What is a tube amp and what do I need to know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

7 Dying Trees

Forum MVP
Reaction score
7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
good thread!

i would have used the tube comparisons from eurotubes instead of that beast of a list (how many of those tubes actually go in guitar amps? condense maybe?) but still a good read.
I highlighted the ones for guitar amps in white :) But it is a ridiculous list, have you got a link to the eurotubes one?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
a bit late in this response..

euro-e

should be it!

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
^ those are brand specific, so it's not exactly an unbiased resource.

:D

but seriously, yeah, that's a gigantic list of tubes. kinda cool, though... makes you realize how many tubes COULD be utilized, and how few actually make it into production amplifiers.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
yeah it's biased - the man wants to sell his product lol. (and it is a good product)

is anybody opposed to me copying and pasting the info post to another site? i'd link it to here..

7 Dying Trees

Forum MVP
Reaction score
7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
This is well worth checking out if you haven't already:

How Amps Work
Cool, added it in as a resource link :)

a bit late in this response..

euro-e

should be it!
Also cool, have added the warning about bias as well :D

yeah it's biased - the man wants to sell his product lol. (and it is a good product)

is anybody opposed to me copying and pasting the info post to another site? i'd link it to here..

No problem, I don't mind, as long as the corrections make it back here, as there may be mistakes, and it'd be nice to have them rectified :)

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
shibby, thanks james :)

I'll post a link back to the thread, but i dont know if non-ss.org members will be able to get to it? they should..

cheers!

FoxZero

Zero Imperfections
Reaction score
Kickass explanations! A lot of things I wanted to know in here.

I was actually never sure how you were supposed to turn on a tube amp. :lol:

Dr. Von Goosewing

Contributor
Reaction score
There's a lot of useful info in this thread, I certainly leant a lot about tube amps... just makes me want a "real" amp more & more now... :wallbash: :lol:

lordcliffton

Reaction score
Added it in. Interestingly, in another thread, some people were recommending flipping it onto standby and then turning it off. Well, looks like that's the wrong way of doing it as well as the caps don't discharge, and something I never knew properly either! Well, kind of cool, as I am learning stuff by doing this!

great ceasars ghost.. I actually didn't know that :eek:, not that I'm super knowledgeable :spock: .. but I was doing it the way you described it above most of the time,,, & sometimes just shutting it down(power-off only) when pressed for time. THANKS! :hbang:

I'll be sure to pass along the info-just shut it down & nvm the standby.
:bowdown:

playstopause

Contributor
Reaction score
Stupid question : how long you guys generaly wait before putting the amp on "Standby" if you want to take a break, but know you'll be playing later on?

Like, is it worth putting the amp on "Standby" if you only stop for 15 minutes?
I know I wouldn't let the amp "on" for an hour without playing, but I'm just curious to see.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Stupid question : how long you guys generaly wait before putting the amp on "Standby" if you want to take a break, but know you'll be playing later on?

Like, is it worth putting the amp on "Standby" if you only stop for 15 minutes?
I know I wouldn't let the amp "on" for an hour without playing, but I'm just curious to see.

I've left it on standby for an hour before, really the longer it's on standby the better it'll sound when you come back to it. Generally I only turn the amp off when I'm going home/leaving the gig. In fact, sometimes if we're headlining and the venue wants to setup a backline, I'll turn my amp on and let it warm up while the other bands play, then I just show up on stage and go.

So to answer your question: yes. :)

djpharoah

Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This amp is awesome and is chalk full of information. Great read.:yesway:

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
dont you mean thread? :lol:

Status