What game are you playing?

• Thread starter mark520
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
"Next gen" update for Fallout 4 on 4/25 lol

Hmm, nice. Maybe I'll finish the game then :lol: It was one of the few games I actually bought immediately when it came out and I liked it apart from the base building bs and I didn't end up using power armor at all even though I kinda liked the mechanics of it. Maybe they'll also add the possibility to kill Preston Garvey or whatever his name was, most annoying NPC ever! :lol:

wankerness

Reaction score
FF16's world is so empty. I thought FF7 Remake's was, but this is way worse. There's these vast open spaces with a couple little named landmarks in them with buildings and stuff, and very often there will be literally nothing inside of them, not even a chest with a crappy item. The exploration is almost never rewarding, there's just sometimes hunt targets way far away from anywhere you go naturally, which are the only reason to go exploring. NPCs never have anything to say, and if they have a quest there's a clear marker over them, and all objectives have markers on them, so you just follow the icons basically. Speaking of crappy items, the item pickups in this game are laughable, they're almost always completely worthless. You'll run a long distance to pick up a shiny and frequently it's either 5 or 10 g. In this game's economy, the records for the frickin jukebox cost 40,000 gil. I don't know what sadistic maniac designed this economy, but it's insane. I am probably close to 2/3 through the game, have never bought anything expensive, have done every single sidequest and hunt I've gotten access to, and only have about 130,000 gil. I've seen like 10 records on vendors! There's no way to make anywhere close to enough money in this game to even buy worthless baubles like records for the jukebox!

The voiceacting and dialogue is massively better than FF7 Remake, but all the dialogue scenes are just a bunch of npcs standing around with their arms folded, there's no dynamism or anything.

Anyway I think I'll try and power through to the end. But I don't know why I liked this game initially. I think cause it frontloads the Eidon battle stuff at the beginning, and that's the one time this game comes alive. The world is so drab and lifeless and bland visually, but those sections are spectacular and look truly next gen. It's like all resources went towards those sequences, but they're like 1/20th of the time you spend in the game.

From everything I've heard FF7 Rebirth is a huge improvement over all these problems. But, I'm getting frustrated enough by the lengthy cutscenes and lengthy walking doing nothing sequences that I'm thinking of doing a real action game next instead. Rise of the Ronin has had enough positive word of mouth that I'm now curious, or I can do the GOTG or Jedi Survivor I've been putting off for 1-2 years. :p

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Decided to come out of the fridge for a bit, just to talk about Angry Dragon: Improvised Wanking. Only up to chapter 6 and all I've done is wallow in the minigames. I'm one goon away from cleaning up the whole Sujimon League, but chose to stop after feeling I've spent way too much time with all the creepy dudes I've kidnapped and leveled up. The Dondoko Island segment is just pure evil, and the reason why I probably shouldn't be playing cozy life/farming sims. Never has been a Yakuza mini game that grabbed me by the balls since Majima's cabaret club in 0. 3 Stars in, and I still haven't left the island and will probably see it right through the end before going back to the critical path.

This game is making me reassess these large JRPGs in general, since all the time sinks and grinding pitfalls I have with most AAA games, I've fallen into these here hook line and sinker. Granted that I've defended the 'Japanese' method of large open world games and the lack of urgency or care for the player to even attempt to complete them... I guess it's all just on me, and my own personal time management, looking after my real-life Impotent Health.

After Himbly Dimbly, I'll most likely play Broken Roads next. The game just came out and its basically Australian post-apocalyptic Disco Elysium, or Dingo Elysium if you will. So far it looks great, and I can't wait to start it. I've also actually become good friends with the composer, who I met at a music clinic, and we've already talked about doing something together sometime down the line so I'm looking forward to that as well.

gabito

Stay at home musician
Reaction score
I've been playing Like a Dragon: Infinite Friends We Made Along The Way the past few weeks. I played around 80 hours or so, I think, just finished the main story. Fantastic game.

Kasuga is a very lucky man: everywhere he goes almost everybody speaks not only a funny english variant, but fluent japanese as well. I mean, what are the odds? :lol: But he's also friends with a crawfish, so I guess everything's possible.

I really liked it. I'm not a fan of turn based gameplay, but oh well... I can still enjoy the experience. I found it to be kind of unbalanced though, but this time there were only one or two difficulty spikes, and I think they were way less severe than in the previous game. For example when you fight the 'jima trio, or the dungeon's final bosses (those fucking robots...). Knowing that this could happen I tried to be 2 or 3 levels above of what I guessed the bosses' levels would be, bought every healing item I could buy, bought or found every worthwhile piece of equipment there was, always had one or two healers in my team, and... had no problems at all.

