What are stock tubes in an engl powerball?

snigloid

Reaction score
I'm searching the internet for the answer and getting mix results, I thought it was Sovtek but somebody told me JJ's. If someone could clear this up and also what tubes do you prefer yourself inside the head?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm searching the internet for the answer and getting mix results, I thought it was Sovtek but somebody told me JJ's. If someone could clear this up and also what tubes do you prefer yourself inside the head?

Dunno about the Powerball, but the stock tubes in my Fireball were Engl-branded. The power tubes didn't have any other markings, the preamp tubes were Sovteks.

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys, I wonder if there is a way to order engl tube sets? anybody ever try this?:hmmm:

Personally, I wouldn't bother, the Sovtek 12AX7WB's in mine were nothing special. Engl might upcharge just for their name on the tubes. :lol: I would(and did) drop in some =(C)= SED 6L6s, and get some Tungsol/Mullard reissue 12AX7s. :shrug:

snigloid

Reaction score
My main thing is I'm just don't want the tone to change so what tube brand would you use to do this, the main tubes I mean not the preamp tubes thanks for the info.

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
I prefer the Winged "C" (SED) 6L6GCs, as I said above, the Tung-Sol 6L6GC-STRs look nice as well.

Lots of people swear by JJ tubes.

Typically, unless you get a bad tube, a 6L6 is going to sound like a 6L6, amps like the Powerball and Fireball get 90% of their tone from the preamp voicing.

slayerrulesyo

Reaction score
JJ's all the way. Sovteks are alright....don't get the Electro-Harmonix 12ax7's though...even though they are the most durable...they suffer a little sound wise. or the winged c's....I've heard nothing but good from em.

I don't swear by JJ's...they're just my current favorite. :D