Views on Synergy. Premium brand?

SkullCrusher

Reaction score
Hi guys

Looking for some up to date views on the synergy stuff... how does it compare to the premium brands on the market? Mesa, orange, diezel... quality, sounds, reliability.
(I hear the parts are made in China and only assembled in the USA, not sure the reliability of that source).

If I was to invest it would be on a Syn50 with Deliverance and SLO modules.

But for the same price I could get a new Soldano SLO30.

Opinions welcomed and appreciated!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KnightBrolaire

Say yes to Chugs
Reaction score
They sound great provided you use them with good poweramps (shouldn't be an issue if you're buying the SYN head). I own both the deliverance and SLO modules and I really like them. The SLO module sounds massssive with proper big iron behind it.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Do you need complete amp diversity or will the range of one amp do the job?

SkullCrusher

Reaction score

not massive amp diversity. Just decent rock/metal/bluesy driven cleans.
Not sure if some separate amps would be a better decision?

I do like the idea of modules though.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
I personally find the SYN50 to be the most reasonably priced product they make. It's 500€ cheaper than buying the SYN-2 and the SYN50-50. For around 2k you have an amp head with 4 channels of your choice, that you can change whenever you want.

Now it's up to you to decide if you need all those channels or you can get away with a conventional amp for the sounds you're after.

Last edited:

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
I personally find the SYN50 to be the most reasonably priced product they make. It's 500€ cheaper than buying the SYN-2 and the SYN50-50. For around 2k you have an amp head with 4 channels of your choice, that you can change whenever you want.

Now it's up to you to decide if you need all those channels or you can get away with a conventional amp for the sounds you're after.

I wish the 50 came with the 30s extra chabnel

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
I wish they would just make a 100w head variant. I'd sell my MTS head/syn1 and grab that.

I also want a syn4. Bruce has been promising a 4 slot dual channel for like 10 years. Whoops my bad

the m4 exists. He was promising the m2

Ok so there was an m4. Where’s the syn4. I wants it.

laxu

Reaction score

I think this is a great way to put it. In here you can just change the preamps to your liking but the poweramp stays the same.

I don't know if you can run the SYN-2 into two different poweramps but that would be more versatile than running into one poweramp. Let's say you have for example a more vintage voiced poweramp for your "Marshall" and "Fender" modules and a more modern voiced one for your "SLO" and "Deliverance" modules. That sort of thing.

I am still offended by the SYN-2 pricing. It's nearly 900 euros without modules. Then you still need a poweramp for it. So at about 1700 euros (SYN2 and two modules) you only have a four channel preamp.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
I think this is a great way to put it. In here you can just change the preamps to your liking but the poweramp stays the same.

I don't know if you can run the SYN-2 into two different poweramps but that would be more versatile than running into one poweramp. Let's say you have for example a more vintage voiced poweramp for your "Marshall" and "Fender" modules and a more modern voiced one for your "SLO" and "Deliverance" modules. That sort of thing.

I am still offended by the SYN-2 pricing. It's nearly 900 euros without modules. Then you still need a poweramp for it. So at about 1700 euros (SYN2 and two modules) you only have a four channel preamp.

Yes, and considering that older preamps usually have 2-3 channels I don't really see the appeal. That's why I said the SYN50 is the best priced product they have. It has one less preamp tube but I don't think that matters much. I'm guessing they're the input, PI and FX loop driver tubes.

I'd love to have a Synergy rack rig for the studio, but as you pointed out the price is a bit steep. Specially considering they're not cheap used either. I could score a Triaxis, an Engl E580 and a VHT GP3 for around 2k. The footprint would definetely be bigger, though.

Last edited:

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
you guys keep comparing new gear to old gear. New gear is always going to lose out price wise.

people are always weird when pricing out rack gear.

a syn2
A syn5050
And 2 modules is a complete amp.
Throw in 200 for a head shell to make it look like an amp head.

that’s pretty competitive with any other 100 watt boutique head.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
you guys keep comparing new gear to old gear. New gear is always going to lose out price wise.

people are always weird when pricing out rack gear.

a syn2
A syn5050
And 2 modules is a complete amp.
Throw in 200 for a head shell to make it look like an amp head.

that’s pretty competitive with any other 100 watt boutique head.

Because why buy expensive new gear when awesome old gear is at hand cheaper?

You can also get a brand new engl e570 which is a 4 channel rack preamp for a tiny bit more than an empty Syn-2 (Or a Syn-1 with an engl module). Exact same thing can be said about a Fryette GP/DI vs. Syn-1 + module, etc. You don't need to focus only on used prices. It kinda makes more sense when using modules based on super expensive amps.

The SYN50, however, seems very reasonably priced.

Last edited:

SkullCrusher

Reaction score
Thanks guys really appreciate the feedback.

Can anyone comment on the quality of the product? Will it stand the test of time?

cheers !

Elric

Reaction score
I own a complete Syn Rack rig. I started building it out early this year, so have had it for a number of months... I don’t think I am in the honeymoon phase still; but take that for what it’s worth. :)

It is probably my fave rig of all time to date (old enough to not remember when I started with guitar... something like 35 years, I think). All the components appear to be of really high quality, and I consider their Synergy branded stuff to be ‘premium’ gear. The rig is a Syn2, 5050, and Axe FX II. I have probably seven or so modules.

I think the key with the Syn gear is you have to look at it as a premium build your own Custom rig/tones kit. If you want an SLO or VH4 or Uberschall specifically; I would buy that amp rather than try to piece one together Around the module of the same name. If that is what you are looking to do, it will be a disappointment. It is a super high quality modular system.

BAD’s (Boutique Amp Distribution; they also build Friedman, Soldano, a bunch of high end stuff) support has been really great so far and I feel like everything is well built and likely to last. A modular system may have some wear and tear by nature but it has all been really robust for me, and the flexibility is just next level.