Also after a point (I think it was after level 30 or so) the game pays you a lot of money after every fight, so you can turn the game into a poundmates fest with near to no penalty (if at all). I just called them all the time after episode 10 or 11 one-hit-killing almost everybody in every fight and still ended up having like 2 million dollars in Kasuga's wallet.

If anything the game can be kind of easy if you play it in a certain way (which I did!). I can't complain, I like easy.

I liked the Dondoko Island stuff, so I did all you can do there after it's unlocked and I had a lot of money after episode 6. Also did every substory, the friendship bingo, Kiryu's memories, all the drink links, etc., etc., .etc. which gives you and your party a lots of perks.

I just checked, and you can get the platinum trophy for this game pretty much just playing it (and there's no shogi, mahjong, or difficulty related trophies), so I'll keep playing the sujimon stuff and everything I'm still missing until I get all the trophies.

Like I said, fantastic game even if it's not perfect (but what is?). I could probably play Yakuza games and nothing else for the rest of my life. I hope Goku Kiryu gets better though (yeah, we know he will...).

wankerness

Reaction score
Infinite Wealth is easier than Yakuza 7, yeah. ESPECIALLY as far as "endgame" is concerned.

Dondoko Island is great. I don't think it's a failure to stop focusing on the main plot to do all of that. I mean, the director was hyped about it and was convinced he'd made the best Yakuza minigame ever, and it was a huge focus of their marketing. I pretty much burned through it and I think I was about 3/4 done with that plotline before I even left the island the first time. I finished it up well before I "beat the game." It's definitely vying with the Hostess Management from 0/2 for best ever Yakuza minigame.

I didn't like the Sujimon stuff as much. I definitely think it's developed, I just personally wasn't a big fan of any of the mechanics, especially the gacha stuff. There was also no reward for capturing every kind, which was too bad. My strategy with it was basically to get a couple of the Kiwami sujimon and steamroll the rest of it. The questline is pretty funny, as usual.

I am of the opinion that if you do a single playthrough it's possibly the best Yakuza game. I mean, it's not perfect, it has problems with some of the directions the story goes in the back half (as usual for these things, unfortunately) and I think in general the substories are weaker than some other entries. NG+ has some big issues (on top of being paywalled), but that's irrelevant to a thorough playthrough. I'm hopeful they add some more traditional DLC for it like they did with the fantastic DLC for Beyond Judgment, but I don't think they've ever done that for a mainline title, so it's OK if they don't. I just want more of the combat system. I think it's the best turn-based RPG combat I've ever experienced. It's a huge upgrade from 7, and I loved 7. Waiting for Yakuza 9 will be tough.

Anyway, I finished FFXVI and by the end, I thought it was the worst Final Fantasy game I've played (that's not saying a ton, I've only played 6/8/9/X/X-2/13/14/15/7 Remake). If you made a Final Fantasy game that was a combination of the draw system from FF8, the jumprope game from FF9, the lightning dodging game from FFX, and the pull-up minigame from FF7 Remake it would still probably be better than the back half of FFXVI. Just a dreadful slog for the entire second half.
They write out the actually interesting/charismatic villains (Benedikta and Hugo) as fast as possible, give you a moustache twirling idiot with a horrid accent (Odin guy) for a little bit, and then just spend all their energy on the stupid BIG BAD that is less interesting than the sorceress from FF8. Quests all waste as much of your time as possible, with constant leisurely dialogue and slow camera pans and the least dynamic animations and staging imaginable. It's like...guy talks, fade out, fade in *some time passes...* now guy is standing there with his arms folded, which is one of three NPC animations that exist it seems, then finally you find out your job is to travel halfway across the world and pick up some feathers off the ground and then teleport back, upon which you'll get yet another excruciating cutscene. I just started skipping ALL of them in the last few hours of the game.

It's especially dire when you complete some big quest, get 20 minutes of cutscenes, then the game boots you out to the map screen, but ONLY lets you travel to the town, and as soon as you travel there, you get another 10 minutes of cutscenes. It won't even let you save between all the cutscenes despite that weird kick out to the map screen temporarily. Hope you're not in a hurry! Similarly you'll often get an NPC blathering at you for a while, and they give you a quest objective, which is TALK TO THEM AGAIN. Like, literally just hit x again cause you were already talking to them! What the heck! It's like Yakuza, if the writing was terrible and you didn't care about any of the characters or plot.

