Vik goes Blackmachine?

• Thread starter JoeyW
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JoeyW

Reaction score
So I was lurkin' the old Facebook today and I saw that Vik posted he's no longer taking orders, I’d be fairly bummed if he decides to go the Blackmachine route and stops taking orders. If he does I bet the value of his guitars are gonna sky rocket.

Discuss?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

InfinityCollision

Reaction score
Last I heard Vik's wait time was floating around the three year mark, and he's taken on a group buy since then and probably some custom orders too. I think he's just trying to keep his wait list at a remotely manageable level, so his wait list will likely open again once he's worked his way through some of the current orders.

crg123

SS.orgLocalArchitect
Reaction score
I'd rather him do that then go the Rico route and become overwhelmed. I'll note I've never played one of his instruments, but from photos and video's they seem like works of art. I'd rather it stay that way.

cg138

Reaction score
Jumping to conclusions in it's finest form..

Think before saying some of the things you say, "Vik goes Blackmachine" sounds like a tabloid headliner.

blanco

Reaction score
It's better he stops taking orders than rushes them, has a huge waiting list or just ends up going down the bernie rico/invictus path. Just look at whats gone/going on with some luthiers at the moment who can't handle the amount of work their getting.

canuck brian

Bowes Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
The guy has a backlog and wants to get things done before taking on more orders. It's called good business practices.

thrsher

\m/-_-\m/
Reaction score
yeah, i put a deposit in july 20th 2011 just right before/start of the craze. i was quoted 4-5 months in queue, waited 8 months for the build to start and im probably still another 3-6 before i will see my guitar. it was a good move on his part.

Kiwimetal101

'Tread Lightly'
Reaction score
Blackmachine is a fuck load better than BRJ mate.

But seriously vik's doing the right thing here getting his waiting list down, the dude actually knows how to run his business. Plus he does top quality and consistant builds, the buyers will still be around in 3 years.

leonardo7

Banned
Reaction score
The only similarities between Vik and Blackmachine is that they are both kick ass handmade guitars made by a one man show, and that at the current state they are both not taking on any new orders. Now the differences are that Vik will continue to take on more orders after some time has past. Making guitars is what he does full time whereas Blackmachine has another job and does other things with his time other than making guitars. Two different reasons for building guitars and two different reasons for currently not taking orders.

Wouldn't you rather pay your deposit in a year from now and wait two years from that point as opposed to paying your deposit now and waiting three years? Either way its going to be a three year wait if you dont already have a build in with him. Better to not have to pay the deposit now. Good on him for not taking orders. Hes a smart man.

Speculum Speculorum

Reaction score
What?! What you say?!!! A reasonable business man who knows the limitations of quality vs. quantity?

It must be a European thing, that common sense.

AngstRiddenDreams

Filthy Casual
Reaction score
I can see *strandberg doing something similar to this soon. Beings he has so many guitars on order. Maybe I'm thinking of the Boden S7G's though, but I remember seeing a list of hundred's of guitars waiting to be built with *strandberg on 'em. :lol:
Sorry for the OT. As everyone else in this thread has said, I don't find this comparable to Blackmachine at all. Imagine you were in a restaurant that was completely PACKED full of people, would you rather the waiter reject your order, or take it and wait til the next afternoon to get your food? :shrug:

I personally think this is a great move and many small builders need to look at this example. If Bernie Rico Jr. would have done something like this after the BFR guitars, maybe he could have saved his reputation and produced quality instruments.
:yesway: Good job Vik.

leonardo7

Banned
Reaction score
I can see *strandberg doing something similar to this soon. Beings he has so many guitars on order. Maybe I'm thinking of the Boden S7G's though, but I remember seeing a list of hundred's of guitars waiting to be built with *strandberg on 'em. :lol:
Sorry for the OT. As everyone else in this thread has said, I don't find this comparable to Blackmachine at all. Imagine you were in a restaurant that was completely PACKED full of people, would you rather the waiter reject your order, or take it and wait til the next afternoon to get your food? :shrug:

I personally think this is a great move and many small builders need to look at this example. If Bernie Rico Jr. would have done something like this after the BFR guitars, maybe he could have saved his reputation and produced quality instruments.
:yesway: Good job Vik.

Actually Strandberg currently has a list of like under 10 guitars on order. Strandberg limits himself to like 5-10 guitars at a time. The list you are thinking of is not a list of guitars waiting to be built. Only the first 10 or so people on that list have actually placed the order, everyone else is waiting.