What guitar pick do you use?

• Thread starter Manurack
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Manurack

Nunavut Inuk
Reaction score
Not sure if this has been posted yet.

But what guitar pick do you use? When I first started playing guitar at 12 years old, I used Fender Heavys, mainly thicker picks around the 1.0mm range.

I then started using the green .88 green tortoise shell Dunlop picks because that's what James Hetfield and Kirk Hammett used when I was 14...

Fast forward a couple of years and I discovered the black Dunlop Jazz III mini picks. Fucking goldmine of a pick! It took a little while to get used to because they're basically Hobbit versions of regular guitar picks. I used one for two weeks and they were so damn comfortable and shredding became a lot easier, especially sweep picking because they're smaller. I tried using a regular green .88 green Dunlop pick again, but it wasn't the same anymore because my muscle memory became used to using the smaller Jazz III.
61GSTHvVbjS._AC_SX425_.jpg

I read several Guitar World magazine articles that the boys in Trivium, Mick Thomson of Slipknot, John Petrucci, Alexi Laiho of Children of Bodom and numerous other metal players, hell even current Blues legend Joe Bonamassa used the Jazz III's! I gave em a shot and now I'm 31, I've never looked back and still use the mini Dunlop Jazz III's!

But one guitar player that surprised me was Brian May of Queen. The fucker used a sixpence British coin as pick for most of his career! I used a 5 cent Canadian nickel a few times, which is roughly the same size as a British sixpence coin. Very metallic tone (duh)

But what is your choice of guitar picks? I've always been curious to try to those ridiculously fat guitar picks from Europe!

images (9).jpeg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

protest

Reaction score
A mix of:

Max grip carbon fiber Jazz III
Petrucci Jazz III
White Fangs

I use the white fangs most often because they seem like a middle ground between the other two, albeit thinner than both.

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score
Most of the time, I use these Jazz III clones because I have a ton of them:

If I happen across one of these Ibanez picks, I tend to prefer them:

However, I got these from my brother-in-law for Christmas and LOVE them:

Reet

Reaction score
I use Dunlop Tortex jazz 3's in 1.35 thickness. I've tried so so so so many picks and have 100's of them some costing over $20 a piece. I always come back to these and i also really dig the jazz 3 ultex 1.38 yellowish ones. I just recently tried the swiss picks and wasn't big on them. Customer service was great though.

Baelzebeard

Grinder of strings
Reaction score
I'm fairly pick agnostic. I can be functional with just about anything, but of course I have preferences.

All the Jazz III talk got me into using a more pointed tip, but the size is just too small for me. I also have trouble with picks that have too much grip. I found that I switch grips frequently while playing to accommodate different techniques, and too much grip makes it hard.

My three favorite picks are Dunlop Tortex Flows, Stringjoy Jumbo Jazz, and the Pickboy Meta Carbonate Pos a Grips. .7-1mm in thickness.
Slightly pointed tip, stiff enough, and just the right grip.
Honorable mention for the Dunlop Tortex III, and Ultex sharp.

I actually play really well with the large rounded triangle picks like the Clayton or Stringjoy. Less finger fatigue from the large gripping area.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Hand me a jazz iii and im probably fine.

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
Ernie Ball Prodigy Mini’s. I went from tortex sharp .88’s, to green m3’s, to petruccis, to prodigy minis and there’s very little I’d change about them.

Manurack

Nunavut Inuk
Reaction score
I found that artificial pinch harmonics are a lot easier with Jazz III picks because they are smaller. Sweep picking is a breeze with em! The black Jazz III's are a lot stiffer than the red ones too. I use the Max Grip ones now.

makesexnotwar

Reaction score
Jazz III XL. I switched from 1.38 mm to 0.88 mm about 6 month ago and now it feels even better.

fuji86

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
My favorites are the older Ibanez Paul Gilbert picks, their size is perfect for me between a Jazz 3 and 351s. (Bought some recently and they kind of changed the size)

Manurack

Nunavut Inuk
Reaction score
One that I thought was absolutely fucking ridiculous was John Petrucci's signature Jazz III, with one side of the pick already worn off, then Dunlop marketed it :lol: :lol: :lol:

SamSam

GAS problems
Reaction score
Winspear mini Shivs and chickenpicks badazz 3s are my current favourites.

ShredmasterD

Calls it like it is.
Reaction score
switched from dunlop purple 1.14 tortex to dunlop purple delrin standard 2mm. sometimes I use a dunlop jazz , those thick black ones

Last edited:

4Eyes

Reaction score
tortex III or ultex (I like the stuff which papa Het promotes), thicknesses from .60, through .73, .94, 1.0 to 1.14, depending on taste, strings, tuning...