What game are you playing?

• Thread starter mark520
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
Lol I liked it for a little bit at least lol. This is a good one if you've got kids that like to play it. I haven't for awhile but my son had me playing this with him every day for a while.
Yeah, Ultimate is just not a very fun Smash Bros game. Particularly at high levels.

gabito

Stay at home musician
Reaction score
I've been slowly inching my way towards the end on tlou part2. Killed a big thing that was very persistent on killing my sorry ass. It even split up and tried to have ménage à trois with me, but in the end I was victorious and it passed on to greener fields.

Now I'm on an island, getting rid of some scars. I love how abrupt and brutal the combat is in this game. Kill or be killed, one way or another, someone is going to bleed or explode to death.

That "rat king" thing can be a nightmare sometimes. At that point in the game you think you have it all figured out, but this boss of sorts forces you to take a different approach. I wasn't 100% on board with having to fight a Residen Evil-ish thing in TLoU but whatever, it's still a great game.

Just finished Diablo 3 two weeks ago. It was really fun to play, story is as dumb as they come, characters are non-existent. Not interested enough to keep playing the post game stuff, but it was a good experience overall. I may buy Diablo II's remaster later, I don't know.

I felt like replaying TLoU for the nth time, and now I have finished NG+ on HARD (which is the same difficulty level I got to finish the game on the PS3 version, so I now have the same trophies for both...).

But it wasn't enough, so after all these years I gathered enough courage to give survivor mode a go. So, let's see how far I can get without Joel's magical ears this time...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
So. Last night I hung out with a couple of friends at their house for no-kids night and got really, really stoned. I decided to download Doki Doki Literature Club Plus! for them on their Switch, because I've been dying to see someone react to it with no prior knowledge of the game. About 15 minutes into the second half, one of them looked at me and yelled "I THOUGHT WE WERE FRIENDS!!". At the end of it, they told me they much closer to be than ever (and we've all known each other 20 years) because we're bonded through a common trauma. If that's not an impactful game, I know know what is. Plus, I got to laugh my ass off because I know the game inside out and got to react to them accordingly. And we were stoned.

Brutal08

Reaction score
Halo masterchief compilation: i just bough on steam, I only played the first one on xbox when it came out but i was always interested in the halo lore now i am halfway through Reach and im having a blast! I have good memories of playing combat evolved with my brother while blasting Augury's Concealed a the time, I always think of this album when i think of Halo

AwakenTheSkies

Life is like a box of chocolates
Reaction score
Finally playing Subnautica! So far the experience has been joyful, exciting and at the same time frustrating sometimes. I've been getting stuck with the story progression. Also I've bought Sleeping Dogs for 3€ on the Steam sale, looking forward to that as well.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
fucking around in Gundam Versus whenever I get sick of fiesta mode in halo infinite. Gundam Versus just makes me want another Virtual On game, which was one of my favorite games back when arcades were still a thing (besides MK/tekken).

Choop

uwu
Reaction score
Halo masterchief compilation: i just bough on steam, I only played the first one on xbox when it came out but i was always interested in the halo lore now i am halfway through Reach and im having a blast! I have good memories of playing combat evolved with my brother while blasting Augury's Concealed a the time, I always think of this album when i think of Halo

I was playing through those a while back too -- had never played Halo 3 before and found it to be pretty fun! It has more emphasis on vehicle combat which I thought were some of the best parts of the game.

wankerness

Reaction score
Playing through DS1/2/3 -

DS1 - Switch - I'm doing it without getting impatient and doing the souls glitch this time, and it sure is a lot harder when you're not overlevelled (unsurprisingly!). There aren't good, fast grinding zones in this game, unlike 2/3 - closest thing is farming those NPC cleric/warrior/sorcerer/thief guys in the forest repeatedly, but it's slow to find them. The boss difficulty has been funny. I died repeatedly to GAPING DRAGON, which I'd never died to before, cause he kept spamming this move I don't remember him having where he flies across the room and lands on you and kills you instantly, and it's extremely difficult to dodge if you don't have a button extension on your controller to enable adjusting the camera without taking your thumbs off the dodge/run button. Yet, I killed the Mk II asylum demon before I even got to gaping dragon, with a piddly little +1 Broadsword, taking about 10 minutes. Similarly, I killed Sif just fine, yet am getting repeatedly wasted by trash in Sen's Fortress. Ah well. I have to take a break on this game till I get a new controller, anyway, since the stick is finally going on my Switch pro controller and having it unpredictably lurch left all the time is not going to work for running across those tiny bridges in there with precision timing. It doesn't help that almost no one plays this game on switch, so there are no helpful red markers left between the axes to show you where to stand like on PS4, all there are are sparse trolling messages like "try jumping" or "illusory wall ahead" where there isn't anything. I HATE Sen's Fortress. Like, it's vastly worse than anything in 2/3. DS1 is definitely the hardest of the series as far as levels go; though the bosses are mostly easier than 3/BB. I've been using the black knight sword and I hate it (it's like a really slow claymore with less moveset variety), but it does so much more damage than anything else I have that it doesn't make sense to do anything else until I can upgrade past +10.

Also, this game is unplayable on handheld mode in some areas. Even with Brightness set to 10, it's just way too dark to see anything in many of the zones (ex Blighttown). Maybe if you had a new LED Switch it would work.

DS2 - PC - I'd forgotten how frustrating NG can be. Mainly just getting dealing with some of the trash mobs (particularly the goddam Heide Knights - I died to the sword variety of them about 15 times just trying to learn a dependable strategy for killing them) is very hard when you're a low level. After getting adaptability/agi up most of the way and then finally starting to beef out other stats, things are a lot easier. Especially with a Mace, which does comical amounts of damage to most of the early bosses.

