Warpig or aftermath?

• Thread starter titan amps
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

titan amps

Reaction score
i've got an ESP NT7 on the way, and i'm trying to decide which pup to try first.

anybody have any experience with both of these?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
^ +1. Personally the Warpigs were much more up my alley, and they sounded monstrous. They will be the first thing I do to the next guitar I get (had to sell mine :( )

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
Both sets of pickups are aggressive, although it depends on where you want that focus. In my experience the Warpig is much more low/low-mid focused and the Aftermath seem more on the high-mid/high focused range. The warpig would go well in a bright guitar to help tame some of the highs, but if the guitar already sounds dark to begin with I wouldn't suggest the warpig. :2c:

Greatoliver

Looking to windward
Reaction score
Both sets of pickups are aggressive, although it depends on where you want that focus. In my experience the Warpig is much more low/low-mid focused and the Aftermath seem more on the high-mid/high focused range. The warpig would go well in a bright guitar to help tame some of the highs, but if the guitar already sounds dark to begin with I wouldn't suggest the warpig. :2c:

Nailed it. Both are quite versatile, and are able to go from scooped death metal, to tight prog metal, but the real difference is in the voicings, for sure.

I've got a calibrated set, and I first had them in an S7320 (mahogany) and moved them over to an RG7620 (basswood), and the difference was pretty big. They had more clarity, and it gave some warmth and depth to the guitar. I think the BKP website recommends them for bright guitar, like bolt ons.

The ESP is neck through, but has an alder body, so I am guessing it is kind of bright, but not that bright? It seems like either would go ok in it, I'm not sure about alder tho :scratch:

Guamskyy

Hwat you call me?
Reaction score
I think my agile 8 would fair well with a warpig, it's a maple neck-through with a maple fretboard with mahogany wings. Could I be wrong, because my 6260 is voiced pretty dark and putting a dark pickup and dark amp together could be chaotic.

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score

While in theory this is true, I will say that the Warpig (Ceramic) actually had a lot more high-mid grind than I expected too, and a real sizzle on the top end. That said, however, the lows were almost uncontrollable and (compared to the SD Blackout my settings were geared for) I had to halve my bass settings...

It's a monstrous pickup though, that's for sure :yesway:

DILFalmighty

Reaction score
i defiantly agree on the sizzle of the warpig, its a characteristic you wont be able to really get out of the tone without drastically coloring it if your not really looking for that

titan amps

Reaction score
I figured the aftermaths in the ESP might be too bright since it's a maple neck through with alder wings. Hopefully the guitar will be here soon...damn tsunami/meltdowns are delaying shipments, evidently. :mad:

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
I bet the Miracle Man might be a good choice too. I'm putting those in my Loomis soon enough on suggestion by Nick, as Swamp Ash and Maple are a very bright combo.

titan amps

Reaction score
The EQ curve of the MM is way too scooped for my taste. That said, it might be balanced by the alder/maple combination.

Latest posts