What are the most overhyped guitars?

• Thread starter nightlight
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
Things Gibson invented or popularised:
  • Pointy guitars
  • Self tuning guitars
  • Neck through guitars
  • Set neck solid body quitars
  • Humbuckers
  • P90s
  • Mini humbuckers
  • Tune o matic bridges
Things Gibson has also done but didn't catch on:
  • Built in effects
  • Digital interfaces
  • Hexaphonic pickups
  • Hot swappable pickups
  • The Alex Lifeson Axcess
  • Wood substitutes
I don't be this "not innovative" narrative. Maybe some innovations didn't catch on, but objectively the guitar industry hasn't moved much in the last 60 years and most other innovations are very niche.

The only popular innovation I can think of is the Floyd Rose.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ataraxia2320

Reaction score
Gibson do so much batshit stuff every year. I have to agree that people who think they never innovate are looking in the wrong places.

There are certainly a few "classic features" that kill a lot of Gibsons for me, but the trash talk their guitars get is no longer warranted imo.

As other users have said, its been a while since I played a shoddily made new Gibson.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
I suppose pickup switching systems have gotten more advanced and that's a fairly popular thing now. But let's just ignore the ES-355 and the Page LPC.

Oh, they also invented the semihollow electric. And they've been doing weight relief on LPs for decades. They've made 7 string versions of all their most popular shapes and even a 27" LP.

Gibson needs to bring back guitar of the month. I used to always look forward to it because they always had something cool and unique.

jayarpeggios

Reaction score
Headless. God they look ugly as fuck. Fanned fret too. How the hell do you fret a barre chord on the first fret?

You and I might be opposites. I avoided multiscale and headless guitars for a while, other than a rick toone I tried back in eh 2015 maybe (one of Tosin's, don't think it was Blur). But after getting two (with a third on the way) headless+multi guitars I don't think I want to go back to headed (ha) guitars or non-multi again. The two where a Boden 8 original, and a Prog 6 NT. After dozens and dozens of guitars over the years, these are the first two guitars I've truly and fully loved. The third on it's way is an Aristides headless 8, no idea if I will like it haven't played one yet.

bigswifty

Reaction score
You and I might be opposites. I avoided multiscale and headless guitars for a while, other than a rick toone I tried back in eh 2015 maybe (one of Tosin's, don't think it was Blur). But after getting two (with a third on the way) headless+multi guitars I don't think I want to go back to headed (ha) guitars or non-multi again. The two where a Boden 8 original, and a Prog 6 NT. After dozens and dozens of guitars over the years, these are the first two guitars I've truly and fully loved. The third on it's way is an Aristides headless 8, no idea if I will like it haven't played one yet.

Oh man.. I'm willing to bet you will LOVE the Tiddies 8! I absolutely love mine.