And the combat!! It's so mindless and buttonmashy. You get fodder enemies (easily dispatched by mashing AOE abilities and square) and staggerable enemies (you just mash all of your abilities on cooldown and then make sure the biggest ones are up when the enemy is staggered, repeat maybe twice on easy or five times on normal, enemy is dead). All weapons are exactly the same, you will craft some epic sword with boss parts and then not 10 minutes later a better sword appears on a vendor and it costs 1/20th the amount of a goddam musicbox roll. The big ultimate final sword is a whopping 35 damage more than the previous sword you got off a vendor (my damage went from 740 to 775 iirc), and has zero special abilities or anything to differentiate it.

Exploration is terrible because of bizarre oversights. Like, there's no compass in the game or minimap, and with the labyrinthine and segregated maps, you need to constantly be pausing to look at your map to see where you're supposed to go. It destroys immersion. I mean, either commit to making you figure out where to go or put SOME indicator of what direction you're facing in the game. And the lack of a run button makes everything feel like a slog. You can run forward for like five seconds and then your character finally starts running, whoopidy doo, but you can't run in your homebase, where you're constantly pingponged between npcs on opposite ends, so it's tedious as possible.

After you beat the first "phase" of the final boss, you're like "hey, let's go finish him," at which point practically every NPC you've ever interacted with comes up with some stupid sidequest like "pick some flowers" or "kill a turtle." There's like, 15 sidequests that open! It's ridiculous. Then the final boss is a fight in a big bright fishbowl, basically, so depth perception is terrible and you spend almost your whole time dodging flashing lights without being able to tell how close or how far you are from the boss. Fortunately it's very easy, so you can still beat him down, but boy is it incoherent.

This game is SO BAD. At least it made me appreciate FF7 Remake infinitely more. The widely scorned FF13 is great in comparison cause you might actually care about some of the characters in that one and the combat actually requires strategy towards the end of the game. Blech.

Anyway, now I have about 150 gigs available on my PS5, but now I see FF7 Rebirth takes up 150 gigs, so I might have to get Rise of the Ronin instead! Or force myself to play backlog and wait till Golden Week to see if one goes on sale. I think I might do Horizon Forbidden West's DLC next, and maybe do a little cleanup on FF7 Remake, so I can delete those two.

wankerness

Reaction score
OK, I went back to FF7 remake and replayed chapter 9 (the one with Cloud/Aerith trying to save Tifa from Don Corneo by dressing cloud up as a girl - also featuring a battle against an EVIL HOUSE) to get the last two quests I missed. In like, 5 seconds of cutscene with Aerith and Cloud interacting and her trying to high five him I was completely charmed. The dialogue is bad, yeah, but man are the main characters nailed in this game and SO good compared to most other games out there right now. I also love the goofiness with the stupid squat contest and the dance number and everything. I guess I'm going all in on Rebirth. We'll see if the ending makes me upset.

wankerness

Reaction score
Bethesda's just incapable of making games more than once every 5 years, and the ones they've made since Skyrim are bad, so this is all we get.

I remember when the Xbox 360 came out and there were basically no games for it for like a year. I think Oblivion was about all it had till Gears of War came out, and then it was like another year before third party stuff like Mass Effect started coming out and they finally started getting some momentum. PS5's doing wayyyy better than that unless you're one of those people that claims that all that comes out are remakes/remasters (IIRC they were 3/20 of the top selling games on the platform last year). That seems to be a common viewpoint on Reddit.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
Bethesda's just incapable of making games more than once every 5 years, and the ones they've made since Skyrim are bad, so this is all we get.

I remember when the Xbox 360 came out and there were basically no games for it for like a year. I think Oblivion was about all it had till Gears of War came out, and then it was like another year before third party stuff like Mass Effect started coming out and they finally started getting some momentum. PS5's doing wayyyy better than that unless you're one of those people that claims that all that comes out are remakes/remasters (IIRC they were 3/20 of the top selling games on the platform last year). That seems to be a common viewpoint on Reddit.
360 launched with 6 brand new exclusives, including 2 brand new IPs. This is an all time awful take.

Additionally, every non exclusive couldn't be played in HD on other consoles.

PS5 And Xbox Series have no games.

wankerness

Reaction score
360 launched with 6 brand new exclusives, including 2 brand new IPs. This is an all time awful take.

Additionally, every non exclusive couldn't be played in HD on other consoles.

