What are the thickest strings my ibanez 6 string will take?

• Thread starter Ed_Ibanez_Shred
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ed_Ibanez_Shred

Baritone sixes
Reaction score
I was thinking of going a little thicker with my strings (I normally use EB cobalt 12s) and I realised I don't actually know how thick my strings could potentially be. :scratch: Ie, would a .060+ 6th string even fit through the tuners? I usually use .050-.060 ish, but I've never gone thicker.

I wouldn't want to buy a thick set of strings and find that they don't even fit :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

hikizume976

Reaction score
I use .065 in my RG. It barely fits, but it works. been using it for years.

Once tried a .070 and it was a no go.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
There's also the limit of saddle travel when going super large/low.
In other words, it's hard to intonate huge strings on many six-string bridges without any modifications.

WiseSplinter

Reaction score
I've got a 74 on my 25.5 scale Carvin tuned to G#, it's quite tight and punchy, seems to work just fine.
Had to remove the spring from the saddle to intonate but other than that had no issues.
I don't think anything thicker could go through the tuner though, so that might be a limitation for you :2c:

DarthV

Reaction score
Which guitar and which bridge? I was using the not even slinkies for C standard in my rga121 and it was not easy pulling the .56 through the Gibraltar bridge :p Actually had to use the mechanical advantage of the tuner to do it.

Ed_Ibanez_Shred

Baritone sixes
Reaction score
Which guitar and which bridge? I was using the not even slinkies for C standard in my rga121 and it was not easy pulling the .56 through the Gibraltar bridge :p Actually had to use the mechanical advantage of the tuner to do it.

Its an RGA42... so it has a gibraltar bridge of some sort, but I've never had problems with .056 string

7stringDemon

Reaction score
Probably a .74 max. And you'll DEFINITELY have to widen your nut slots otherwise it'll play like shit, never stay in tune and possibly crack your nut.

rockskate4x

rockskate4x
Reaction score
With modifications, you can fit just about anything that would sound good at that scale. There is also tuning lower and using a lighter touch with the the strings you have. Born of Osiris use 10-59 for 25.5 7 strings in drop G, which is too f*cking light for me but it works. You could do the same thing with a set of 13's for six, which is essentially a set of 10's for 7 minus the highest string. 13-62 would work.
da_prod_exl158_main_1.jpg

Ed_Ibanez_Shred

Baritone sixes
Reaction score
With modifications, you can fit just about anything that would sound good at that scale. There is also tuning lower and using a lighter touch with the the strings you have. Born of Osiris use 10-59 for 25.5 7 strings in drop G, which is too f*cking light for me but it works. You could do the same thing with a set of 13's for six, which is essentially a set of 10's for 7 minus the highest string. 13-62 would work.
da_prod_exl158_main_1.jpg

These strings just came from amazon, good recommendation :hbang: They sound great in drop Ab, and they fit the guitar fine! thanks man :yesway:

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
^ Wow, so a set with a sensible (62) B string next to a 10 set actually exists!?? Typical that it's a 6 string set hahahah