What brand of strings do you use and why?

• Thread starter AwakenTheSkies
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sleewell

Reaction score
What tuning? I had that set in Db standard and absolutely fucking hated the 22 G string (E in my case). I think the D'Addario set has a 19 which is still a little thunky but better.

CGCFAC

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
D'Addyo EXL158 13-62 "baritone light gauge." I'll often buy NYXLs for guitars I'm fixing up for other people. I'd prob buy them for myself if they came in 13-62 sets, the regular ones do seem to go "dead" more quickly.

I did Curt Mangans for a while but I found I prefer how Daddyo's are wound. Also I don't like the gauges Mangan's baritone set comes in. I will say though, you can call Curt Mangan and speak to Curt Mangan himself which is pretty darn cool.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
- D'addario NYXL for recording and 27" scale guitars
- Elixir Optiwebs for everything else

Problem with Elixirs is that they feel like half gauge more or something. So a set of 10s on a 25.5" scale guitar can get painful quickly if you do a lot of bending. If they released in-between gauges (9.5, etc) it would be the only brand I'd use. So feel free to email them to request them and make the world a better place!

Soya

Poor person
Reaction score
I use Stringjoy cause I'm picky with my string tensions and I use a couple different tunings.

gabito

Stay at home musician
Reaction score
Usually D'addario or EBs, or whatever's available if I'm not feeling fancy. I'm not very picky, I mostly care about getting a loose feeling from the strings.

009s for E or D standard, 011s for B standard.

ccc444

Reaction score
Usually D'addario or EBs, or whatever's available if I'm not feeling fancy. I'm not very picky, I mostly care about getting a loose feeling from the strings.

009s for E or D standard, 011s for B standard.
Damn, and I thought I was a sicko for doing drop A with a .054. What gauge is the low B?

AwakenTheSkies

Life is like a box of chocolates
Reaction score
Years ago I used to do Drop C# with 10-46 on the PRS SE because the nut was cut for 11-49 maximum and strings thicker than that probably meant trouble when using the tremolo. So eventually I just left the guitar on Eb standard. But now that I have the nut files I can make things right 🧑‍🔧

Will be using 10-46 and swapping out the 46 for a 52.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
I use The String Source and Stringjoy. Both great companies that I go to because I like to make my own sets based on specific tension levels and tunings. I also like S.I.T. and Magma but use those packs primarily on regular 6 string FSO's.

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
Years ago I used to do Drop C# with 10-46 on the PRS SE because the nut was cut for 11-49 maximum and strings thicker than that probably meant trouble when using the tremolo. So eventually I just left the guitar on Eb standard. But now that I have the nut files I can make things right 🧑‍🔧

Will be using 10-46 and swapping out the 46 for a 52.

be careful when you cut your nuts

Marked Man

Reaction score
NYXLs are becoming my #1 standard for Superstrats and LPs. Also Curt Mangan Powerwound, still a standard, although #2 now, 10-46 @ Eb all.

For traditional SSS Strats and Teles, D'addario XLs, either 9-42 or 9-46.

For maximum metal guitars, D'addario ProSteels, 10-46.

Had an interesting experience with Ernie Ball M-steels recently on my Charvel San Dimas USA. They sound very good and are very LOUD as advertised, but feel terrible and abrasive, almost like industrial wire or something. The opposite of Curt Mangans, which are most comfortable of all to me, like butta. NYXLs are a little stiffer than CMs, but manageable. M-Steels are too much to tolerate.

Also have Dunlop Heavy Core 10-48 on one of my neck throughs that needed a bit more bottom end. They deliver it and still have plenty of edge! But they are definitely stiff and intended for downtuned guitars. It's worth it for that guitar cos they sound freakin' yuge....

Last edited:

Marked Man

Reaction score
I use The String Source and Stringjoy. Both great companies that I go to because I like to make my own sets based on specific tension levels and tunings. I also like S.I.T. and Magma but use those packs primarily on regular 6 string FSO's.

I just bought a set of Stringjoy 9.5 - 46. Looking forward to trying those on my ESP Horizon III next time.

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
I just bought a set of Stringjoy 9.5 - 46. Looking forward to trying those on my ESP Horizon III next time.
thats close to what i use. I use 9-12-16-24-34-54 (for my dropped D. if i want E standard ill switch the 54 for 48)

gabito

Stay at home musician
Reaction score
Damn, and I thought I was a sicko for doing drop A with a .054. What gauge is the low B?

Let me see...

It's 049 for the low B, I'm using D'Addario 011s right now on this guitar, 25.5" scale.

I mean, I know I could go for something else, but these are all right. I like the loose feeling. The guys from Carcass use or used 012s on their Gibsons, the guys from Entombed used to put some 010s and tune to C or B (or A#?), so I think I'll be fine :lol:

There's also Tony Iommi who uses 009s when tuning to C# or something like that, but he's missing a few fingers (which I'm luckily not) and he's Tommy Iommi so he can do whatever he wants.

I don't usually play like a caveman, I have a light touch and I'm kind of prone to get tendinitis or pain in my hands if I use heavy strings or a very high action.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
D'addario XL whenever possible. I've found they're the brightest and clearest strings I've tried so far without having to go the boutique route.

I'll use other brands like GHS and EB if I need a specific string gauge, but otherwise D'addario is the go-to. I said it in another thread but I'd like to try and use the XS strings again.

ccc444

Reaction score
Let me see...

It's 049 for the low B, I'm using D'Addario 011s right now on this guitar, 25.5" scale.

I mean, I know I could go for something else, but these are all right. I like the loose feeling. The guys from Carcass use or used 012s on their Gibsons, the guys from Entombed used to put some 010s and tune to C or B (or A#?), so I think I'll be fine :lol:

There's also Tony Iommi who uses 009s when tuning to C# or something like that, but he's missing a few fingers (which I'm luckily not) and he's Tommy Iommi so he can do whatever he wants.

I don't usually play like a caveman, I have a light touch and I'm kind of prone to get tendinitis or pain in my hands if I use heavy strings or a very high action.

Fair enough! I see a lot of "oh gosh a .070 is just way to floppy for anything below C" and "god forbid I play on anything other than a bridge cable or I'll go 0.0001 cents sharp" so it's nice to see someone else in the spaghetti strings club:cheers:

In my infinite nerdiness, I checked: your .049 is at 11.7lbs, my low .054 is 11.3lbs in A - a mere 0.4lbs difference in floppage.

CleansingCarnage

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
11-68 and 10.5-62 sets from Stringjoy for 7 string, and D'Addario XS 10-46 and 12-52 for 6 string.

Necky379

Reaction score
GHS strings and GHS Fast Fret on them.

The individual sealed packages are key, you know they’re going to be fresh. Fast Fret makes them last longer than any coated string. They have a great range of gauges, I use Custom Lights and TNT’s mostly. The ZW TNT’s are awesome for an odd tuning I like on one of my 7’s I just add a string and I buy individual strings for my C tuned 6 stringers. Their acoustic strings sound really really good.