PS5 And Xbox Series have no games.
Yeah, it had exclusives that were on the level of the PS5/Series X launch titles like BUGSNAX. No one talks about pretty much any 360 games released before Gears of War besides Oblivion really, which was better on PC by far. Maybe Dead Rising? I remember the year it launched where being over at a friend's house was like "uhh...we could play...Perfect Dark Zero?" and then we'd just go back to the regular Xbox and play Halo or the PS2 and play timesplitters or whatever instead. And what kind of criteria is "couldn't be played in HD on other consoles?" That's not impressive considering PS3 wasn't out for another year, and nothing in the previous gen could do HD - some of those launch games like Quake 4 were also on PC and were much better on PC. Same as today!

I just don't get the rose colored glasses thing. There weren't more good games then. There were just as few, and there was an even higher rate of garbage cause there were so many more releases in stores (just look at the supply in any used videogame store for 360 or especially Wii). The attempts at original IP were mostly about as good as the failed ones today like Forspoken or IMMORTALS: SHADOWS OF AVEUM. Sure, some franchises launched, like Mass Effect or Gears of War, but we still get attempts at new IP here and there like HZD or Fortnite or whatever, they just mostly bomb. Customers, especially those in the nostalgia generation, mostly seem to prefer what's safe and boring (boy I love COD and sports games always selling like triple anything halfway good).

We were just poor kids then that could only afford a game every few months so it seemed like there were more than we could handle! The games industry was already using horrible DLC practices (remember Arkham City, Mass Effect 2, etc with the one-time use codes for day one DLC to kill used sales?). The only thing that was really better, apart from less DLC and fewer microtransactions, was the same thing that the movie industry has done since the 90s - they've basically killed the "mid-budget game" while back then there was all kinds of junk like Bloodrayne or whatever. Which was where a lot of the original IP was, cause they tended to use the big names for the big games. Unless you were Square or Capcom whatever and released fifty different crappy Final Fantasy/Resident Evil knockoffs I guess. Some of those were hidden gems/cult classics, like God Hand or Killer 7, but most were crap.

I know a lot of my friends still consider PS1/N64 the high point of gaming, and that was when I got into it, too, but I look back at the games I was playing and most of them were janky trash. Only a few still hold up today, and many would argue some of those even don't (ex Mario 64, Ocarina of Time).

I think you're quite possibly just trolling though for some reason so I guess I shouldn't have responded seriously. Ps5 and series X absolutely have a ton of games and saying "they have no games" is blatantly wrong (or trolling), or your definition of games is some ultra-narrow specific category like roguelike card deck builder games that aren't being represented enough for your liking I guess compared to PC where they're being shit out like crazy. They just mostly aren't exclusives for PS5 and aren't at all for Xbox. If you have a very expensive PC there's not much reason to own either.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
Yeah, it had exclusives that were on the level of the PS5/Series X launch titles like BUGSNAX. No one talks about pretty much any 360 games released before Gears of War besides Oblivion really, which was better on PC by far. Maybe Dead Rising? I remember the year it launched where being over at a friend's house was like "uhh...we could play...Perfect Dark Zero?" and then we'd just go back to the regular Xbox and play Halo or the PS2 and play timesplitters or whatever instead. And what kind of criteria is "couldn't be played in HD on other consoles?" That's not impressive considering PS3 wasn't out for another year, and nothing in the previous gen could do HD - some of those launch games like Quake 4 were also on PC and were much better on PC. Same as today!

I just don't get the rose colored glasses thing. There weren't more good games then. There were just as few, and there was an even higher rate of garbage cause there were so many more releases in stores (just look at the supply in any used videogame store for 360 or especially Wii). The attempts at original IP were mostly about as good as the failed ones today like Forspoken or IMMORTALS: SHADOWS OF AVEUM. Sure, some franchises launched, like Mass Effect or Gears of War, but we still get attempts at new IP here and there like HZD or Fortnite or whatever, they just mostly bomb. Customers, especially those in the nostalgia generation, mostly seem to prefer what's safe and boring (boy I love COD and sports games always selling like triple anything halfway good).

We were just poor kids then that could only afford a game every few months so it seemed like there were more than we could handle! The games industry was already using horrible DLC practices (remember Arkham City, Mass Effect 2, etc with the one-time use codes for day one DLC to kill used sales?). The only thing that was really better, apart from less DLC and fewer microtransactions, was the same thing that the movie industry has done since the 90s - they've basically killed the "mid-budget game" while back then there was all kinds of junk like Bloodrayne or whatever. Which was where a lot of the original IP was, cause they tended to use the big names for the big games. Unless you were Square or Capcom whatever and released fifty different crappy Final Fantasy/Resident Evil knockoffs I guess. Some of those were hidden gems/cult classics, like God Hand or Killer 7, but most were crap.

