What are you listening to?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
Lots of YOB lately. I had the privilege of seeing them on tour for Clearing the Path to Ascend. One of the best live bands I've ever seen. If you get the chance, don't sleep on it.

Wake and bake then found this masterpiece.

My piano teacher introduced me to Rob Reich and I will be forever grateful. If you don't already know Terry Riley, he's definitely one of the progenitors of this layered, pattern-based, slowly-progressing style.

OneTwoThrill

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Sum up of Putin’ speech,
Need more anxiolytics, neuroleptics and a glass of my finest whisky

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
Wow, I've never met anyone else who even knows YOB. Beauty in Falling Leaves is probably my favorite song of theirs. They're really great at building a solid album, though.

They're incredible, and that song is a great pick. Prepare the Ground was my introduction to them years ago, I was hooked instantly. Really great blend of heavy riffing and solid, interesting songwriting. Mike Scheidt's introspective lyrics are always on-point, too.

When I saw them they played their tour set of stuff from Clearing the Path, and then played basically an entire second set of older material. Definitely one of my top live experiences. I warned my buddy to bring earplugs, he didn't and ended up listening to the entire show from the smoking patio outside :lol:

To keep it on topic, I'm listening to the real Supercollider:

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
Normally I don't really dig this kind of stuff, but the dude really nails it.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Wow, I've never met anyone else who even knows YOB. Beauty in Falling Leaves is probably my favorite song of theirs. They're really great at building a solid album, though.

They're incredible, and that song is a great pick. Prepare the Ground was my introduction to them years ago, I was hooked instantly. Really great blend of heavy riffing and solid, interesting songwriting. Mike Scheidt's introspective lyrics are always on-point, too.
I've only really listened to Adrift on the Ocean, but I remember hearing it for the first time on Spotify and thinking that it's a monster track. I should really check out the ones y'all mentioned and dig into them some more.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Reaction score
Inlet is soooo good, better every time I listen. As much as I love the older stuff, I think Inlet is their best personally, the modern production does wonders for them. Wall-to-wall bangers. When I was in high school I had a friend who was in his 30s, my prog metal elder. Drummer, big goofball, huge Neil Peart and Danny Carey fan. He got me into King Crimson, and lent me his copy of the Salival box set as well as a VHS bootleg of some live TOOL shows, before such things were widely available online. Those were the biggest deal in the world to me at that time.

He was also a huge Hum fan, and gave me a copy of You'd Prefer An Astronaut. It honestly took me years before I really appreciated Hum. Anyway, he got killed in a hit & run a few years before Inlet came out. I know he'd have loved it, it's always a super emotional listen thinking of him, somewhere out there riding the waves of sound. Rush in Peace, brother.

Also remembering a hilarious moment hanging out with my mathy-indie-rock friends talking about the band Aveo, and this guy shows up out of nowhere thinking we're talking about Avail, and proceeds to confuse the fuck out of the other guys talking about seeing them play a Food Not Bombs benefit with GWAR lmao. Ahhh memories.

This 'Inlet' record is awesome, holy smokes. Last time I thought about Hum I think I was considering buying a cd at Media Play.

The production is so thick it's like fog. This is how I like bass tracks to sound as opposed to the clangy sound that a lot of bands tend to favor a la the dingwall sound.

Some of these tunes are genuinely heavy.

Thanks for the heads up.

NickS

New solution, problem changed
Reaction score
Nile - Black Seeds of Vengeance
Never really listened to these guys before so I figure now is probably the time, since I love bands like Entombed, Carcass, etc
Listen to Annihilation of the Wicked next. That's probably my favorite by them.