DS3 - PC - Tried to get through this with a dex build, which I ended up playing mostly the same as my str build (just using a sellsword twinblade instead of a lothric straight sword). It was pretty smooth sailing for a while, but I was getting chunked by a few mobs that never gave me trouble before thanks to not being able to use a decent shield (ex Pontiff knights and those giant snake guys with the axe on a chain). I skipped Nameless King cause I didn't trust my ability to roll through all his bullshit, and went through the Painted World DLC - died like 5 times to Gravetender/Wolf thanks to a wimpy lil' shield and not doing enough damage to kill him before the wolf came out, but bizarrely didn't die once on Sister Friede (used the summon, obviously, and pretty much chained backstabs on her in phase 3). Then I hit an absolute brick wall with the back half of the Ringed City DLC - almost every mob was just destroying me. Had to switch to the Uchigatana to kick over those little turtle monk guys since Sellswords deactivate kick, and was getting annihilated by the ring knights since they hit so damn hard and had poise to ignore anything I did with either dex sword. Plus those giant blackhole head guys can't be plunge-attacked with any little dex weapons, which is really stupid, making them vastly more difficult since you have to fully engage them. I died over and over to the stupid giant summoner on the bridge, who I'd never had trouble with before, cause again he wasn't staggered AT ALL and just kept spamming summons while I tried to kill him. Respecced to 45 strength instead of 45 dex, got out a greatshield and greataxe, and then started steamrolling everything. Like, ring knights now stagger like crazy and died in 2 backstabs instead of 4 while taking off a tiny amount of stamina when I block them. Dumb how it's so inflexible when it comes to builds, but hey. I guess this is the last DLC, and if they gave you a means to respec, I guess they can be inflexible like that. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to poison Midir and Gael again cause I'm bad.

One of these days I'll get to Guardians of the Galaxy!!!

I see there's a big sale on PS network right now. Some games I'm eyeing are Rage 2 (looks stupid, but the kind of stupid I might enjoy), Kingdom Come: Deliverance (I think this might just bore and frustrate me, but I know a lot of people that LOVE it), Bayonetta (I played this on 360 several years ago but don't really remember it), and Doom 1/2 (I last played these on Xbox 360, too). I'm glad to hear you can now get Final Doom as an add-on within Doom 2, I haven't played that since PC many years ago.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Dude why didnt anyone tell me Breath of the Wild was so fucking amazing?

The fuck guys?

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Yeah, Ultimate is just not a very fun Smash Bros game. Particularly at high levels.
What dont you like about it? My son and I play a ton and love it, but purely just messing around though, as I havent played it very seriously. What dont you like about it?

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
What dont you like about it? My son and I play a ton and love it, but purely just messing around though, as I havent played it very seriously. What dont you like about it?
My brother is one of the best Smash Bros players in the world, so my opinion is very much about the competitive game. Its fine casually because items and 4 players cover up a lot of things.

It's not really fun to watch or play at high levels because there's no incentive to engage your opponent. You'll see a lot of match time spent with characters sitting at opposite ends of the stage throwing projectiles hoping the other one makes a mistake before moving in to actually fight. Melee and 4 were a lot better in this regard and you'll see most matches start with characters moving towards each other, instead of away.

It's just kinda slow overall from this. Additionally ledge play sucks because a lot of characters have good ways to prevent you coming back on stage. That leads to both players very close to the edge waiting for the other to blink, while neither has any incentive to blink.

Just super unexciting to watch compared to older games.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Dude why didnt anyone tell me Breath of the Wild was so fucking amazing?
Mostly 'cause if you declare something amazing, someone will jump in to counter it. But yeah, it's pretty amazing. Some people don't like the weapon durability thing, and some people don't like the music implementation, and some people don't like the openness of it, and there's little performance hitches here and there, etc. etc, but if none of those bother you, it does so many things very right.

I don't replay many games, but a part of me has been wanting to replay that one lately. Mostly because I remember it as a really relaxing experience to get lost in for a while.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Mostly 'cause if you declare something amazing, someone will jump in to counter it. But yeah, it's pretty amazing. Some people don't like the weapon durability thing, and some people don't like the music implementation, and some people don't like the openness of it, and there's little performance hitches here and there, etc. etc, but if none of those bother you, it does so many things very right.

I don't replay many games, but a part of me has been wanting to replay that one lately. Mostly because I remember it as a really relaxing experience to get lost in for a while.
I personally think the weapon degredation, paired with weapons around every corner, really forces you to get creative with your weapons. I personally love it and hope for more like this, also, I also like the stamina wheel. I think these two game features really make this game more of a puzzle than an action game, and as a fan of resi evil, I am a fan of puzzle games masked as action games :D

wankerness

Reaction score
The problem with the weapon degradation in BOTW doesn't really rear its head until you've progressed far enough that most of the monsters you're encountering take a TON of hits from any weapon to kill (when most enemies are silver or black). It's also infuriating when you fight them on a cliff and they have a ton of HP and every end of a combo sends the enemy flying several yards back (and often off the cliff) over and over till they die. Especially if you're farming monster parts from lizards or something.

It's a great game and I'll be buying the second the day it's available. But it's definitely not flawless.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I'm on a similar page. No game is flawless. I'll be buying the sequel without a second thought for sure.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I love the weapon degradation mechanic in Diablo. I hated it in Call of the Wild. It seemed like weapons broke too quickly, sometimes comically so and sometimes frustratingly so.

Great mechanic, unbalanced execution, IMO of course.

Everything else about the game was nearly flawless, so that's probably why so many people complained specifically about that one aspect of it.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Im only 2 divine beasts down and I suppose havent run to the frustrating part, there have been frustrating experiences sure, but I haven't yelled at the game mechanic yet.