What do you think about wah?

• Thread starter gnoll
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

aesthyrian

Reaction score
I find it impossible to get his wah sound out of my Dunlop Zakk Wylde Wah, but I get very close on my Morley Dragon Wah. I think this is a case of choosing the right wah; you'll want one that affects primarily the brighter upper mids (the vowel range).

I think he used to use a basic Vox wah(V847), at least for all the iconic recordings that I remember. So, pre-2004.

r33per

Reaction score
This.

I can't use it myself because I'm a huge Satriani fan, and not only do I lack his subtlety, I feel like I can't afford to do anything that would make me sound any MORE influenced by him. :lol:
This this.
It's almost embarrassing sometimes...

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
Once upon a time, I bought a basic Vox wah just to see what the fuss was about. It's still in an unopened box, somewhere... Doesn't help that I'm mostly a rythm guy and that the solos I do learn mostly don't have any wah.

Akkush

Reaction score
I miss it, just like the good old divebombs and whammy squeal.
If it's done withpurpose and tastefully, I love it.
Want to buy one in the future... after I can write solos... :idea:

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Marty Friedman's autowah is my favourite.

He has it always on for leads, and sounds super cool and expressive. Suck that, Hammett :lol:

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
I've been ripping off that AF9 thing for a decade now.

Any clue if the newer ones are exactly the same as the older ones? I've thought about getting one fitted under my pedalboard since it's already full :lol:

Mathemagician

Reaction score
It just ends up like one of his tapping excursions instead.

Every tapping line can sound like midnight. Prove me wrong.

No seriously please do. It’s that or fucking eruption. It doesn’t matter how many fingers or how I hit the frets. Fucking midnight. God I still love that song tho.

gabito

Stay at home musician
Reaction score
I'm mostly influenced by Kirk Hammett, the guys from Slayer, Dimebag Darrell, Satriani, Vai, etc. so... I say yes to wah(ing). Mostly for solos, sometimes just as a booster or filter. I only use it when I play in metal bands, though. I have no use for it in other kinds of music, but I know it can be used for funk, 70's rock, etc.

I like how Tom Morello and others use it for riffing too.

I still have the Morley PWA Pro Series I bought in '95 or so (the second pedal I ever bought, I think), it still works perfectly after years of heavy abuse, and it's not going anywhere (mainly because it's big and heavy as hell :lol:)

jruivo26

Reaction score
I like it as a colouring effect and a way to apply texture and dynamics to a lead phrase. Using it "just because" like rythmic waka-chaka and just all around wah shredding like Kirk Hammet can become quite annoying though.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
As with every effect, throwing it out here and there doesn't hurt. Honestly I'd feel naked onstage without one (although I don't use it much). I was also heavily influenced by Satch, Vai, Hammett, Wylde, Amott, etc. So it's kinda in my DNA.

Every tapping line can sound like midnight. Prove me wrong.

No seriously please do. It’s that or fucking eruption. It doesn’t matter how many fingers or how I hit the frets. Fucking midnight. God I still love that song tho.

I have never bothered to learn the full song because I just get stuck playing the intro over and over. It's just too cool. That and the outro, where he does the same chords but chaning the tempo on the fly. Soooo tasty.

Last edited:

Mathemagician

Reaction score
I have never bothered to learn the full song because I just get stuck playing the intro over and over. It's just too cool. That and the outro, where he does the same chords but chaning the tempo on the fly. Soooo tasty.

That’s like 85%+ of the song. Cause there’s like maybe an handful of other notes and no one notices if you don’t play the remaining parts.

The 4-finger high/low alternating part is super fun once you get the hang of it. “I could play any chord like this” lol.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
That’s like 85%+ of the song. Cause there’s like maybe an handful of other notes and no one notices if you don’t play the remaining parts.

The 4-finger high/low alternating part is super fun once you get the hang of it. “I could play any chord like this” lol.

Yeah, I never cared much for the "clapping" part, although it's the easiest part of the song to learn. Dunno why but everytime I play a guitar unplugged I tend to play that song.

Now Ichika Nito blows my mind with that kind of stuff the same way Satch did back then.