What are your favorite picks?

• Thread starter 07adams88
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

pushpull7

Banned
Reaction score
Oh, I have realised I just sharpen up the tips on my tortex 1.0's picks anyway, so effectively they are the same tip as Jazz III XL's. Not a fan of the rounded tips, like many here I prefer the sharp attack from a sharp pick.

Jazz III (the normal small ones) are crazy tiny, just don't fit in my fingers.

It took me a while to get used to them. Now other picks seem too big :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SjPedro

Reaction score
I've been using the Small pointed V-picks for the past 4 years now and the Insanity to practice. work great but I'll consider trying out the Jazz III JP's.

russmuller

Cramblin'
Reaction score
I used Jazz III's for more than a decade, but I decided to give Red Bear picks a try and I really really like them. A medium Lil' Jazzer Plus all day. I love it.

07adams88

Reaction score
Oh man how can you manage this one?...I have tried it for weeks back in the days and it fell off all the time. This pic and sweaty fingers are a total nightmare on stage.

Yeah that is my main problem with, picking, picks. My hands just naturally sweat(probably more than they should -.-) a lot. The pick spinning around sideways in my fingers or being dropped is a common thing for me.

Kind of why I've stuck with the Star picks. The hole in them allows the meat of my fingers to kind of groove into it. So far it has had the most stability for me. Just not really fond of the noise it makes on the strings.

Webmaestro

Ibanez Fanatic
Reaction score
I used Jazz III's for more than a decade, but I decided to give Red Bear picks a try and I really really like them. A medium Lil' Jazzer Plus all day. I love it.

So, totally serious question here: how the hell do you actually order/buy Red Bear picks?

I'm super interested in these, but I can't effing figure out how to buy them.

BrentSSL

Reaction score
Is it wierd i go between jazz 3 I think those are the black ones and dunlop greens and,purples lol not,sure the millimeters

Chi

Niverlare
Reaction score
Might be just me, but to me the regular Jazz 3's sound terribly dull and just feel yucky to play with. :scratch:

Webmaestro

Ibanez Fanatic
Reaction score
My fingers.

When in need, a Black Ice.

On that topic, I was kinda blown away recently when I went to see Winery Dogs a few months ago. I had no idea Richie Kotzen plays only with his fingers. Not for me, but still pretty badass.

pushpull7

Banned
Reaction score
The thing is about the jazz III tortex to me is they are stiff, they are smooth, they don't get "grooves" in them easily, and once you get used to them, you have a tendency to be a bit more efficient in your right hand technique.

I've prolly already said that, and YMMV, but I'm really surprised I've liked them as long as I have. The first time I tried this sized pick I was like "WTF DUDE?"

:lol:

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
.88mm (green) Dunlop Tortex Sharp :metal:

I'd been using the 1.14mm (purple) version for about two years, then switched to the green ones some time early last year. Still sturdy enough to play hard/fast without much give, but with a more defined attack than the thicker ones.

glpg80

√εvil
Reaction score
Gravity mini razors 1.5mm

Gravity big-mini Razor 3mm for rhythm work or acoustic for a smoother sound.

I have a few others that I carry on me, but those are my go-to's.

noUser01

Still can't play.
Reaction score
Man, if they made the Petrucci Jazz III's with Max Grip on them that would easily be my favorite pick. For now though I'm just using the normal Max Grip Jazz III's. They're pretty awesome, they just get dull too quickly for me. But I'd rather go through more picks than drop them, like I do with the Petrucci's!