What’s next for next-gen ERG pups?

• Thread starter BananaDemocracy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BananaDemocracy

8 String Impaler
Reaction score
with so many choices in current pups(active, passive, all the configurations and metals) , and with so many incredible choices for analog amplification(Mesa, Marshall), SS amps(peavey), hybrids(orange), modelers with fx (kemper), FX with modelers (axe ), and all the luthiery techniques (traditional, chambered) it’s soo hard to imagine something else or new sweeping change into pickups or sound for me

One thing that I wonder is what can be something we see new?

Does anyone remember a pickups brand called q-tuners ? They had something cool

Also, Lace has some really special and unique pickups but I haven’t seen a lot of mention here, altho I been reading archives where Lace was popular here almost a decade or so ago ...very

But what else can we expect to get froM pups with modelers and software changing the landscape more than analog hardware??

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
cycfi is the future. modular design, super wide band sound, customizable eq (you can even profile other pickup eqs and use them).

Bearitone

Reaction score
cycfi is the future. modular design, super wide band sound, customizable eq (you can even profile other pickup eqs and use them).

Just looked these up and they sound nuts. Each little module hasn’t it’s own preamp that you can tweak anyway you like ( EQ, compression, etc)

If my line of thinking is correct that means you could basically emulate a different pickup for each string. Crazy shit

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Yeah all hifi stuff like Lace and QTuner is good for more versatility, being able to voice other pickups by dialing off the treble and adding a resonance peak. Cycfi is the apex of this with their completely flat sound. Their old sets used to ship with a resonance control for exactly that purpose. There are some demos in their blog somewhere of it being swept to model various sounds.
I think this approach in general will be useful, especially if it were able to be controlled by a modeller. You can of course set it up manually so the modeller has an EQ (or better, pickup modelling impulse) out front, but it would be more desirable to the end user if it was included in the guitar-end of the chain, I expect.
That said I don't personally expect any of this to catch on with any popularity.
But Cycfi is indeed the future, for those that wish to go there :) They have chosen to narrow their business and focus on the single-string modules entirely now, which is even more of a niche audience ofcourse, but so much potential. Indeed, you can run different eq curves, effects, amps, or indeed pickup models for each string.
One use of such technology that could be really good built into a guitar in a pickup that otherwise appears normal, is using the single string EQ to correct the bottom end of extended range guitars.

BananaDemocracy

8 String Impaler
Reaction score
Very interesting

Ive still yet someone who’s actually owned or played a qtuner2...i was dying to “hear’ metal through them because Lace X Bars/alumni tones are really like the passive EMG 81/85 set, better actually, just as clear with the right amount of power (meaning not OVER bearing)....which you might want or need sometimes with actives

But this CYFCI is insane!

Now i wonder, what’s the most important part in a signal chain of your sound/rig?
Amp? Cab/Speakers?Guitar/woods/pickups? Modeler/Preamp ?

I’m so confused with the future now more than before my question! Thanks dude! Lol

BananaDemocracy

8 String Impaler
Reaction score
Very true with MEsa bands especially i beleive

After speakers, then what? Amp? pre amp that is, or pickups ?

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah all hifi stuff like Lace and QTuner is good for more versatility, being able to voice other pickups by dialing off the treble and adding a resonance peak. Cycfi is the apex of this with their completely flat sound. Their old sets used to ship with a resonance control for exactly that purpose. There are some demos in their blog somewhere of it being swept to model various sounds.
I think this approach in general will be useful, especially if it were able to be controlled by a modeller. You can of course set it up manually so the modeller has an EQ (or better, pickup modelling impulse) out front, but it would be more desirable to the end user if it was included in the guitar-end of the chain, I expect.
That said I don't personally expect any of this to catch on with any popularity.
But Cycfi is indeed the future, for those that wish to go there :) They have chosen to narrow their business and focus on the single-string modules entirely now, which is even more of a niche audience ofcourse, but so much potential. Indeed, you can run different eq curves, effects, amps, or indeed pickup models for each string.
One use of such technology that could be really good built into a guitar in a pickup that otherwise appears normal, is using the single string EQ to correct the bottom end of extended range guitars.

Can't wait to buy the VST version of a Kemper profile for this pickup and run it through my Axe Fx IV straight to my audio interface :yesway: