What amp to use for 7 string.

Nonnicus

Reaction score
I have recently bought a schecter SGR c-7. (I know it isnt the best 7 string out there, only got it to learn the ways of the 7 string) But is there like a specific thing an amp needs or can i just plug it in to my MG30CFX and rock out. If not what do you recommend? (prefferably in the 3-500$ range). Any tips for 7 strings too? It will help alot to expand my knowledge.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

stevexc

Reaction score
Any guitar amp will work. Whether or not the amp's tone will be suitable for the kind of music you want to play with the 7-string is another, highly subjective, question.

But yes, your Marshall will function just fine with a 7-string.

Shimme

Wants a Seven String
Reaction score
Any amp will work, but you might be amazed at how much more you like the sound of aomething something besides that Marshal MG. What styles do you tend to play?

7stg

Reaction score
With 7 strings B1 at 61.735Hz you can still get away with a regular 12 inch guitar speaker, but there are better alternatives Quest for Tone - Amplifying Extended Range Guitars.

For home use I like studio monitors, 7" monitors with a sub will cover the most ground and work with the most instruments. I recommend the Adam F7 Adam SubF or Yamaha HS7 Yamaha HS8S sub. To stay within budget by the monitors first then add the sub later.

Gigging and band practice.
I like FRFR cabs with good mids and treble, 3 Way Bass Cabs and PA speakers work well.

Promit

Reaction score
The MG will do as well with the 7 string as it does with anything else. Which is to say, you should be saving for a real amp instead of it.

teamSKDM

Reaction score
honestly man, any amp will be a decent upgrade from that. a randall rh200 with a good overdrive pedal and noise gate is my vote if you wanna keep it under 500. ive seen the rh200 go as low as 100 bucks, dpending on how long the person has owned it for. usually original owners will let them go cheap to make space on craigslist.

Nonnicus

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. I will use my nice little MG amp for now but from what i can see is my amp is kinda cheap and stupid xD but yeah. Thanks for the awesome replies and i hope my MG amp isnt that bad cause i really cant buy a new amp until i DESPERATELY need one.

cGoEcYk

Reaction score
You'll be fine! Just plug in and rock.

If your needs change over time (like you need something bigger to play with a band or find that there are certain tones you are dying to use, etc) there are tons of amps out there. Just hit up the "Gear and Equipment" section and the many experts will chime in.

My first amp was called the Gorilla 5 (the "5" signifying five watts). I used it for bass. It sucked ass. :lol:

401-Gorilla.jpg