What do I need to get my FM3 and Synergy to Europe?

neurosis

Reaction score
I am going to move back to Europe for a while and want to take my FM3 and the SYN-1 with the Uber module with me. I was initially considering putting them in a Pelican case but once I have settled with a new desktop setup the case is going to get no use.

I was wondering if a shallow rack would be better if there's one that can fit the SYN-1, a Focusrite Scralett 6I6 and the FM3 plus maybe a pedal or two. Looking at options I am now thinking that perhaps it'll be more efficient and easier to set up if I get a SYN-2 that can be screwed into place and then use a drawer for the Focusrite and the SYN-1. In that case I still would need a way to fix the Focusrite and the FM3 into place–don't want to use velcro. I have seen an option to rack mount the SYN-1 but it doesn't look stable and seems like a waste of space which could be another argument to go for the SYN-2.

On top of all that, given the European Power requirements I don't know if I need some other piece of gear to take care of electricity for the different parts. I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to touring/travel setups so the rack part is as far as I've gotten. I just want to keep my recording gear neatly tucked into one case that's good to travel and then be able to use it without much extra prep when I am overseas.

Do any of you have ideas on what I could research/look for/try? Anybody with a similar setup or in a similar situation willing to share their approach? I was even thinking I could build or modify a small fly-case to neatly fit all these pieces without need of buying much more stuff. But I haven't found anything in that size. I was also wondering if I should use foam to hold the gear snug but can't imagine that being a good idea in terms of the necessary ventilation to keep these units operating in a healthy way.

Open to all your thoughts. Thank you!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
The FM3 is multi voltage. You'll be safe in that regard. For the SYN-1 you'd need a step down transformer. If you plan to stay for a long time, I'd sell it and buy the EU version. Less hassle and stuff to move.

I would focus on getting the stuff there, and worrying about the racks and setup later. Maybe sell the pelican case later. Trust me, those things are hard to get in EU and I don't think you'd have any problems selling it.

When I moved to London a buddy got his guitar shipped from Spain, which costed him an arm and a leg. Then, he later had to take it on the plane which again costed him a lot of money. I opted for buying a beater guitar instead. I ended up liking it and brought it with me dissasembled on my luggage. Point being, getting the stuff wherever you go is always cheaper and easier unless is something uncommon (like the FM3).

Last edited:

rifftrauma

Trapped in time...
Contributor
Reaction score
I moved to and back from Germany with most of my gear. I have a 8U shock rack I mounted my Kemper and Furman in before the move. I'm in agreement with Emperoff, sell anything that isn't dual voltage now and buy the European version when you get there. I double checked all of my equipment to see what was dual voltage and then bought new power cables off Amazon when we arrived. I did a large purge before we left Germany and sold off a couple more guitars as well. I bought two Quantum GTX cases and loaded my remaining guitars into them, everything showed up in once piece.

neurosis

Reaction score
Thanks @Emperoff and @rifftrauma ! I am a little anxious with the move. We barely own anything and have a good plan to rotate most of it out but I have amassed a small collection of gear that is giving me a headache. I want to keep most of my guitars but Feel like I should sell the pedals, put any amp purchases on hold and think what a 1-2 guitar plus FM3 setup looks like. I am annoyed that I'd have to sell the SYN-1. I was somehow hoping that I could put it in a rack with the FM3 and power the two with a conditioner or something like that. Looks like I need to study up on racks and setups if that is not the solution.

@Emperoff I've brought many guitars back and forth between countries and I always checked them in for the fee with no hassle. Gig bags went on the plane with me, although small mosquito planes for inbound flights in the US can have staff that won't accommodate that.

I am thinking if a 2-3U rack is not possible then maybe get a small Pelican for the FM3 and 2-3 pedals or the Synergy module.

@rifftrauma did your setup have a transformer? Or does the Furman or something else in the rig regulate power? Or maybe it wasn't necessary if it was just the Kemper?

AwakenTheSkies

Life is like a box of chocolates
Reaction score
When I moved to London a buddy got his guitar shipped from Spain, which costed him an arm and a leg. Then, he later had to take it on the plane which again costed him a lot of money.
Lmao what? What are you doing dudes?
I moved to the UK for 6 months and brought my guitar on the plane with me.
30€ ticket for me and 30€ ticket for the guitar, bought an extra seat for it and the guitar was flying next to me. That's it 🤣🤣
Did the same going to Switzerland...

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Lmao what? What are you doing dudes?
I moved to the UK for 6 months and brought my guitar on the plane with me.
30€ ticket for me and 30€ ticket for the guitar, bought an extra seat for it and the guitar was flying next to me. That's it 🤣🤣
Did the same going to Switzerland...
I was young, broke, and literally determined to smash the guitar before going back (it costed me exactly 77€) :lol:

But as I said, I endeed up liking it so...

rifftrauma

Trapped in time...
Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks @Emperoff and @rifftrauma ! I am a little anxious with the move. We barely own anything and have a good plan to rotate most of it out but I have amassed a small collection of gear that is giving me a headache. I want to keep most of my guitars but Feel like I should sell the pedals, put any amp purchases on hold and think what a 1-2 guitar plus FM3 setup looks like. I am annoyed that I'd have to sell the SYN-1. I was somehow hoping that I could put it in a rack with the FM3 and power the two with a conditioner or something like that. Looks like I need to study up on racks and setups if that is not the solution.

@Emperoff I've brought many guitars back and forth between countries and I always checked them in for the fee with no hassle. Gig bags went on the plane with me, although small mosquito planes for inbound flights in the US can have staff that won't accommodate that.

I am thinking if a 2-3U rack is not possible then maybe get a small Pelican for the FM3 and 2-3 pedals or the Synergy module.

@rifftrauma did your setup have a transformer? Or does the Furman or something else in the rig regulate power? Or maybe it wasn't necessary if it was just the Kemper?
No, my setup at the time consisted of only the Kemper, Adam Audio monitors and a Presonus 26c. I stored the Furman inside the rack while we lived in Germany, and just ran all my gear off a European surge protector, no transformers etc.

We did run our TV through a transformer like the one linked below. It was quite and we never had any issues with it, but I can't comment on if it will work with the SYN-1.