What are your favorite pickups?

jwguitar

Reaction score
I know this topic might objective since different pickups sound better in some guitars than others. However what are your favorite model and type of pickups? I personally like Hagstrom’s stock pickups as well as Gotoh pickups. To my ears those work the best for what I am doing.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jwguitar

Reaction score
-EMG 81 & 60 w/ 18 v mod
-The Fralins that were in the PRS EG2’s
-PRS Santanas
-Dimarzio TZ/AN
-Evos
-Duncan JB/Distortion/Custom Custom
I have yet to try PRS pickups in any of my guitars. I hear a lot of good things about them.

ThunderUnderground

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Ibanez/Maxon Super 70 A8 @ 8k
Ibanez/Maxon V5 Ceramic @ 16k
Ibanez/Maxon Super 58 A3 @ 7.5k

Edit: Also Ibanez/Maxon V2 A5 @14k

I mostly live in the 8k to 14k dcr range, usually leaning towards Alnico magnets

Northfall

Established Djentleman
Reaction score
I think for me Dimarzio Sonic Ecstasies hit the spot. Those things really squeal.

Matt08642

Reaction score
Honestly right now I'm getting my favorite tones out of my old Squier with a DiMarzio Titan in it tuned to E standard with 9-42s. I didn't think the Titan would be suitable for that kind of thing but it honestly rips lol.

Aside from that, I really dig the Steve's Special bridge in my 550, and the DiMarzio Blaze in my 752.

BenjaminW

Reaction score
Favorite humbuckers that I own are probably either the EVH Wolfgang or Fralin Pure PAF (I forget the exact name).

Favorite single coils I own are Fender Vintage Noiseless.

I feel like I'll be here all day if I start saying what my favorite pickups that I don't own are.

Dayn

Reaction score
My Ormsby has a Hot Rock in the bridge and Concordia in the neck. Passive proprietary pickups. Really articulate. The bridge is great for even going down to D1, and the neck pickup has the characteristic smoothness of a neck pickup with a good amount of bite. The split coil for the bridge is crazy good, too.

So I'd say that, because it's very different from my Fishman Fluence Abasis in my other 8-string. The split coil sound isn't as good as the passives, but they're still great. Just different.