I know a lot of my friends still consider PS1/N64 the high point of gaming, and that was when I got into it, too, but I look back at the games I was playing and most of them were janky trash. Only a few still hold up today, and many would argue some of those even don't (ex Mario 64, Ocarina of Time).

I think you're quite possibly just trolling though for some reason so I guess I shouldn't have responded seriously. Ps5 and series X absolutely have a ton of games and saying "they have no games" is blatantly wrong (or trolling), or your definition of games is some ultra-narrow specific category like roguelike card deck builder games that aren't being represented enough for your liking I guess compared to PC where they're being shit out like crazy. They just mostly aren't exclusives for PS5 and aren't at all for Xbox. If you have a very expensive PC there's not much reason to own either.
Yeah, 360 had more games in a year than PS5 has in 4. What is your point?

wankerness

Reaction score
I really don't understand why you have so much hostility towards me, so OK, I still don't understand YOUR point either but clearly you just want to be nasty instead of engage.

gabito

Stay at home musician
Reaction score
Regarding exclusives and current gen: I think I could've played most if not all of the PS5's games I've played so far on a PS4 (albeit at a lower resolution / frame rate, and suffering longer loading times, I think), so yeah... probably.

But at the same time the PS5's backwards compatibility gives the players a ton of existing games when you buy the device (similar to what buying a PC does), so there's that too.

I know there are several PS5 exclusives or even games that run on PS5 / XBox's current gen only, though. I'm talking about the games that interest me. I usually buy Sony's devices because I want to play some of the games exclusive to Playstation, namely TLOU, GoW, Uncharted, and a few more. No other reasons. None of those exist for this gen exclusively, but they may? One can only hope :lol:

I don't think that consoles generations exist in the "traditional" sense anymore, or at least there's not a clear cut as it used to: "this generation ended, buy the next thing if you want to play the new games". Probably because consoles are more and more like a specialized PC, and also because some of other technical and commercial / marketing reasons...

Oh well, games load fast and look nice, so I'm happy with my PS5 regardless of exclusive games availability.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
The farther we go into the always-online, subscription-based, live-service future, the actual hardware and generational lines become less and less relevant. I think both teams (Sony and MS) view the consoles less as distinct systems now, and more as delivery platforms - the product is not the console, it's the software and subscriptions. If there were more hard lines between the gens, no backwards compatibility, a big focus on unit sales of exclusives, etc., then you wouldn't have the value proposition of a massive library for $x/month.

wankerness

Reaction score
The lines are also fuzzy with where you define a "library" for the last two gens of console. There's less like...reputable games with physical copies now than there used to be. But if you count the 8 trillion "indie games" (probably about 5% of which are legitimate games and the other 95% are shovelware that make Wii shovelware look like AAA product) that are available on every console's e-store then there's way, way, way more games than ever available before. It's too bad the blatant asset flip garbage and worse are (AFAIK) given equal standing by the storefronts to actually good indie games like a Hollow Knight or Tchia or Hades or whatever except by popularity. Like, I mean if you look up SUPER GACHA HENTAI KANDY KRUSH and look at it it's going to look the same in the storefront to Hades, not that you shouldn't be able to tell from any one of the million warning signs that Hades is an infinitely better game.

Looking at an actual list of PS5 launch games vs Xbox 360 launch games, it's funny cause the list of PS5 launch titles is longer....but like 2/3 of them are the PS5 upgrades to games that had already been out! DMC5, Borderlands 3, etc. Things got very blurry with what was technically a PS5 game. On top of that were the games that came out at the same time and which in theory were designed for PS5 and then scaled back for PS4, but lots of people viewed it as the reverse. Also like, if you bought a PS5 you got immediate access to a whole bunch of the major PS4 titles by default, so if this was your first foray into the Playstation ecosystem it was an amazing deal. If you had a PS4 and had already bought them, not so much. I guess it's more like upgrading your graphics card on a PC and having to pay to increase the graphical settings on the games you already had.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
God, I fucking HATE browsing thru a PS store sale and seeing "games" eating up space when you watch the trailer and find out that they're just wide open, asset store worlds with some weeb waifu and a squirt gun shooting each other as if that's a battle royale; and then there's umpteen character add-on packs for that same shitware, when it's like, show me the games that people ACTUALLY tried to make and spent more than one day from concept to product.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
The jump to Xbox 360 did seem kind of abrupt IIRC. There were rumors about backward compatibility but it was complicated in reality. I might not be recounting it all correctly, but I do remember it was underwhelming. To be fair, following Halo CE, Jet Set Radio Future, and Project Gotham Racing is a very tall order.

These were the Xbox 360 launch titles:
boxshots.jpg