What gear do I need for Djent/prog?

• Thread starter Blockstory
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Blockstory

Reaction score
I apologise if I'm not wording this properly, I understand this can be a bit of a broad question.

But basically I want to get back into music to make my own progressive/djent music and I'm considering buying a 7 string guitar to jam with. If you don't mind explaining to me, I need some recommendations on what the basic gear is that I need? I'm not going all out with a pro setup right now, I have a pretty decent PC with Logitech speakers and some Samsung headphones, so I need to know what basic drum program to use and also how to record the guitar/bass tracks? I live in a small room at the moment so I'm thinking about getting a line 6 POD, though they can be a bit expensive. Maybe someone knows of something more affordable I could start with? what VST's would you recommend?

I'm looking towards writing some stuff at my own pace (I listen to bands like Meshuggah, Behold.. The Arctopus, Periphery etc). Just wondering where I should start off to get going.

ZombieLloyd

Not one 7 string
Reaction score
A 7 or 8 string guitar.
EZDrummer 2/Superior Drummer 3/A great drummer.
A Focusrite Scarlett Solo audio interface.
Axe FX 3/AX8 if you want to go the digital route.
Headphones and/or studio monitors. A lot of people recommend the Yamaha HS series monitors.
As for VSTs, Mercuriall's ReAxis sounds pretty good. The new Fortin Nameless Suite plugin is based on the amp Fortin made for Meshuggah so you might want that when it comes out.

PunkBillCarson

Reaction score
An ERG, digital effects unit, an annoying amount of high mids (if you can find a duck to quack into the recording mic, it'd be about the same), some smug (as in it's absolutely necessary to hold anything other than your own genre in contempt. You must also use the word "generic" when referring to music you don't like), and the ability to move your palm about an inch or so up where you'd normally palm-mute.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Check out the new JST Misha Mansoor vst. I don't have it but have been hearing great things about it. Reasonably priced too

Andrew Lloyd Webber

Super Duper Moduraturr
Reaction score
Considering that

1. djent is just a branded funnel between your wallet and one guy’s SEP-IRA,

2. the genre is defined by validation through adherence to a dogmatic pyramid-model of a personality-mandated, compulsive, and often-redundant gearwhore-collecting lifestyle, and that

3. every djent-marketed product is just a reproduction of one or more signal chain-components within a PODXT patch from 2009,

then we arrive at an understanding that the only consistent djent tool has been Misha himself. So you can either feel thrifty by buying a PODXT and searching “bulb” on Line6 CustomTone, or you can feel state-of-the-art through buying whatever plugins and rack gear are released between now and when djent is deemed unprofitable (which, according to at least one touring djent guitarist, has already occurred).

Happy buying!

Emperor Guillotine

The Almighty Ruler
Reaction score
Considering that

1. djent is just a branded funnel between your wallet and one guy’s SEP-IRA,

2. the genre is defined by validation through adherence to a dogmatic pyramid-model of a personality-mandated, compulsive, and often-redundant gearwhore-collecting lifestyle, and that

3. every djent-marketed product is just a reproduction of one or more signal chain-components within a PODXT patch from 2009,

then we arrive at an understanding that the only consistent djent tool has been Misha himself. So you can either feel thrifty by buying a PODXT and searching “bulb” on Line6 CustomTone, or you can feel state-of-the-art through buying whatever plugins and rack gear are released between now and when djent is deemed unprofitable (which, according to at least one touring djent guitarist, has already occurred).

Happy buying!
I almost spit out my coffee as soon as I read the first two. :lol:

Again, another accurate post loaded with well-delivered satirical humor in your trademark style on this forum, ALW.

Blockstory

Reaction score
Thanks a lot guys. Today I bought my new 7 string along with the scarlet audio interface and EZ Drummer. Now I have to learn how to actually use it, the gear won't be here for another fortnight probably so I'm going to sift through some stuff on tutorials on Youtube. Thanks for all your comments, I think this will be quite a learning experience, lol.

Jacksonluvr636

Reaction score
There's ton of free plugins that sound better right out of the box, imo.
This. I mean, not better than any specific plugin BUT in my opinion there is no point in spending a ton of money on all these new plugins when you have great ones for free. Especially if this is your first dip into the waters, unless of course you just want to spend a bunch of cash.

There are a ton of cheap and free VST Guitar Plugins but here are my suggestions:

Ignite Emissary- It is free and sounds pretty nice.

Thermionik- Check out the library, there are a good amount of amps and you can demo them all. If you buy they are pretty low cost imo.

TSE 808 Pedal - Free and works great.

That will cover your amp but you also need a cab. LePou offers free sims but also an IR loader for your cab sim. It is called LeCab and it works great. Then you just need IR's to load into it. There are free ones on the web but I find that the paid Celestion IR's are some of the better ones that I have tried.

Jacksonluvr636

Reaction score
Not sure what DAW you are using but there are videos on Youtube on how to get EZ drummer into your DAW. If you have never used a DAW before my 2 suggestions are to organize all of your plugins. You have to tell the DAW where to search for your files and VST's (including EZ drummer) so put them in the same place so your DAW always finds it.

Second thing is ASIO 4 all. You may need to download this if the Scarlette software is not working or recognized.

Also don't forget to arm your guitar tracks and enable monitoring :)

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I’m assuming you’re referring to what djent has evolved into, not the truv originators.

Come on guys, be serious all you really need is:
  1. A noise gate between your guita and the preamp
  2. A noise gate at the beginning of the effects loop
  3. A noise gate at the end of your effects loop
  4. A Morse code translator so you can convert esoteric, pretentious statement into bass lines

Jacksonluvr636

Reaction score
I’m assuming you’re referring to what djent has evolved into, not the truv originators.

Come on guys, be serious all you really need is:
  1. A noise gate between your guita and the preamp
  2. A noise gate at the beginning of the effects loop
  3. A noise gate at the end of your effects loop
  4. A Morse code translator so you can convert esoteric, pretentious statement into bass lines
Truv

A-Branger

Reaction score
fun aside the best tool you can get for the style of music is a noise gate.

you can get any modern amp, or amp simulator that you want... (you do NOT "need" an axefx), you can get any guitar with any pickups. Everything can be dialed up. But without a heavy noise gate you would never get that "djent" sound

work on your technique too