite of all of I've tried. I haven't tried the Redwirez IRs... just wondering what you think of their Mesa IRs vs the catharsis IRs if you've tried them...

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I dig the rhythms man, good stuff Nollz :)

7 Strings of Hate

Mid-Level Asshole
Contributor
Reaction score

Dito, i'm comming off over 10 years of using actives, and the painkiller is pretty damn comparable

-Nolly-

Reaction score
Awesome, thanks for the comments guys! As Pete says, we'll try and do more soon.

Hey, Nolly. Have you tried the Catharsis IRs? s-preshigh or any of the others? I haven't been able to get any high gain stuff out of impulses I truly love, but that s-preshigh was my favorite of all of I've tried. I haven't tried the Redwirez IRs... just wondering what you think of their Mesa IRs vs the catharsis IRs if you've tried them...

I haven't tried either of the two you mentioned, but I've got Recabinet and hundreds of free ones (Brohymn etc). The thing I particularly like about the Redwires is that they don't have any power amp colouration, so I can use them interchangeably with the stock IRs, and still maintain control over the power amp parameters which I use a lot to shape the tones. I'd recommend trying the Redwire Mesa IRs at least.